My husband and I, with our 16 month old daughter, are looking at spending 1 week in Normandy in mid October. We plan to hire a car and stay at a self catering holiday rental (gite?). We will be staying in Paris beforehand, and traveling to Switzerland afterwards by train. So a few questions -
1. Where would be a good place to hire a car? Would it make sense to catch a train to an outlying town and hire from there (to avoid the Paris traffic)?
2. Can anyone recommend a nice area to stay in? We would prefer a rural area or small town/village. Some of the places we would like to see are the D-Day landing beaches, Honfleur, Suisse Normandy as well as Mont-St-Michel, so ideally somewhere that is within decent driving distance to these areas.
3. Since the weather may not be very nice this time of year, does anyone have any recommendations for indoor sights/activities in the region in case it's raining?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Car hire from Venice to Croatia and bosnia
- 2 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 3 Problem with Trip Advisor
- 4 Mediterranean princess cruise
- 5 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 6 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 7 Best Greek Island
- 8 5 days in Andalusia
- 9 Malaga Christmas lights
- 10 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 11 Champs E.....no market ‘this year? How will it look?
- 12 crete or santorini in Oct.
- 13 Noxor Platinum Edition
- 14 Sifnos and...Paros? Last minute help
- 15 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 16 Greek Islands, female solo traveller.
- 17 Driving
- 18 Need help with Mykonos vs. Naxos/Paros
- 19 Ferry vs. plane Athens to Santorini
- 20 Manchester Christmas Markets 2017
- 21 Change of resident
- 22 How best to see the Douro Valley?
- 23 Sixt Car Rental? Good/Bad? Any reviews/experiences?
- 24 The World's Greatest Churches
- 25 Italy with kids - off the beaten bath