North Sardinia & South Corsica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fairly active, late 30's couple planning an 8 day trip in the summer. We are arriving to and from Olbia and have never been to either island. Is this itinerary too much and/or too little of each?

Day 1- fly into Olbia, stay in Costa Esmeralda
Day 2/3 - Costa Esmeralda beaches
Day 4/5 - Alghero
Day 6/7 - Bonifacio
Day 8 - Santa Teresa
Day 9 - fly home

Another option is to cut one place out..or perhaps do 2 days in Santa Teresa with a day trip to Bonifacio.

We will have a car.

Thanks!

SS
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 11:58 AM

No, it’s perfect.

You’ll see the best beaches in Europe, some stunning coastline and have a great little side trip to Bonifacio which is geographically stunning. My measure of good beaches are The Out Islands of The Bahamas and The Turks and Caicos.

I've some this trip 4 times and have always had a very relaxing time.

What time of year and have you booked accommodation?

Old Aug 18th, 2019, 12:01 PM

Sorry, I saw Alghero.

I have done it from Santa Teresa in a day both using the inland route and the coast road.

It is a long day and I’d cut it out and add a very short ferry journey to The Maddelena Islands instead.

Alghero makes a good base for s second trip next time you visit.
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

This is for late June/early July...booking via miles, so need to plan ahead.

So if I cut out Alghero..should I add a day in Bonifacio? Is Palau a good base in Costa Esmeralda?

Day 1-4 - Palau
Day 5-7 - Bonifacio
Day 8 - Santa Teresa or Bonifacio

is this better? Its certainly less driving so thats good
Can I take the car on the ferry?
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 12:25 PM

It’s a perfect time to go.

Late July / August are usually very, very busy.

Palau isn’t the most glamorous place, it’s the ferry port to La Maddelena. I’d say be prepared to be underwhelmed by the hotels. Generally, they don’t offer good value compared with those of a similar price in other parts of the world.

The very beautiful and very expensive Costa Smerelda proper spans from about Porto Rotondo to Baia Sardinia. This is the land of A list visitors and huge motor yachts.

Would you like a villa or hotel?
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 12:30 PM

Sorry, yes on both ferries.

I wouldn’t bother on the Corsica as it is quite exepnsive and the ferry pulls right into the town where you will probably spend most of the day.

i would take the car to La Maddelena as it is cheap and a convenient to get around the islands. Garibaldi’s house is an interesting visitor. After conquering and uniting much of Italy to create the state in its current day form, he retired to Caprera which is linked to La Madddela by a road causeway, he then proceeded to go to war with his neighbour until a ripe old age.
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 12:33 PM

It’s really interesting to see the huge cultural difference between Italy and France.

Northern Sardinia is sleepy even in August, Italians generally crawl to the beach each day, hang out there and then eat at their villa at night.

In constrast, Bonifacio is a party town and is very vibrant. At times maybe a little too vibrant!

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 08:06 AM

There are good beaches south of Olbia airport too (up to San Teodoro). North of Olbia, I would rather stay at Marinella or between Portico and Capriccioli.
If the ferry timetalbe (Corsica Ferries) suits to you, you can easily do a roundtrip Porto Aranci - ferry - Portovecchio (Corsica) - bus - Bonifacio (Corsica) - ferry - Santa Teresa di Gallura - bus - Palau - bus - Costa Smeralda - Olbia.
In 1 week only, I would only proceed up to Alghero (from Sta Teresa) if you plan to fly home from there (Alghero Fertilia airport). Fertilia has nice beaches too (Hotel dei Pini or so).