Reload this Page >

Northern Portugal

Search

Northern Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 1999, 07:32 AM
Nils

Northern Portugal

Hello travellers. We will go to Porto in 3 weeks. We prefer walking in the nature and not too touristy places. Any help will be appreciated. Best regards from Nils

Old Sep 12th, 1999, 10:26 AM
Maira

Try to get to Afife, about 45 minutes north of Porto. If fits your request for out of the way, natural setting. The beach is amazingly beautiful. Nearby the town of Viana Do Castelo is worth a visit.

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 01:06 PM
Nils

<BR>Thank you Maira for your advice. I will go to Afife.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 06:48 AM
Margaret

Try Monsanto. It is an old town on a hill which is typical Portugal. But this one has been dug out of the existing granite. Homes with granite walls, pigs in granite pens. It is very charming and rather remote. When my husband and I were there last April we appeared to be just about the only tourists. A wedding was about to take place in the local church and the guests were arriving by car and by horse carts. Enjoy your trip

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 10:49 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Nils, I would suggest going up to Viana <BR>do Castello for a day and also try to include Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. <BR>This part of the Minho area is very natural and unlike any other place in <BR>all of Europe.