Search

Normandy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normandy

We are planning on following my father-in-law's footsteps during WWII so plan some time in Normandy, particularly at Omaha Beach. What else should we see/do while we are there? Any great ideas for inexpensive accomodations?
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing to do is visit the Bayeux tapestry. The town itself is pretty old and the audio programme explains what this 1000 year old cloth shows.

In terms of WW2 there are a lot of little museums dotted around the place. I like the one at St Marie de l'eglise.

Then the food is worth a try , mussels, cidre, calvados and camembert.

Staying, welll if you keep out of the towns you will find some pretty cheap B&Bs. I suggest surf this site and see where others have.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 03:13 PM

Bayeux Cathedral, Tapestry, American Cemetery, (British and German ones are quite touching as well), Pointe Du Hoc, Longues Battery, Mont St Michel, St Lo, St Mere Eglise, Museum at Caen,...the list goes on and on! We spent 6 days there and still had things on the list to see and do! You can find decent B and B's near Bayeux. I found that either searching this website or using a website such as venere for hotels works very well.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 03:33 PM

The American Cemetery is a must. You don't need to spend a lot of time there, but it is a great place to honor the memory of those who sacrifced so much. We also really enjoyed the Museum at Caen.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 03:53 PM

You'd get even better suggestions if you stated how many days you'll stay in the area and if you'll rent a car (you can see much more if you have a car). Also, are you just interested in WWII sites? Maybe some more details about how many in your group and what your interests are. Providing more info will get you better responses.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:07 PM

I see cmeyer54 has a good list of what to see. Our visit was connected to a Seine River Cruise. Normandy beaches plus American cemetery impressed me more than I thought. Bayeux Tapestry is so unusual...our program director urged us to go through twice, and second time to note the drawings on the borders. Right next to the building with the tapestry is an impressive cathedral and when we entered the organ burst forth with magnificent sounds. The peace museum at Caen may be over looked. And of course you should stroll through the town of Honfluer.
Bill in Boston
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, we will have a car. We aren't sure how many days to stay but 3-5 I believe.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think anyone has mentioned Arromanches.

Do you know more about your FIL's experiences? Do you know where he went after landing at Omaha? Did he fight in the bocage hedgerows? If so, you may want to try to find some surviving hedgerows to see what they're like. Several years ago, we found some south of Caen (near Flers?), but I know they have been disappearing.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Get the Michelin Green Guide and make your best "tour". You will have a special need to go to Omaha. AND the American Cemetery, where your father will have people buried. THEN design something around it. BUT Arromanches is a "must" as is Pont du Hoc. From there it depends.
BUT when you see the total 180^ exposure of the landings on the beaches and the exposure from the heights, you will understand the bravery (even if they didn't) of our troops to make a landing on Normandy. It is amazing.