Search

No time to travel!?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:00 PM
PBT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No time to travel!?

When do people find the time to travel? As I keep reading this board, I come across numerous postings seeking advice on a month-long trip to eastern Europe, what do in Normandy and Côte d'Azur for 6 weeks, etc., etc. Wow! I can't imagine that the vast majority of the posters here are all uniformly retirees, recent college grads doing the "tour Europe" thing or are all independently wealthy and not working.

I live in the States and normally take two weeks of vacation in any given year. I take two or three trips abroad each year, sometimes over long holiday weekends. So to me every vacation day or even half a day matters. I admit that it is tough planning for such travel when you know that you'll find yourself fighting the jetlag, fretting about not doing enough sightseeing and finding very little time to relax -- all at the same time. So how do you plan and prepare for a 2-day leisure trip to London or a 5-day visit to Italy which includes a trans-Atlantic flight? How do you succeed at mixing work and pleasure (travel)?

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:26 PM

I have 15 paid days of vacation, 11 statutory holidays, and I get comp time. (I'm in Canada.) To get the maximum time for a trip, I get night flights (after working the full day). I arrange my time off so that a statutory holiday is included. I try to arrange it so that I get as many weekend days included as possible also.

I would consider something like leaving for Europe on a Thursday night prior to a Friday statutory holiday, taking off the remaining 4 workdays of that week and then taking a Monday night flight home. Yes, the next day at work might be tough, but you'll adjust. That way you lose only 5 days of work, but you get 11 days of travel.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:57 PM

I have about 12.5 weeks off during the year, because I'm a teacher. I spend a lot of money on travel, but I would rather be in Europe than sitting at the pool in NJ.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:10 AM
ira

Hi PBT,

You have 2 weeks of vacation every year. Take it all at once every other year.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Time aside, what about the money? I posted that we were travelling to Italy for ten days and would like to see Florence, Rome and Venice. A number of Fodorites responded "save Venice for another trip". We've planned this trip for a long time and know because of financial considerations that we won't be back to Italy for a long time (if ever). We are able to take a big family trip about every three years. Are these other guys independently wealthy? Just curious!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 11:03 AM
PBT
Original Poster

Another valid point: it's either the lack of vacation time or a fat wallet that makes travel such a precious commodity.

On the subject of doing Italy in 10 days, it is possible and absolutely worth it if you don't think you'll be back for a while. I did exactly that two years ago (3.5 days in Rome, 3 days in Florence, 3 days in Venice and 1 day to travel back to Rome by train which was my longest European trip to date). Had enoough time for a couple of half-day trips from Florence to Siena and Pisa. It was great.

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 11:41 AM
ira

Well, Teach, I'm glad that I was one of those who encouraged you.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 05:55 AM

Ira, For many of us, combining this year's 2 weeks of vacation with next year's is not an option. Many companies dictate that each year's vacation time must be taken within that year or it's lost forever. Alas, for those of us with this restriction, we must make the best of it, combining our vacation time with holidays, weekends, etc. Makes us savor our vacation time even more!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 06:14 AM

I've worked at a couple of automotive parts suppliers as a consultant and their policy for their hourly workers can be even worse. They had to take one week of their vacation the first of July when they convert to the new model year. The second week had to be taken over the Christmas holidays.

After 5 years when they got a 3rd week of vacation they couldn't take it in conjuction with the other two.

As a consultant I can take what I can talk my client into and what I can afford since I don't get paid for time off. The travel gods smiled upon me and I'm taking 5 weeks total off this year: 3.5 of them in France. That certainly doesn't happen every year.