Reload this Page >

Normandy and Reims

Search

Normandy and Reims

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 10:15 AM
Tammy

Normandy and Reims

Looks like my original message never made it. <BR> <BR>I just made reservations to Paris !!!! <BR> <BR>We are planning on renting a car and taking an overnight trip to Normandy and visit the invasion beaches and Mont St. Michel. Is it possible to do these in a two day period (including drive time from Paris)? Also, where would you stay, near the beaches or St. Michel? Any hotel and restaurant recommendations are appreciated. <BR> <BR>We are also planning a day trip by train to Reims. Once we arrive in Reims, is it easy to get about by bus or taxi? Again restaurant recommendations are appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for the advice. <BR> <BR>Tammy

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 01:54 PM
elvira

You can do it on an overnight trip. Leave Paris early a.m. and spend the day at the invasion beaches (beaches, cemeteries, museums will take the day). Drive to Mont St Michel; there are a couple of hotels/motels at the end of the causeway that are less expensive than those on the mont and give you a view of it at night (we stood in the parking lot, gaping like bubbas at how beautiful it was). I know there are several hotels in surrounding towns that would work. Spend most of the day on the mont (if you get there first thing in the morning you miss the busloads of turistos who arrive just before noon). We found lots of little places to eat (we grazed) and would recommend it highly (bring an empty film canister and take a little sand from Omaha)

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 06:43 AM
Rob

Hi! <BR>Downtown Reims (cathedral, museums)is easily doable by foot. However, if you want to visit a Champagne-place, you'll probably want to take a bus (frequent + they go everywhere). <BR>Along the Place d'Erlon pedestrian area there are several good-quality restaurants.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 04:05 PM
Beth

Tammy - <BR>I've done this a couple of times and it is definitely doable. The drive is very scenic. Make sure you have a good map of France, though, and plan your route. The last time we went (Christmas 1998) they were building a new autoroute which will get you from northern Normandy to Mont St. Michel much quicker. I hope its open for you. If not, the drive is not bad at all. I would differ with Elvira on where to stay at the Mont though. We stayed on the island at Mere Poulard. It was the best. The rooms were huge and waking up in the morning was an experience. The fog surrounds you and it is so quiet. It is a bit pricey, but in my opinion, well worth it. The restaurant in Mere Poulard was excellent. Their breakfast isn't to be missed. Famous for their omelets, which are cooked over an open fire and which are big enough to feed a family on! Whatever you decide, I think you'll have an experience of a lifetime. <BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 03:42 PM
Tammy

Thanks for the info !!!! I'm so excited I can hardly wait to go. Elvira, thanks for the advice about taking home some sand, I hadn't thought of that.