Reload this Page >

Normandy- Can this itinerary work?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:39 AM
Pam

Will this excursion work? Leave Paris by train early in the morning for Caen. Visit the Memorial and gardens. Leave Caen for Bayeux to view the Bayeux tapesty. Leave Bayeux for an evening visit to Mont-St-Michel? Stay there for the night or head back to Paris? Anyway to work in seeing Omaha Beach? Any advice to help make this a wonderful historical day is welcomed but one day and possibly an early morning is all our France itineary has left.

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:30 AM
jahoulih

I think it's possible, but only just. You would need to stay the night at Mont-St-Michel; then get a bus to Rennes 7:00-8:45 the next morning, change to a train there at 9:05, and get to Paris Montparnasse at 11:10. On the day before, something like this: Paris St-Lazare to Caen 7:12-8:57; Caen to Bayeux 13:33-13:49; Bayeux to Pontorson 17:11-19:02. (Pontorson is the nearest train station to the Mont, about 9 km away. You can get a local bus or taxi from there.) I believe you can get to the D-Day beaches by bus from Bayeux, but you probably have enough on your plate already.

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:32 AM
jahoulih

Forgot to add you can check train schedules (as well as the bus from Mont-St-Michel to Rennes) at www.sncf.com.

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:44 AM
Tammy

That's a pretty agressive schedule, but I think it can be done, but you're not leaving yourself open in case of any unforseen time delays. If you want to see the beaches, I would put off Mont St Michel for another trip. Bayeux is a great town and is a short hop to the beaches, but at least a couple hours drive to Mont St Michel. Will you be renting a car in Caen or relying on trains? Have a wonderful trip, too bad you won't have more time.

Old May 31st, 2001, 12:44 PM
Pam

Jahoulih and Tammy <BR>This is wonderful. Thanks so much for your help. Would it be worthwhile to exchange an evening visit to Mont-St-Michel for an early morning visit so the Omaha Beach sites can be put into the excursion? You seem so informed about this area. Do you know if an Amiens,Laon,Reims outing for glimpses or more of the Notre-Dame Cathedrals can be done in a full day sleeping in Reims that night. All travel is by train. I wish this was a trip for me but I'm actually helping my daughter(21)with her France itineary. She is currently in Valencia, Spain right now doing study abroad(internet access is a luxury) and will start a European/backpacking trip(45 days)in a few more weeks. She's become familiar with the train traveling situation and the time it takes, but I'm clueless. Plus not ever having been in these areas it's hard for me to get a feel for how long it takes to tour the sites and get around. Again, thanks so much.

Old May 31st, 2001, 01:20 PM
Beth Anderson

I don't see how you could enjoy your day. That is A LOT of ground to cover. Even Caen and Bayeux in a day is a lot... and how do you plan to get to the beaches without a car? <BR> <BR>this is REALLY a lot, with OR without a car I think. (and without one - pretty darn hard. you will be so rushed). <BR> <BR>Caen/Bayeux, maybe... with a car, the beaches. then stay in Bayeux and go home the next morning. <BR> <BR> <BR>for example: You might get to Caen by (early) lunchtime, and with no car - you are dependent on train schedules to get to Bayeux. Let's say you CAN leave for Bayeux at 3 PM (only a few hours to see Caen). You'd get into Bayeux at least 45 mins later... get situated, then try to find the tapestry before it closes for the day. assuming you leave at 600 PM (when do you plan to eat) it will take a few hours to get to MSM. <BR> <BR>sorry to sound harsh, but this just doesn't sound like you'd see a lot. better to rent a car, go from Paris to Giverny then on to the beaches/Bayeux. <BR> <BR>or skip Giverny & just head straight for the road which follows all 5 landing beaches...

Old May 31st, 2001, 01:22 PM
Beth Anderson

for example, I spent 5 days in Normandy, and felt rushed. and all I saw was Giverny (heading out of Paris) and Caen/Bayeux/ the beaches - and didn't have enough time for all 5 - only saw 4...

Old May 31st, 2001, 01:29 PM
Kavey

Have to agree with Beth. Having returned from Normandy a couple of days ago I have to say that there were a few occasions when I completely underestimated the distances... <BR> <BR>Now I know my viewpoint is very different to many of my Fodorite friends, in that I quite often pale when contemplating some of your whirlwind itineraries, but I really feel yours is too much. <BR> <BR>And it will end up that you wont enjoy any of the places because you will be under such a time pressure to only see the listed sites, with no time set aside to gently stroll around and take in the ambience and side streets... and to stop and sip coffee watching the world for a while... <BR> <BR>Rouen was a lovely city, maybe this would work instead of MSM, or Honfleur, which i ADORED (see my recent Normandy trip report for my description of it)...

Old May 31st, 2001, 03:36 PM
Bob

We spent a few days in Normandy last summer and you are trying to do too much with too little time. <BR> <BR>If you are certain that is all the time you have I would skip the museum in Caen. It is interesting, but not a highlight with limited time. Bayeux and the tapestry deserve a visit as does t St Michael and the beaches. Skip the museum and you may have a decent shot at enjoying the day, but you will be breathing hard at the end. <BR> <BR>Another possibility would be to just do the beaches and save the rest for another trip. You are cramming too much into this deal.

Old May 31st, 2001, 03:55 PM
StCirq

Pam: <BR> <BR>I suppose it is physically and logistically possible to do what you have in mind, but I wouldn't attempt it. You are trying to do in one day what I am already skeptical about being able to accomplish in 4 in early July. Distances are deceiving, road conditions are unknowable, train schedules may not accommodate your tight plans, long lines can materialize where you least expect them, and few things are more unsettling while traveling than finally reaching a destination only to find out you can optimistically spend only 15 minutes there without destroying the rest of your itinerary. If this is your once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go to France and you feel you simply MUST go to Normandy, try it, and good luck. If not, save it for another moment when you can truly enjoy it.