Northern Italy~ Help a Girl Out!

Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Italy~ Help a Girl Out!

Hi All! I am traveling to Italy in October for 10 days and I need some help on my itinerary.
I'm still deciding if we should take a train or rent a car. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and I'm going with my boyfriend and we are looking for a relaxing, romantic time. Definitely want to soak up the art and culture but we don't want to feel rushed. This is what I was thinking:

Fly into Milan-stay 2 days
Verona/Venice- 2 days
Cinque Terre-2 days
Tuscany/florence-3 Days
Back to Milan stay 1 night and fly out

Does this seem reasonable? We really want to stay at the Moschino Hotel and maybe the Bulgari Hotel as our splurge in Milan and just to B&Bs the rest of the time. How much spending money do you think we will need (apart from hotel/flight)?

Thanks everyone and happy safe travels to you!!!

<3 Rosie
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My personal opinion ? I think you are doing at least one, probably two , and perhaps three places too many. You will spend quite a bit of your trip travelling, booking into and out of hotels, and only a little of it actually relaxing.

I'd probably drop CT and add the time to Venice.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:45 AM
DRJ

Agreed. Drop CT and add to Venice.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:49 AM

I agree - you want a relaxing trip, but this is a lot of traveling without that much relaxing. You need to check out travel times between places. Venice to Cinque Terre will eat up a lot of one day just by itself. Look at trenitalia.com to get train times.

Our budget for our trip in May was about €100/night for accommodations. We didn't have much trouble finding that, but I started looking awhile before our trip.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:49 AM

I agree, this seems too rushed, not very relaxing. You should have 3 stops max. And finish in Milan vs. starting there.

ex:

Venice 3 days
Tuscany 4 days
Milan 3 days

if you really want to do CT (which is great) you will need (at least) 3 nights there. You will need to blow off Tuscany (or Venice), IMO.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:52 AM

Do you have to fly in-out of Milan?
Do you have to stay in Milan?
Do you have to stay in Milan twice?
Other cities also have splurge hotels, especially Venice.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 12:16 PM

I generally agree with all above - you've got a lot of travel in that itinerary and it wouldn't be near as relaxing as you hope. The CT is great but kills your plans logistically. Knock it off for now. You'll be back.

Do you have to fly in and out of Milan? Are you planning on staying in Milan because there are things you're interested in or simply because you're flying in/out of there? While there are certainly things to do/see I think it's fair to say that MOST people would not put Milan as high on their Italy list as many other sights. Give us a little more info and we can offer some better suggestions.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 12:16 PM

I generally agree with all above - you've got a lot of travel in that itinerary and it wouldn't be near as relaxing as you hope. The CT is great but kills your plans logistically. Knock it off for now. You'll be back.

Do you have to fly in and out of Milan? Are you planning on staying in Milan because there are things you're interested in or simply because you're flying in/out of there? While there are certainly things to do/see I think it's fair to say that MOST people would not put Milan as high on their Italy list as many other sights. Give us a little more info and we can offer some better suggestions.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM

Being Italian and having organized few trips for friends, maybe I can help you..
I don't know from which city of the USA you are leaving from, so I tell you what I would do.
1st day) fly out to VENICE (Delta, Air France or LH)

2nd day) Arrive in VCE in the morning.
Book a room at Hotel Belle Epoque,it is near the train station (Santa Lucia). It is at walking distance..I promise)(http://www.belleepoquehotelvenice.com/). I have been there.. New and very nice. Affordable price. Spend the day in Venice.

3rd day) Visit Venice (San marco Square, Palazzo Ducale in the morning)... stroll around in the afternoon.

4th day) Take a public boat and go to the islands of Murano (the glass island, in the morning) and Burano (the Laces's island in the afternoon).
Back to hotel

5th day) Get on a train from Venice to Verona (7:50 am VCE - 9:am Verona) Get a taxi and visit Verona.
Spend the night in Verona (it is beautiful..)

6th day) get on a train from Verona to Sestri Levante, near the Cinque Terre (VRN 7:32 - Sestri 12:17 or VRN 9:32 - Sestri 13:32). Check Grande Albergo, in Sestri Levante or Albergo Isabella (4 stars first, 1 star the second... check Villa Balbi too... or rent a room at a B&B).
Visit Sestri.
Next day take the ferry from the port (walking distance) and go to Portofino and San Fruttuoso or another trip (cant remember now the schedule but I can find out.

7th day - Vernazza and Camogli.. Out of the 5 terre, these are the 2 most beautiful who deserve to be seen there.
Dinner? Come to my restaurant.. Ristorante San Marco 1957 and meet me!! I am serious..I am moving there in a week (yyeeeeee). On the way you can stop in Santa Margerita Ligure.. love shopping there.

8th) Get on a train to Firenze Santa Maria Novella (Sestri 7:10am - Firenze 10.00AM)
9th) Firenze ... spend the morning there.... go to Pisa in the afternoon FIRENZE SMN 18:16 - PISA 19.45
eNJOY THE LEANING TOWER ..HAVE DINNER THERE....

10TH) Fly frm Pisa to NYC...

This could b a nice itinerary...first timer in Italy? skip Milano...

As far as it concerns the mony...it is very personal ...
You can have a nice breakfast for 10-12 Euro x 2 pax (cappuccino, croissant and orange juice)..
Lunch: a Panino and a bear Euro 20-25 per 2 pax
Dinner: Have just a main dish (pasta is always a best choice after a long day walk...and a dessert or gelato)... Euro 35-40 x 2 pax (it really depends by what you will be eating but this is already quite good quality I am talking)....
Shopping: up to you.
Let me know... Enjoy your trip!!!!
ciao
Elisabetta
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you all so so much for your input! I am flying out of LAX (Los Angeles) and not I'm thinking of flying into Venice as opposed to Milan. For some reason, Milan is what is drawing me to Italy because of the swanky hotels and fashion but now I'm starting to re-think things because what do I know? I've never been to Italy. Haha

Elisabetta, thank you for your ideal itinerary. This is so helpful and I printed it out to use!

Are budget is $8k US dollars for the entire trip. Doable?

Thanks!!
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:22 AM

you will live VERY well in Italy with $8K...
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM

You could easily spend that much, but you could also easily not, assuming airfare isn't terrible. I just spent a full two weeks with a friend and we spent around $3,000 each. Our tickets were
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Question: Should I rule out Tuscany/Florence or is it a MUST in Italy. It seems a little out of the way but the Tuscan pools and the green grass are calling to me!

Also, should we rent a car???
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM

Tuscany is certainly not a must; you have to short-list a few great places and do those. (Personally, i would drop Milan, but everyone has different preferrences. In fact, Lake Como, just north of Milan, is a lot better.)

You would probably need a car for Tuscany (but not a must); for the other locations you would not need one.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input!! I'm scratching Tuscany and now thinking Rome. Some people say why go to Italy and not experience Rome. Thoughts on this?? Also toying with the idea of Vernazza (As described by Elisabetta) or Capri. So many places to see!! I don't want to screw this up!

-Rosie
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 03:21 PM

There are at least 82--or is it 92---must sees in Italy.
After 17 trips I still have not seen them all. Plan 3 destinations for this short trip and start to plan your return trips before you get back since you will return.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 04:14 PM

Go where you want to go. You won't screw it up. There's no way you'll see everything in one ten-day trip. I liked Rome (after a day or two) but it is completely different than Tuscany, and I don't think it's relaxing. If the goal is a laid-back trip, I'd stick with some of your original plan (except Milan).

Remember, it's your trip, not "some people"'s trip.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:08 PM

This is what I recommend to you.
Decide for an area of Italy.
NORTH WEST :
Cinque Terre: (Vernazza, Manarola, Corniglia, Riomaggiore, Monterosso)- Portofino, Santa Margherita Ligure, Lake Como,
North Part of Tuscany

NORTH EAST
Milan, Verona, Lago di Garda, Vicenza, Padova Venice and its islands of Murano, Burano and Torcello)

MIDDLE ITALY: (Tuscany and Rome)
Rome
Florence, Siena, (visit town plus cooking classes)
San Gimignano, Volterra, Arezzo (go to the Antique Market here. It is held on the first week=end of each month, all year round), Cortona (Under the Tuscan Sun movie), Montalcino and Montepulciano (wine tasting and oil tasting)

SOUTH ITALY:
Rome, Napoli, Capri, Pompeii, Ercolano, Sorrento, Amalfi and Costa Amalfitana

Staying in one area, will save you money and travelling time, while gaining time to visit places.
There is really a lot to see in Italy. You will be surprised!!!
You can spend an entire week in Rome and still have a lot left out to be seen.
Impossible to see all at once. And you will want to come back.

FIRST TIMER?
Tuscany. Check Air France (they fly from Paris into Florence and into Pisa.
Spend few days in FLORENCE…. From there by train go to Siena .. stay few days..rent a car and visit all the listed places I gave you…

I hope you will find your way...
I know all these places very well.. I have visited them many times...
Ciao
Elisabetta Rebuffi
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Go a lot coming from the US save a tonne on a round trip

into MXP(Milan) cheapest to Train around...

In Milan stay in the Duomo Area otel.com booking.com

Train to sirmione.com Lake Garda cheap couple of hours

Train to Venice www.hotelpausania.it #211 cute romantic 59 eur

for me in May couple of days there then Florence then

CT/Portofino www.metropole.it my fav there back to Milan

Sort of all you have time for.

eurocheapo.com great budget tips

virtualtourist.com great tips for locals

Cheapest best way to do it for me.

Happy Travels,
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:25 PM

www.spg.com October 2 years ago

got a Grand Canal Suite at the Westin

Europa Regina for 3 nights on their Amex Card

Cost me 4500 starwood points plus 59 euro/nt

for 3 nites on their cash plus points deal.

U have time to snag a deal like that

Venice-tourism.com is the pick of the litter for me

Splurge for a canal view room like that AWESOME

and not too expensive...

betterbidding.com great deals bidding priceline.com in

big cities from $80... also get great deals that way...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -