Normandy

Apr 29th, 1999, 07:40 PM
Sally

Normandy

We are going to Normandy in September. Please tell me about your favorite places, hotels , and restaurants there. We plan to spend a night in Chartres to start off. We hope to go to Giverny,Honfleur, Bayeux, Mere St. Eglise, and Mont Saint Michel.Do you have suggestions for those places and for others. We would like hotels at around $100, plus a chateau for a special night.
Thanks.
Sally

May 2nd, 1999, 07:48 AM
Monica

I'm off to France on Tuesday and will stay in Bayeux for 3 nights. Email me after the 17th and I'll report to you about my trip. My Mother is traveling with me and we plan to drive to Mont St Michel and the D-Day beaches.

May 3rd, 1999, 11:12 AM
Martha B

Fodors publishes a guidebook to hotels of charm in France. (Sorry, don't know the English title.) Anyway, it's a great resource for the kind of hotels you sound like you want. Many of the two-star hotels and even some of the three stars are under $100 a night for a double. We really enjoyed the Hostellerie du Chateau de Goville, near Bayeux, which is listed in that guide.

May 3rd, 1999, 04:26 PM
Sally

Martha, could you please give me the phone number and address of the Chateau de Goville that you stayed at.How much did it cost? Thanks.

May 3rd, 1999, 11:34 PM
Martha B

I don't remember exactly what we paid at the Chateau de Goville. According to last year's guide, doubles are 495 to 695 FF, which is $80-115. I'm sure what we paid was in that range. The phone number from the States is 332.31.22.19.28; Fax 332.31.22.68.74. (Calling inside France, change the 332 to 02.) The chateau is in Le Breuil-en-Bessin, a few miles west of Bayeux. Take D5 from Bayeux in the direction of Molay-Littry. Hope you enjoy it!

May 10th, 1999, 06:58 PM
Sally

Martha , thanks for giving me the phone number for the chateau. Also Has anyone stayed at the Notre Dame hotel right across from the cathedral in Bayeux?Does anyone have a favorite hotel in Chartres?

May 10th, 1999, 07:05 PM
s.fowler

PLEASE share your "good hotel" in Chartres. My husband and I have this dream of spending the night in a small charming inn an easy walk from the cathedral. Then the next morning walking over and attending an early morning service and seeing the cathedral before the buses arrive! *sigh*