Normandy itinerary

Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normandy itinerary

We have time for a very short trip to Normandy. Below is a preliminary itinerary. i would appreciate any feedback; along with any hotel or restaurant recommendations. I have specifically left out the D-Day beaches.

Friday - leave Paris for Mont St. Michel. I am undecided about a southern route stopping in Chartres or a northern route stopping in Caen; overnight on MSM

Saturday - drive to Bayeux; cathedral and tapestry; overnight in Bayeux

Sunday - coastal drive to Honfleur, afternoon and overnight in Honfleur

Monday - drive to Rouen; afternoon and overnight in Rouen

Tuesday - drive to airport for a midday flight to US; should I allow 2 hours?

Does this sound reasonable? Thanks!
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:57 PM

If you take the "northern" route to MSM, then you'd essentially be doubling back to return to Bayeux. I think I'd go through Chartres, although you would probably be pressed for time to see any chateaux and MSM in the same day. Instead of overnighting in Rouen on Monday, have you thought at all about spending part of the day in Rouen and then the rest of the day in Giverny?
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:48 PM

I would not like so many one night stays. I would probably spend two nights in Bayeux (visiting MSM from that base) and then perhaps one in Honfleur, one in Rouen.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

tom18 - thanks, I was kind of leaning to the southern route as well. We were only planning on stopping in Chartres - is there a convenient chateau on the way to MSM? I like the idea of staying in Giverny, and it's closer to the airport, but I don't remember there being much there. DO you have any recommendations?

grandmere - I appreciate the feedback but we do this type of trip quite frequently and don't mind the one night stays.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:28 AM

I don't know why the subject of châteaux was mentioned but regardless, there are no famous châteaux between Chartres and the Mont. There is a famous medieval fortress in Fougères but I doubt you'll have time to visit it. It is a little over a 1 hour drive from Paris to Chartres. From Chartres to the Mont is a minimum 3 hour drive, closer to 3-1/2 hours with a stop for gas/food/bathroom. Besides the cathedral in Chartres the town itself is very nice and worth stopping at the tourist office to pick up a map and walk the tourist loop to see the ancient/medieval streets and buildings. That will cut into your visit to the Mont that day, however, so you'll have to decide if that's something you want to do.

I don't know what time of year you are planning your trip but Monet's house and gardens in Giverny are closed from November 2nd to March 31st. There is nothing worth seeing in Giverny except Monet's house and gardens. If you are planning a winter visit keep in mind that daylight hours are short. From Sept. 1st to April 30th the abbey at Mont Saint Michel closes at 6:00 but the last admission is at 5:00. If you want to do the audioguided tour allow 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours depending on your level of interest. You will love your overnight stay on Mont Saint Michel. Here is a link to the website for the Mont, if you don't have it already:

http://www.ot-montsaintmichel.com/en...int-michel.htm

I think your itinerary looks fine. If you have extra time in Bayeux you may want to drive the 15 or 20 minutes to see the American cemetery and museum (I know, you said you don't want to do DDay sites). They are both free and it is a moving and memorable experience. Unless you are really into cathedrals then you shouldn't need more than 15 or 20 minutes to visit the one in Bayeux. To visit the tapestry and enjoy its museum allow 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

FrenchMystiqueTours - thanks for the advice. I am OK with just stopping at Chartres. I really just want to break up the drive, and I'm open to any routes and suggested stopping places. I would like to get to MSM by mid/late afternoon although we will be making an early start from Paris.

Same with Giverny; it sounded like a nice option because it was closer to the airport but it might be rushing to get there in time to enjoy the gardens. The trip is in two weeks - I know, really last minute planning!
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:56 PM

If you are unaware of the website viamichelin.com then you should use it to get info on drive times and distances, toll and gas costs and suggested routes. The times given do not consider traffic delays, weather conditions or stops for gas/food/bathrooms. You might find it a worthwhile investment to buy Michelin maps of the places you will be driving to/visiting. You need the ones with a scale of 1:200,000.

I have no idea where you are staying in Paris or where/when you will be getting your rental car but keep in mind that rush hour in Paris (mornings and evenings), and especially on the périphérique, is not pleasant.

I would not recommend making any stops between Chartres and the Mont unless you are planning on arriving there in the evening and not seeing the abbey that day. If by suggested routes/stopping places you meant places other than Chartres the only other major must see on the southern route to the Mont is Fougères. I would pick either Chartres or Fougères but would not attempt both. Neither of these places, however, is midway between Paris and the Mont so you either have a 3 to 3-1/2 hour drive from Chartres to the Mont or a 3 to 3-1/2 hour drive from Paris to Fougères.

I saw on your post on Trip Advisor that you have an 11:30AM flight to catch on Tuesday and you are looking for a place to stay on your last night other than Giverny or Rouen and not at the airport. Why not spend your last night in Paris? If so, I would try to arrive in Paris no later than 4PM on Monday to avoid rush hour.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 03:58 AM

I guess you are just driving around Normandy which is certainly pleasant if you use the lesser roads. I think the distance from Paris to MSM is deceiving, unless you are on the autoroute, which again, why bother to go.
Coming back to Paris Orly is an easier car return, I think. Therefore, you might consider a more leisurely drive to Bayeux via Honfleur, with a stop in Giverny if it is still open. Then go on to MSM from Bayeux.
Then return to Paris through Chartres. Some of these places are really worth a visit, rather than a break in driving.