Potential UK trip

Search

Potential UK trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2024, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential UK trip

Hi all. Everyone was so helpful last time I posted a potential itinerary, so I thought I'd do it again. I don't know when I'll be taking this trip, but this I what I'm hoping to do when I do.

-Fly to London from Sydney

-London hostel (5 nights)
(Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage)
-Day trip to Bath (Jane Austen festival in Sept?)
-Day trip to Cotswolds (GYG tour)

-London to Matlock via train (3 hrs)
Stay 2-3 nights
-Visit Chatsworth House and Peak District

-Matlock to Edinburgh via train (5 hrs)
Stay 1 week+

-Edinburgh to London via train (5 hrs)

-London to Paris (3 hrs)
Stay 1 week+
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess you've chosen the London accommodation due to cost. I know London hotels are very expensive. But it would be worthwhile checking on the Transport for London TFL website to see what the fares are if you need to travel each day, to get to museums, galleries, theatre, etc. It will cost you time and money to travel on the tube or bus but if you stayed more centrally, you could potentially walk to some things. You might be surprised at how public transport costs add up.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 10:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- have you been to London before? If not you are cutting your time there VERY short. You have just four usable days and two of those you are spending on long/tiring coach tours. Added to that you are staying up in Swiss Cottage so you will spend quite a bit of time just getting from place to place.

London to Matlock does take a bit more than 3 hours - depending on which train you catch it is a 3.5 to 4 hour journey with two changes. And Matlock to Edinburgh takes 5.5 to 6.5 hrs with 2 or 3 changes.

Edinburgh to London to Paris is a VERY long journey if you mean to do it in one day eights hours on trains is a lot even for train geeks . It would be a lot faster and easier and likely quite a bit cheaper to fly from EDI to CDG - even adding in the time to get to/from the airports.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 10:18 PM

One note re the location of the hostel -- it really shouldn't add much to transit costs since Swiss Cottage in in zone 2. But it will add a fair bit to travel times.

Is there a reason you specifically chose Palmers Lodge? There are good hostels in more central locations (also some crap ones so you need to carefully read the reviews). A couple of examples: onefam in Notting Hill is close to the Bayswater tube station; the Walrus is very central next to Waterloo station and just across the river from Parliament.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 10:37 PM

Are you flying home from Paris? If you haven't booked flights like that before - look at the multi-city option on airline websites. Sydney to London (Heathrow or Gatwick) then Paris to Sydney.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Is there a reason you specifically chose Palmers Lodge?
I haven't been to London before, but I didn't intend to stay very long, as what I most want to see is out of the city. I more intend to use it as a base for day trips. But if you think I should stay longer and enjoy more local places I'll consider it.
I chose Palmer's Lodge because it looks pretty nice and the price is good, but I'm open to staying elsewhere. I'm just a little picky about hostels.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayF
Are you flying home from Paris? If you haven't booked flights like that before - look at the multi-city option on airline websites. Sydney to London (Heathrow or Gatwick) then Paris to Sydney.
The last leg of the trip is unsure yet, as im considering whether i should extend my trip to stay with a friend in NY, but if not, i do intend to fly home from Paris.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bore on about this group of hostels because they are so good. There is an affiliate Scottish organisation. https://www.yha.org.uk
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 10:13 AM

I liked Haddon Hall in Bakewell more than Chatsworth. Just personal preference.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 11:12 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stokebailey
I liked Haddon Hall in Bakewell more than Chatsworth. Just personal preference.
I couldn’t agree more. Here’s a short write up of my visit there:

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/gum...yshire-england

As you can see in the photos it isn’t about glitz if that’s your preference.

Old Feb 25th, 2024, 01:24 PM

IME/IMO one should try to visit all three - Chatsworth, Haddon Hall and Hardwick Hall. Each is different and each is fascinating. Especially Hardwick Hall with its remarkable design and 'more glass than wall'. Bess of Hardwick owned both Chatsworth and Hardwick - married four times the first time at age 13, and each time becoming wealthier and and more 'important' and when she died in her 80's she was the richest woman in the country.

Chatsworth and Haddon Hall are 5 or 6 miles apart and Hardwick Hall is 20 miles west right off the M1.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
I couldn’t agree more. Here’s a short write up of my visit there:

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/gum...yshire-england

As you can see in the photos it isn’t about glitz if that’s your preference.
Yes, MmeP. Nice write up! Fortunately, benign neglect did save Haddon Hall from the age of gilt.
​​​​​
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 05:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
. . . Chatsworth and Haddon Hall are 5 or 6 miles apart and Hardwick Hall is 20 miles west right off the M1.
East.

Old Feb 25th, 2024, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

IME/IMO one should try to visit all three - Chatsworth, Haddon Hall and Hardwick Hall. Each is different and each is fascinating. Especially Hardwick Hall with its remarkable design and 'more glass than wall'. Bess of Hardwick owned both Chatsworth and Hardwick - married four times the first time at age 13, and each time becoming wealthier and and more 'important' and when she died in her 80's she was the richest woman in the country.

Chatsworth and Haddon Hall are 5 or 6 miles apart and Hardwick Hall is 20 miles west right off the M1.
How long would it take to visit each of them? 1 a day? Or can I see more than one in a day? And where should I stay if I do decide to see them all?
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by MIACHARLIE
I haven't been to London before, but I didn't intend to stay very long, as what I most want to see is out of the city. I more intend to use it as a base for day trips. But if you think I should stay longer and enjoy more local places I'll consider it.
I chose Palmer's Lodge because it looks pretty nice and the price is good, but I'm open to staying elsewhere. I'm just a little picky about hostels.
I think the hotel you have chosen is in a pretty good location. close to Swiss Cottage Tube which will take you to the West End in 15 min and only a few extra stops to Westminster.. For you trip north, many intercity buses pick up and drop off at stops along Finchley Road a short distance from that hostel. You would like have to change in somewhere like Derby to get to where you want to go but I feel that would likely be more convenient than the train (especially if visiting this year as it is highly likely that there will still be industrial action on the rail system).

Old Feb 26th, 2024, 01:29 AM

Out of those 3, I've only visited Chatsworth but as long as you can easily get from one to another (bus, train, taxi?) I'd probably do 2 in one day but not 3. I love seeing those stately homes but I think you can glaze over after a while, it all seems a bit same-y. See one or two, then start afresh in the morning. Also check for opening days/hours as I think most of these places aren't open all year.

Mia I seem to remember from your last trip that you're quite young, so these trips may not be for you, but it's something you could think about for another time. Martin Randall Travel have short tours (like 6 days) where they visit stately homes, castles etc. If you go on the website, look at UK, then choose Houses and Gardens as the theme. For example - Great Houses of the South West, Scottish Houses and Castles, Walking to Derbyshire Houses etc. I'd love to do all of these, I find the buildings and the lifestyle they lived fascinating.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 05:22 AM

RE: London Hotels
Sounds like you may be a solo traveller. Can you price the Hub by Premier Inns? I've stayed at several, and they suit my purposes well. Not fancy, but clean and in great locations. You could choose a location near St. Pancras/Kings Cross for access to the trains.

RE: Peak District
I stayed in Bakewell and loved it. I did take the bus to Matlock and wandered around there as well, and I think I'd prefer staying in Bakewell.
It sounds like you may be interested in Regency/Georgian and Austen/Bronte, etc. If yes, Haddon Hall, while much older, is incredible, and wonderfully preserved and romantic. I love Chatsworth, too, and have visited twice. I need a full day for the gardens and the house. I've not been to Hardwick, yet, but it's less in my sphere of interest, though I'm eager to visit some day.

RE: Austen/Bronte
If you can cut some time from Edinburgh (which I would), consider a trip to Haworth to visit the Bronte Parsonage and a walk/hike to Top Withens. While in London, Carlyle's House is wonderful to visit in Chelsea. It's like you've stepped back in time. (Dickens Museum is also good, but I found Carlyle's House far more atmospheric.) Also from London, Chiswick House has an incredible regency history and connection to the Devonshire dukedom (Chatsworth is the seat, I believe). Also, Chiswick has a cute little high street to wander down.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 05:24 AM

deleted; posted twice in error

Last edited by ChgoGal; Feb 26th, 2024 at 05:27 AM.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
East.

OOPS -- of course --face slap. I've done that more than once - need to pay more attention before clicking submit.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 09:47 AM

A couple of hours at Haddon Hall will do it , including possibly a visit to their cafe.

There are three bus lines that run past Haddon between Bakewell and Matlock, and another bus will take you from Bakewell Center to Chatsworth.

I'm planning to take a train soon from St. Pancras to Derby, then another to Matlock, then bus/coach to Bakewell. From my point of view, the rural coach service is outstanding.

Last edited by stokebailey; Feb 26th, 2024 at 10:05 AM.