Search

Umbria in Nov

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umbria in Nov

We have Thanksgiving week off this year and are thinking of places to go...has anyone been to Umbria in Nov? we have been from Romedown and it was lovely in Nov, but not sure about the middle of italy. If anyone has other suggestions they would be appreciated.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Romedown- that should be good for comments. I meant Rome and points south from there!
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 09:45 PM

Hi wondering, I knew what you meant!!!
Italy has not had the rain as they did in the past. In fact in the northern parts there is concern about a drought. And the southern portion of Italy had more snow etc. than normal.

Personally if the only time you can go to Umbria is in November I would do so. For one thing there will be a lot less tourist. You will find wonderful cold weather food. And in spite of what some travellers think I believe packing is easier as you will not have hot/humid weather and consequently will not have to take as many clothes although of course cooler weather clothes are a bit bulkier.

Personally I would take this trip. And if you do enjoy every moment!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Hi wondering!

I lived in Perugia through a couple of winters and November is not too bad. It very rarely snows, particularly not in November.

A lot depends on your perspective - where are you from? I am from Wisconsin originally and so Perugia's winters seemed really mild by comparison.

I love the way Italy feels in the winter in general. Less crowded, more like it's your own. Calmer.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM

I am just wondering and curious too, do you consider November winter weather and not fall weather. We are making our first trip to Italy, 10 days in Rome beginning the first week of November and I am thinking fall-like weather. Should I be thinking silk long underwear?? Deborah
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 03:35 PM

The weather in Nov can be iffy. It sometimes is rainy, however we travel to Italy every Nov and last year it was so warm we were in short sleeves! Think layers and be prepared for variations. It has never been really cold, I'm from NE so Italy especially Rome is delightfully warm in Nov.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Romedown -- now I know!! It's goose feathers from a Roman goose.

Umbria is wonderful just about any time of year. I would go there without giving it a second thought. To me, Umbria is basically just more of Tuscany, and less touristy (but not by a whole lot except in the smaller, less known villages).

DeborahAnn -- no long underwear needed for your trip to Rome. As already advised, layers plus an umbrella would be appropriate. Whether you consider November to be late fall or early winter is not really important; Rome weather will usually be pretty mild and could be rainy at times.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:35 PM
cmt

I was in Umbria only once, in early March, and that particular time I found it warmer than a typical March in NJ. It was quiet and uncrowded and I loved it. I think Umbria is an area that I would like at any time of year. The only problems with November are that perhaps many of the hotels will be closed, as they were in early March, and there may be scaffolding on the buildings if there's a lot of repair and cleanup work being done in the off season.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. We are from San Diego which is 70 almost all year round and while I do not mind coats, i would hate a week of rain. In 2000 in Nov we were in light sweaters in the south (Romedown-ha). It was perfect. I'll let you know what we decide. I was really ready to go ( a fifth trip to Italy--always different destinations though)and then saw my neighbor's photos of Portugal yesterday...am wondering if we should branch out a bit and leave our comfort zone. On the other hand, I will never get enough of Italy and feel like i need to see so much more! Thanks again.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:21 AM

We spent two weeks in Tuscany and Umbria last November and loved it. Not crowded and we only had one real day of rain in Siena and it did snow lightly one evening when we stayed in Ronti in Umbria (gone the next morning!). We were right outside Assisi for one week, and we had gorgeous weather. It's also truffle season then and we spent part of two days at the truffle fair in Valtopina, not far from Assisi.