Search

northern italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM
act
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
northern italy

this fall we're renting a villa in todi for a week to do the hill towns by car. four of us will stay another week. we are thinking about going to the cinque terre, parma or bologna and then venice. we're thinking about taking the train rather than rent a car. (we've been to florence.) does anyone have any suggestions for a better trip? any hills towns of particular merit? different mode of trans? hotels, restaurants of value and note? we're 50-60, healthy, love good food, wine and architecture.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 07:50 AM

My first question is when in the fall you will be traveling. Later fall is not so good for the coast, i.e., the Cinque Terre.

If it's later in the fall, Bologna makes an especially good stop. Especially for foodies. And Venice is always good, but the later, the less touristed.

Leaving your villa you could drive for the first leg and hit Gubbio (if you haven't seen it already) and Ravenna (many great mosaics), maybe Ferraro and Urbino.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 07:58 AM
act
Original Poster

last weekend in sept and first in oct. thanks
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 01:06 PM

What hill towns are you hoping to see from Todi. That location is not the best for that purpose?
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 01:25 PM
act
Original Poster

perhaps these are not all hill towns but assisi, orvieto, bagnoregio, narni, perugia, spella or bevagna are possibilities. we are in todi because a friend's cousin owns the villa and he gave us a deal we could not turn down. several people have said we were better of in umbria than tuscany for some reason. does not matter to me.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Orvieto, Narni, Spello and Perugia are certainly hill towns! Umbria is loaded with hill towns.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 03:09 PM

You'll have no trouble finding wonderful hill towns to visit from your cousin's villa in Todi. (Why don't I have a cousin like that?) Umbria is rich in art, beauty, truffles, and chocolate -- and fewer tourists than Tuscany. And easier driving. If you like wine, make sure to drink Sagrantino from Montefalco and Orvieto white before you leave Umbira. Perugia's chocolates are my favorite in Italy, hands down.

Your time frame is perfect for all the destinations you mention for your second week, including le Cinque Terre. However, le Cinque Terre is a dogleg from your other destinations, involving a long train ride and the possibility of not being lucky with good weather for the brief time you can only spend there.

For lovers of architecture as well good food and wine, I highly recommend you make the most of a base in Bologna, with its wonderfully easy train connections. From there, you can easily visit by train not only delicious Parma, with its fantastic cathedral and other sights, but Ravenna with its incomparable jewel-like mosaics, and the all-weather, no-cars town of Ferrara, rich in architecture and GREAT food

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...nvents-holiday

plus Modena (World Heritage site, legendary balsamic vinegar), Brisighella and Faenza if you have special interests in ceramics and undertouristed towns-- and even lake-filled, art-filled Mantova with all its great food, or Verona if you have the time and energy.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Good for you---have fun !