North Italy at the end of November

Sep 30th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

North Italy at the end of November

Hello,

I'll be travelling to north Italy at the end of November for 3 days.
since i'll have a car - I intended to spend a day at Milan and a day at Lugano and Lucarno.
That leaves one day free.
my first choice was Torino, but with the car museum closed to renovations, i font think the Egyptian museum is worth the trip alone.

Am I wrong about torino? do you have any other idea how to spend a day in the winter?
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:00 PM

If i had to chose between Lugano, Locarno and Turn i'd take Turin by all means - a fascinating multi-faceted city and esp after the Winter Olympics all gussied up.

Locarno is worth to me about two hours - nice town with one blockbuster modern art museum and nice setting...
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:07 AM

I would recommend you to visit Bergamo ,only 50 km north-east of Milano.The ancient town surrounded by a 16th century wall is one of the nicest in the north of Italy.
By the way it is my home town,so I can provide you with detailed info if you wish.
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:53 PM

Turin is a multi-faceted city with dozens of interesting galleries and museums, not only the Egyptian and Automobile ones. My favourite is the Cinema museum and to go chocolate tasting, check out www.turismotorino.org.

But its a long way from Locarno and back to Milan airport for only one day.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:07 PM

I agree about Lugano and Locarno. Too far and not much there. The weather will be real iffy in November and you might not even be able to tell there are mountains around both. We have been in Stresa, less than an hour from MXP, the last week in October and had we not been there before, would not have know it is surrounded by mountains.

Have never made it to Torino, but lot to do in doors if the weather is bad.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM

You are completely and perfectly wrong about Torino! Looking into museums first of all is good for regions/cities/towns where there's not much to see at all - but Torino would be one of Europe's main sights even if nobody there knew what the hell a museum is. Torino is one of this planet's foremost baroque jewels - no need to go to museums there, interesting as they may be.

Search this Thread