What to buy in Denmark and Holland?

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Benita

What to buy in Denmark and Holland?

Hi everyone:

My husband and I will spend one week in Copenhagen, Denmark and another week in Amsterdam, Holland in July. What would be good things to buy and bring back home. With "good" I mean traditional, typical for the country, tasty (if food)and reasonably priced compared to the U.S.

Speaking about food, what would you recommend we'd eat while there? We're both pretty adventurous and willing to try different foods, once again, typical for the area.

Please help!

Benita

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:44 PM
scigirl

My husband and I brought some cheese back from the Netherlands. Dutch cheese is sooooo good. We stuck some of it in the freezer at home and it kept fine. I'd buy cheese at a grocery store, not the airport gift shops. The grocery stores will even let you sample the cheese to help you pick. We both wish that we had some how brought a whole wheel of cheese home rather than just a few wedges. It has been a year since our visit and we are still craving the cheese.

Old May 29th, 2001, 07:27 PM
ingrid

From Holland:
Cheese, definitely
licorice (dropjes), they have dozens of different kinds
antique copper milk can (they come in different sizes)
delft blue porcelain
handcrochet coffeehouse curtains
old prints

to eat, try herring and definitely go to an Indonesian meal (e.g. rijsttafel); you could also buy Indonesion food (sambal, Nasi Goreng mixes,etc.)

Old May 29th, 2001, 08:54 PM
April

From Amsterdam, chocolate and cheese for sure, plus cheese knives and spreaders. One of my favourite things, although not always easy to find, were the little canal house replica boxes with candies inside.

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:54 AM
scurry

The Argentinian steakhouses in Amsterdam can be quite yummy

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:55 AM
scurry

The Argentinian steakhouses in Amsterdam can be quite yummy

.. as is the cheese!

Old May 30th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Ingrid

Very funny! You might not know that Indonesia was a Dutch colony and a lot of Dutch food is influenced by Indonesian cooking (and vice versa); in fact, rijsttafel is actually a Dutch word.
Also, true Dutch food is kind of forgettable.

Old May 30th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Meg

I like to buy Christmas ornaments from all the places I visit. Delft ones are particularly nice from the Netherlands. Each year, I buy ornaments on all our trips and give my mother a Christmas present of international/local ornaments from our trips.

Old May 30th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Benita

Hi again everyone:

Thanks so much for all the great ideas! Seems like food is always a favorite item and close to everyone's heart (or mouth)!

Thanks again,

Benita

Old May 30th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Linda

Is Customs letting you bring cheese into the States? I know a friend just returned from Paris last week. She always brings sausage back and this time it was confiscated. I thought that Customs was going the same route with cheese. My error?

Old May 31st, 2001, 03:35 AM
francesca

One main pedestrian shopping street in Copenhagen there is a Royal Copenhagen shop with a seconds department which is quite fun. The large store which sells traditional Danish design (I forget the name, but its a huge place, on the same street) is also a great place to browse. Mostly modern stuff for the home. Both countries are reknowned for their (truly dreadful IMHO) licorice. In Amsterdam, you can find charming hand-painted ceramic tiles which can be very pretty gifts.

Old May 31st, 2001, 03:56 PM
Baya

In Denmark, the answer is amber. Beautiful jewlery at many price points;