Reload this Page >

Connemara, Ireland

Search

Connemara, Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 04:14 PM
Michelle

Connemara, Ireland

We are planning a trip to Ireland either in June or July and will be spending some time in the Connemara area (visiting other people who will also be vacationing there at the same time). What are the great places to see, the great routes to drive and which beaches are beautiful? We'll be spending some time specifically in Westport. Any information about that town? Thanks.

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 03:14 AM
Petra Feichtinger

Dear Michelle, <BR>the Connemara is realy beautiful.Don't miss Connemara National park. Here you will get informations about this area. Clifden is nice, but a little bit overcrowded in July/August. Roundstone is a nice little town, with an harbour and here you can see, how the irish bodhrans are made. <BR>If you like beaches, don't miss (I think it's called so) "Dog's Bay", west of Roundstone, a beautiful, sandy beach. And if you drive from Roundstone to Clifden, you will find after Ballyconneely "Mannin Bay", in some parts you can find beaches full of white corals. <BR>Enjoy your stay, <BR>petra

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 03:15 AM
Petra Feichtinger

Dear Michelle, <BR>the Connemara is realy beautiful.Don't miss Connemara National park. Here you will get informations about this area. Clifden is nice, but a little bit overcrowded in July/August. Roundstone is a nice little town, with an harbour and here you can see, how the irish bodhrans are made. <BR>If you like beaches, don't miss (I think it's called so) "Dog's Bay", west of Roundstone, a beautiful, sandy beach. And if you drive from Roundstone to Clifden, you will find after Ballyconneely "Mannin Bay", in some parts you can find beaches full of white corals. <BR>Enjoy your stay, <BR>petra

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 02:08 PM
Michelle

Thanks Petra for the information. What month were you there and what was the weather like? Did you go the Aran Islands while in that area?

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 03:36 PM
bushmama

Dear Michelle, Just saw your last posting re: Aran Islands and Connemara. My husband and I drove the peninsula and found it to be beautifully breathtaking, just stopping as we wished at interesting sites along the way. We took a plane from Galway to Aran Islands and were very glad we did. The only problem is that we didn't allow enough time there. An overnight would have been good. We loved the area and will go back. Happy travels. <BR>bushmama

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 03:28 PM
Michelle

Dear bushmama, <BR>Why did you fly to Aran? Isn't the ferry ride from Galway to the largest island only 30 minutes, and I assume a lot cheaper than flying?

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 06:12 PM
bushmama

Dear Michelle, We flew to Aran Islands because (1) time was short (2) my husband tends to get sea sick and the seas looked rough. Don't remember the price, but it wasn't too bad. I am sure, however, that the boat would be much cheaper. Have fun! <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 12:04 AM
Petra

Dear Michelle, <BR>I've beent to the Connemara in July and in August (three times in 1994, 1995 and 1998). In 1995 we had the Irish summer of the century - really hot, like on the continent. But I wouldn't count on it, we had also rain and fog. <BR>I've been on the Arans too(If you would call it so): <BR>We left from Doolin with a little boat (for apr. 30 people) called the "Happy Hooker",the sea was a little bit rough and my husband got seasick, so we had to leave on Inisheer - sandy beaches, wrecks, the ruin of a castle, nice walks, but you can do in a day. <BR>My advice - take a larger boat (or a ferry from Galway, if you like to go to Inismore) <BR>Enjoy your stay!

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 12:05 AM
Petra

Dear Michelle, <BR>I've beent to the Connemara in July and in August (three times in 1994, 1995 and 1998). In 1995 we had the Irish summer of the century - really hot, like on the continent. But I wouldn't count on it, we had also rain and fog. <BR>I've been on the Arans too(If you would call it so): <BR>We left from Doolin with a little boat (for apr. 30 people) called the "Happy Hooker",the sea was a little bit rough and my husband got seasick, so we had to leave on Inisheer - sandy beaches, wrecks, the ruin of a castle, nice walks, but you can do in a day. <BR>My advice - take a larger boat (or a ferry from Galway, if you like to go to Inismore) <BR>Enjoy your stay!

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 08:35 AM
Holly

check out an ireland web site that I found out about in another posting. It's at www.ireland-withpatpreston.com The author is a travel writer and she has a question and answer board. She provides prompt and helpful information about itineraries, hotels, etc. etc. <BR>

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 03:34 PM
Michelle

Dear Holly, <BR>I checked out the website you suggested. It's great. I wanted to ask my own question to Pat but couldn't. When I clicked on "Post Message", nothing happened. Any suggestions as to how this works? Thanks, Michelle.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 07:15 AM
Holly

Michelle -- This has happened to me on a couple of occasions, and I think (though I am not a high tech type) that it was because I had not let the entire Q&A board get downloaded on my computer. You can find the box for filling in a message at the very end of the list of messages with your arrow on the right side of the screen, and if you don't see it, I think it may be because you clicked on the "post my question" button before the entire forum has been transferred to your computer. Does this make sense? It's worth the trouble, she is extremely helpful; I've gotten lots of very valuable information from her, especially in the planning stages of an itinerary.

Old May 1st, 1999, 01:08 PM
Michelle

Thanks Holly for your advice. The next time I tried that site it worked. Pat responded to my question within 24 hours, as she promises. It's a wonderful site to get your individualized question about Ireland answered.

Old May 11th, 1999, 04:23 AM
Donna

Michele: Put Kylemore Abbey on your list of "must-see" and enjoy a couple of hours there. Very, very beautiful, very peaceful.