North Wales or South Wales

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a one-week trip to Wales in September. Given my time frame, I suspect it is best to confine myself to either the North or the South. In general, people I've heard from have been more enthusiastic about the North. However, I have my heart set on doing a one or two day coastal walk and have heard wonderful things about the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there comparable walks in the North? Any and all advice appreciated!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
W/ a week you actually do have time for a bit of both. I'd personally consider about 4 or 5 days in North Wales and 2 or 3 days on the Pembrokeshire coast/St David's
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM

As janisj said you can do both North & South Wales, but more information would be helpful. What method of transportation will you be using? And, where are you starting from?

I would highly recommend the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path, and the area between Strumble Head and St. David's is arguably the best.

There are,of course, walks in North Wales.The area around Snowdonia is known for its hiking/walking trails.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM
ron

I guess I am one of the few people that is much more enthusiastic about south Wales than about north Wales, and I would support spending the week in the south. The Pembrokeshire Coast Path is as wonderful as you have heard. There are two days of brilliant coastal walks near St. David's, from St David's Head around to Solva. Another good base is Newport (Trefdraeth) with excellent walks south around Dinas Head and north to Moylegrove, near Cardigan. Also a good location to explore the Preseli Hills, with its iron age forts and ancient burial mounds. And, if I wanted to get away from the coast, I would choose the Brecon Beacons over north Wales.

My issue with north Wales is that, while the mountains are impressive by UK standards, they are pretty modest by global standards. I can find as good or better mountains a lot closer to home. If it is the castles you are after, that is a different matter.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers so far. I will be coming from Edinburgh, either by plane or train. Although I'm apprehensive about driving (I'm American), I do plan to rent a car in order to get to some of the more out of the way places. I will most likely be traveling alone.

If I were to rate my priorities, I suppose they would be natural beauty and history (though not necessarily castles).

One complicating factor is that I'm hoping to fit in a visit with some friends who live west of Birmingham (although perhaps I can convince them to meet me somewhere).
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM

ElsaT,

I'm one of those people who likes to go slowly and really see an area, so I would choose one or the other, though you could do both.

To some extent it may depend on how you tavel from Edinburgh. Friends west of Brummagem puts you towards mid-Wales, perhaps the north being a little easier from there than Pembrokeshire.

Driving? Pembrokeshire wider roads possibly busier, North Wales narrower and hillier but many very quiet.

South Wales more English than the north (ducks). Less hilly, apart from Brecon Beacons. Also possibly drier.

Pembrokeshire Coastal Path is great, good specially made path with a lot of ups and downs in places. Great little places like St Davids.

North has no particular coastal path as such, but there are very good shorter coastal walks especially near the end of the Lleyn, which is a magical area and often gets its own good weather when the hills of Snowdonia are wet and murky.

My short answer? North, perhaps somewhere around Criccieth or Porthmadog which will give easy access (some by bus) to Lleyn, various bits of Snowdonia, Anglesey and so on. Range of scenery, walks of varying difficulty, preserved railways, castles, hills, woodland.

Michael
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 12:33 PM

In a week you can see both. I would say that North Wales is fabulous, but so is South. By Pembrokeshire coast you mean South West.
If you have the opportunity there are two places you must see in South West Wales
1.Try to visit Cenarth falls.
2.Try to visit Solva.
Two of my favourite places.

Everything from the Gower penninsula coastline to St Davids area is fabulous too. I would divide my time equally between North and South and take it from there.

September would be good, schools are back and the roads in West Wales will be quiet. Also I predict Late August September will be our summer weather.

Enjoy

Muck
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Well I am a speed traveler and I only use public transportation and I think both could be done. Just one thought that I might share. I took the train from Cardiff to Swansea, in the South, then through the middle of Wales up to Shrewsbury in England. It was a grand ride. Then up to Chester and then over to Conwy. Conwy is is a fun town and of course it is hard to go wrong with Cardiff and the local area. Caerphilly. Big Pit mine and, well just to much to taalk about. Have a fun trip.