Search

Norfolkline Ferries

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 01:45 AM
AR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norfolkline Ferries

I am currently looking to book my crossing from the UK to France next August (we have booked a Gite near Bayeux). The obvious crossings such as Portsmouth-Caen cost about £420 return for 10 days in France. I have looked at the short crossings and Norfolkline are doing an offer on the Dover-Dunkerque crossing for an amazing £73 at the moment for a car and up to 5 adults (it drops to £68 if you take an evening crossing - the normal cost is £261).
Has anyone used them? Are they to be recommended. The Eurotunnel is also doing a crossing for £108.
Before anyone suggests, I have looked at Ryanair to Dinard and a return flight for the dates I need are £200 each plus I'd need a car-hire and park at Stansted.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally would NOT hire a UK (RHD) car to take to France - and pay for it on the ferry no less.

Ferry foot passengers are much cheaper than taking a car - then you can rent a car after you are in France.

It would save money and you'd be a lot safer driving a LHD on the Continent.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 09:43 AM
AR
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear that I am a Brit and intend to take my own car over.
What I need to know is if anyone has used Norfolkline ferries?
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:17 AM

I haven't used Norfolkline but considered using it for next summer's holiday. After weighing up options, I decided to book with Sea France. They have fewer sailings than P&O or Sea France. Depedning on the sailings chosen, the latter two can also be competitive - my preferred sailings on Norfolkline would come to £78, but it was £85 on P&O or Sea France, and they have more sailings - if you turn up early or late for your booked sailing, they will normally let you take more convenient sailing at no extra cost. Also their crossing time is 30 to 50 min shorter than Norfolkline (2 hours). I have heard some good things about Norfolkline, like friendly staff, very efficient loading and unloading and crowd-free Dunkerque port (actually near Gravelines).
So I'd say you won't go wrong with Norfolkline, but get quotes from other operators and weigh up your options.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 12:35 PM
AR
Original Poster

Thanks for that, Alec. I've just checked on P&O and got the same quote as you (£85). I think it's worth booking with them as at least you know what you are going to get.
Thanks again.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:46 AM
AR
Original Poster

Thanks once again, Alec.
I booked P&O for £70, crossing over early afternoon on Aug 19th and back late morning on the 28th. Thats for the car and three passengers. Excellent value that can't be faulted.
Mind you, we've now changed our destination to the Loire Valley (near Saumur)!
We had to book Dover-Calais as we want to visit a First World War grave in St Omer for a relative of my wife is buried there (recently discovered relative after some geneology research).