Search

Northern Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2024, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Italy

Hello all! Our family of 4 (daughters ages 17 and 21) are traveling to Italy in late July for 9 nights. We are flying in and out of Milan. I have 4 nights booked in Venice and 4 nights in Lake Como and will book 1 night in Milan. Our trip starts in Venice and ends in Lake Como and can do 1 night in Milan at the beginning or the end. Lake Como is a must do for us - thoughts on Venice? Is it too far? Is there somewhere else we should consider that’s closer to Milan?
Thanks!
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 07:36 AM

It might be easier to fly into Venice and out of Milan or even in and out of Venice.
train Journey times:
Venice airport - Varenna/Lake Como: 4 1/2 hrs
Milan Malpensa airport - Varenna/Lake Como: 2 1/2 hrs
Venice Sta Lucia (main railway station) - Varenna/Lake Como: 4 1/2 hrs
Milan Malpensa airport - Venice Sta Lucia: 3 1/2 hrs
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by andreaanzevino2592
Hello all! Our family of 4 (daughters ages 17 and 21) are traveling to Italy in late July for 9 nights. We are flying in and out of Milan. I have 4 nights booked in Venice and 4 nights in Lake Como and will book 1 night in Milan. Our trip starts in Venice and ends in Lake Como and can do 1 night in Milan at the beginning or the end. Lake Como is a must do for us - thoughts on Venice? Is it too far? Is there somewhere else we should consider that’s closer to Milan?
Thanks!
Well there are certainly other places than Como and Venice, but Venice is unique. Maggiore is really nice. July is probably going to be very hot and packed with tourists. If I was going here I might look at any of Turino, Padova, Ferrara, Bologna, Brescia, Mandova.

What exactly interests you Milano, Largo Como and Venezia and what are you seeking out of this holiday?
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 07:44 AM

Regardless of your flight schedule, you need to be back in Milan the night before your departure from the airport, so if you only have one night for Milan, it should be put at the end of your trip.

I agree with neckervd fly into Venice if you can. Venice imho is special and one of my favorite cities in Europe. Plan ahead to prebook landmarks that you wish to see in Venice (and Milan, if applicable). If you are wanting to see some of Milan, it is also advisable to prebook some places as well, and you might need to consider 2 nights if you're actually planning on sightseeing Milan.

I cannot comment on Lake Como but I would also put it between Venice and Milan.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want to see The Last Supper in Milan during your brief visit, you'll need to get timed entry reservations as soon as tickets for your date(s) become available.

Do you know where you want to stay at Lake Como? I'd look into lodging availability ASAP.
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jean
Do you know where you want to stay at Lake Como? I'd look into lodging availability ASAP.
Exactly.. It’s almost the end of February and if you haven’t booked your hotels, especially in the Lago Di Como area, you’ll be SOL if you start looking even in March. Places book solid in those places early and many people book them many months in advance. Also Lake Como is huge and there are a multitude of little towns, villages and hamlets where one could possibly get lodging. Bellagio, Menaggio, Varenna, Mandello, these are but a few of them. Don’t stay in Como, unless you want a boring ugly city. I agree with other posters who’ve said to fly into Venice and fly from Milano. Luckily Milano has two major airports to choose from. Anyway, good luck with your searches
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by andreaanzevino2592
Thanks!
Venice is an absolute MUST ! Between Como and Venice, spend one night in the extremely charming Sirmione, on Lake Garda, which many consider the most beautiful.
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 03:18 AM

Yeah landing in Milan and having to take a long train ride, after flying in from the US is not great.

that Train ride can’t be avoided if both Venice and Lake Como are absolute must but do it between long plane flights.

Open jaw flight tickets — fly into Milan and out of Venice or vice versa — are a must to optimize travel days and make the travel less stressful.

Also, it’s possible to go to Milan Malpensa airport on the same morning as the return flight. It’s less than an hour drive but I don’t know if Como town has as many bus or trains running to the airport as from Milan. Especially if you have to set out for the airport at 7-8 AM or even earlier.
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by scrb11
Yeah landing in Milan and having to take a long train ride, after flying in from the US is not great.

that Train ride can’t be avoided if both Venice and Lake Como are absolute must but do it between long plane flights.

Open jaw flight tickets — fly into Milan and out of Venice or vice versa — are a must to optimize travel days and make the travel less stressful.

Also, it’s possible to go to Milan Malpensa airport on the same morning as the return flight. It’s less than an hour drive but I don’t know if Como town has as many bus or trains running to the airport as from Milan. Especially if you have to set out for the airport at 7-8 AM or even earlier.
I'd suggest flying into Venice rather than out of it. Most flights leave absurdly early out of VCE. But depending on OPs schedules it may work for their family.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 04:06 PM

Loved Como. Had a great apt in the Old City and it was a delightful walkable visit. Yes other towns on the Lake but much smaller Como. check out youtube videoes on towns you want to consider,
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jan47ete
Loved Como. Had a great apt in the Old City and it was a delightful walkable visit. Yes other towns on the Lake but much smaller Como. check out youtube videoes on towns you want to consider,
Ive been to Como but I prefer Lecco over Como any day of the week. I’ve spent a lot of time in the north over the years and lived there too.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by happy_traveler_too
Ive been to Como but I prefer Lecco over Como any day of the week. I’ve spent a lot of time in the north over the years and lived there too.

Hmm, never considered Lecco. Never visited in the times I've been to Lake Como. I took a train from Varenna to Bergamo and it stopped in Lecco, maybe there were views before and after Lecco from the train.

But looking around on Google Maps, Parco Valentino looks STUNNING. Hard to get to but I've bookmarked that place. My question is, why isn't there a gondola going up to it?