Northern Ireland Trip - Any Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an idea of where I would like to go by reading and re-reading the travel books, but am pretty flexible. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? The only problem (?) is that I will be traveling mainly by bus or train. I'm too afraid to drive!

I will be traveling probably next March. Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 12:59 PM
BMC

I mentioned in another thread, you'll want to do an old black cab tour of Belfast, a walking tour of Derry and visit Ballintoy. Those were my favorite places. (Ballintoy is right beside the Giant's Causeway so it is an ideal spot)
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Hi Heidi

What ever you do go for a trip around the Antrim Coast. Make sure u visit Portstewart and Portrush (Giants Causeway and Carrick a reed rope bridge and bushmills are all close)really great beach in Portstewart. Im from Tyrone so I would suggest a visit to Omagh etc - (Ulster American Folk Park - great tourist attraction.

what ever u do enjoy yourself - if you want any further info let me know

cheers
selwyn
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:27 AM
ice

Our local bus company arranges tours, both for Belfast and further afield the address is www.translink.co.uk/tours.asp Have a good time Ice
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 02:11 AM

I second everything Selwyn says. The Antrim coast is beautiful. I spend a lot of time in Portrush/Portstewart area, so if you need any advice on accommodations/restaurants, please let me know.

Angela
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Sel:

Thanks for your help I have lots of questions and so little time! Any suggestions of where to stay?
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:26 AM

Hi Heidi

I agree with Ice - check out translink for tours etc. You can also get a train from Belfast to Portrush as well as to L/Derry. Im not to familar with the best places to stay in Portstewart/Portrush etc because I usually stay with friends - it will also depend when you are intending to visit and how you you intend to stay - july/august can be very busy so i would suggest booking ahead - mayde try the tourist board. There are plenty of nice places to eat in the area and I would go to the Anchor Bar in Portstewart for a few pints and good food.

Check out the Bus trips from Belfast but I would rather stay in the area and check it out.

Hopefully Angela will be able to give you more detailed info on accommodation etc

Other areas worth a visit would be Fermanagh - lots of lakes etc and amybe the area around Loch Neagh (near Antrim town)

cheers
selwyn
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Sel:

Thanks for your help and advice - Wish I could go in July or August but I gotta work! I'm sure I'll have a great time.

Heidi
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:39 AM

I agree with Sel. SHe has given you great ideas...all of them..
DO go to the Ulster Folk Museum. It is great.
Have a good time.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:56 AM

Heidi

I just happened to have the following saved in my computer from when I was helping someone else plan their trip to Portstewart. It might not all be relevant, but it's a start!:

http://www.theanchorbar.com/index2.htm ? This is a pub with accommodation in the heart of Portstewart. I highly recommend it for a drink, it?s where I go myself and the atmosphere and people are great. Friends of mine have stayed here and the rooms are clean and nice, and it is very handy if you have had a few drinks downstairs. It is inexpensive also.

http://www.cromore.com/ - This is about one mile from Portstewart towm. It is a restaurant with accommodation. It would be slightly more ?upmarket? than the Anchor. Again, friends have stayed here, and the rooms would be slightly nicer (and newer) than The Anchor. I THINK they are similar in price.

http://www.maddybenny.freeserve.co.uk/prod04.htm - This is two miles out of Portstewart and Portrush. It is on a country road, and I have never stayed here. I really only gave you this address because their website is excellent! If you go to the ?places of interest? section, it gives you so much information on the whole area.

If you give us some more info. ie how much you want to spend on accommodation, I can suggest others.

Angela
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Angela: This is great - I can't tell you how much this helps!!

Heidi
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:13 AM

The following is a link to a nice hotel in the centre of Portrush. It has a bar and a restaurant. In my opinion though, Portstewart is much prettier and cleaner than Portrush (and quiter), but it does depend what you are after.

http://www.comforthotelportrush.com/

Hope this helps

Angela
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Haven't seen Armagh mentioned. I would suggest you stay a day or so in that area? Can't remember the Hotel we stayed at but it was right in center of town and was a trip back- nice and old! I would also suggest you visit my favorite stop on the Northwest coast- Killybegs-
a small fishing village that is worth a stay. Just an opinion. One more- YOU SHOULD RENT A CAR AND DRIVE!
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Armagh is my hometown! It is 1 hour 30 mins drive from Portrush area. And I agree, you should rent a car and drive.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

I would rent a car but am afraid the locals would kill me for being such a lousy driver!! Really, I'll save everyone the aggravation of having to drive behind me. And don't get me started on the roundabouts either! Nah, I'm just way to afraid!
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 07:32 AM

Hi Heidi

I have to agree with Oberost & Angela regarding hiring a car and driving. If you want to see allot of the sites etc in N Ireland having access to a car is a must. Public transport is ok but not great - no train service etc to the west (Tryone etc). Places like Giants Causeway, Ulster American Folk Park etc are slightly out of the way (unless your on a bus trip) and easist got to by car. This will give you more flexibility in your travels.

You should have no worries about driving in NI - most of the roads are off very good standard and with the exception maybe of Belfast not as busy as you might think - depends really what you are used to. Whatever you do don't forget to check out Belfast - a great place to stay and plenty of things to do (great nightlife if your after a few pints etc)

selwyn
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 08:04 AM

Hello Heidi. We were in Belfast a month ago for two days. We stayed at a lovely BandB, 2 miles from city centre (http://www.roseleighhouse.co.uk), with convenient bus service to city nearby.
Did the Black Cab Tour, it picked us up and dropped us off at the BandB. Paid 30 British Lbs. for the two of us, for about a 2 hour tour of the city, Shankill and Falls roads, with stops everywhere. Also, Milltown Cemetary-where the Ira Roll of Honor is, (very interesting, Bobby Sands grave and other graves of hunger strikers). Murals in West Belfast were awesome, and in Shankill the curbs were painted with Ulster colors, red white and blue. A moving experience, believe me.
Crown Liquor Saloon in downtown Belfast was much fun, ornate mahogany interior, individual booths (snugs?). Apparently NI's best known pub.
So much more to see. Have a great time when you go, we certainly did!...Helen
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:18 AM

I agree that renting a car is easily the best way to see NI. The Torr Rd is spectacular and you won't get there without a car. On the otherhand, if you are afraid, you will drive as if you are afraid and that is more dangerous. On my last trip, I took note of the passengers jumping on and off the tour buses and thought that, though I wouldn't want tot travel that way, I'm sure glad they did. I was tring to imagine each of those buses turning into 20 or more cars with terrified drivers behind the wheel.

If you are truly quite afraid of driving, you probably shouldn't do it. Getting into a roundabout is pretty easy if you approach it with confidense. Otherwise, it could be disastrous.

Bill
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your tips... I am really looking forward to my trip... You've been great and thanks a lot.

Heidi