Reload this Page >

Northern Portugal

Search

Northern Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 12:47 PM
Jo

Northern Portugal

My husband and 2 friends will be visiting Northern Portugal in April. Any suggestions of things to see and do and also what is the temperature at this time of year. <BR>Will be grateful for any help <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 03:55 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Jo, We did 2 weeks in that area <BR>in 1996 and found it unique. Too much to <BR>tell you here, but I would strongly suggest you buy the Karen Brown book that has itineraries in Portugal--it was the best I found and has excellent tips. Most will be obvious to you as you <BR>read---but, there are 2 places that I think are must places to see. Use the <BR>village of Viano do Castello as your base to explore the Minho area. Stay at <BR>the Pousada there--called Santa Luiza---what a location and view. Also, try not to miss a walled fortress village of <BR>Marvao near Castelo de Vide---it is magical. They also have a pousada there <BR>which is excellent. Most of the other places will fall into place---Obidos, Braga, Estromoz, Evora et al. We were there in March and it did rain---April <BR>will be even better. Have fun !

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 02:49 PM
Bob

Bob: <BR>Many thanks for the info. We are actually staying in Viano do Castello, so it sounds a great base. Did you take travellers cheques in escudos or other (in our case Canadian dollars)? We were in Southern Portugal about 5 years ago, but I seem to have a memory lapse! Thanks again.

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 05:14 AM
Sara

<BR>Hi, in the North of Portugal, you can really see wonderful areas. Minho of course is very famous. We liked very much the Bragança area, often missed by hit-and-fly-back travellers. Close to Bragança there is the Montesinho natural park, which took our breath away a few years ago. Sweet hills and old villages where people are not very much used to foreigners. You should just rent a car and go around. I know that in Bragança there is a nice pousada. <BR>

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 09:21 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jo, Do not worry about travellers checks <BR>---they should be for back-up only. Use <BR>ATMs for your cash---they are in all of <BR>the towns and easy to use. We even got <BR>$100 worth of " scuds" in a small village in the Minho on a Sunday PM. <BR>You will lose 5 % trying to cash your <BR>checks---use credit cards and ATMs.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 05:54 PM
Carol

Jo, While in the north besides all the other suggestions on this forum, be sure to go to Pont de Lima...lovely town that time has left behind..old Roman bridge with women washing clothes on the rocks. There are small "quintas".. similar to B&B's that are wonderful to stay in. Karen Brown has some good info in her guide.

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 09:17 AM
Jo

Many thanks for all the info. Really looking forward to the trip. We don't know whether to take our Canadian winter woolies or rain gear or swim suits, maybe a little of both!We're hoping for some sunshine anyway. It sounds a really interesting part of the country. Hope we get to try some Port wine. <BR>