Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Northern Germany, Peenemunde and what else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I like to take one week trips to Europe, leaving on Friday evening and returning the following Sunday. Well actually, we'd prefer to take one month trips but budget and vacation time from work just don't allow that

Anyway,for next summer we're considering northern Germany because he would like to see the Peenemünde Historical Technical Museum. I'm trying to figure out what else we might do in the area. We have already been to Berlin, so that's probably not on the list.

Our interests are history, museums of all types, pretty towns to walk around in, and just general sightseeing. We don't care about night life or gourmet dining. We don't mind a fast paced trip and we're open to trains or renting a car.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 09:27 AM

Peenemunde museum is fantastic. Very well presented, and very honestly done as well.
There are some interesting places along the coast, and you may be interested in Prora on Rügen.

The coast is quite touristy, and can be crowded.
Inland is an area of lakes, with lovely villages. Can't remember the name off hand, and I am on my phone so can't look at my photos to find out. Muritz perhaps?

We headed down to Magdeburg, but never got to see it because the dog was ill and so we headed home. Burg, by. Magdeburg was an interesting town.
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 09:33 AM

Prora is the obvious destination when you're also visiting Peenemünde. From nearby Sassnitz there is a wonderful walk through the woods to Königsstuhl and back along the beach.
Wismar is a nice small town, Stralsund has its attractions, and Lübeck is a much underrated highlight.
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 09:46 AM

The V1 & V2 museum on Peenemunde is fabulous, in fact there is a driving/cycling trail of V1 and V2 heritage on the island so definitely do that. Near the museum is a Soviet Cold War diesel sub that might finally be open.

The island of Rugen has lots of prehistoric standing stones and graves so that's pretty cool. Sassnitz has a British Cold War diesel sub that makes for an interesting tour.

Stralsund has a great aquarium that specializes in Baltic and North Atlantic aquatic life.

You can tour the nuclear plant Lubmin Unit 6 (same design as Chernobyl but construction was never completed which is why the public can tour it). CHILDREN NOT ALLOWED http://www.ewn-gmbh.de/en/ewn/stando...g-block60.html You need to tell them you need an English guide if your German isn't so good. It's a great tour.

Then of course, there is Swinoujscie just over the border in Poland. Worth exploring if you have the time -- English not widely spoken.
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 11:32 AM

The sub in Peenemünde was open when we were there in May. We didn't go aboard though.

If you want something free and a tad whacky to visit have a look at http://skulpturenpark.wix.com/skulpturenparkkatzow . They even have rooms to rent.
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Click on my name for my Viking TR that includes part of northern Germany. I enjoyed Schwerin and Lubeck.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the great info!