Search

no money?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no money?

After I get out of high school I want to take a trip across Europe. People have told me that you can just buy a plane ticket there, get a job, live in a city for a month or so, and then make your way to a new city & start over. Doing this, I would only have a little bit of money to get myself started and in case of emergencies. If you have heard of people doing this successfully please let me know some more information. I'm also wondering how easy it would be to get a job in Europe.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:07 PM

I will put it simple --- you're nuts !!!! Seriously, I don't know where you live but if you have many illegals aliens in your area. Take a good look. That is you in Europe. Europe has very strict work permit laws and it would be very difficult as only a high school grad to obtain a permit. The second issue is that in most of the EU you can only three months without obtain a visa. It probably is not a very workable idea.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:08 PM

You got to be kidding me. You need to apply for a work permit, etc and get through all the barriers. Living in Europe isn't cheap, believe me. I think your best bet is to head over to Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum because I'm sure there's lots of similar topics regarding your question.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:09 PM

"I'm also wondering how easy it would be to get a job in Europe"

About 10 times as hard as it would be to get one at home.
Generally it is illegal for a US visitor to get a "job" in Europe. There are exceptions, but most require involved applications and permits.

Although I have seen young US vistors in Europe begging for money on the streets and living on park benches or hooking up with strangers. Some of them actually seem quite happy.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Graduation is a time to accept adult responsibilities. This includes accepting realities of life. It sounds great to bum around Europe enjoying the "good life", but every month you do it is a month off your eventual (US) career. Why?
IF (that's a very big if) you could get a job in Europe, given their unlike-in-America employment visas and restrictions, your primary competition for entry level jobs will be guys from Morocco or Jordan to whom $3.00/hour under the table is big pay.
Bite the bullet, go to college or trade school, earn money, and go to Europe when you're 40 and can afford the niceties of Europe, rather than living in a flophouse at 18.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Two years ago I had a conversation with two young men who were, literally, working their way around the world.

They had just finished working on a dairy farm in Norway and were on their way to Greece in order to find somesort of temporary employment there.

Before Norway they had worked briefly in the UK and prior to that in Canada.

They eventually planned to make their way back home to Australia.

Apparently it CAN be done but I have no idea how difficult it was for them.

They were enthusiastic about the whole experience. I wish I could offer more concrete information other than to say it isn't impossible.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:27 PM

I would think it would not be easy to get a job in Europe. I know people who have worked in the hotel in Munich since 1983. Also, I see the same ladies working in Herties and Kaufhof every time I'm in Munich. Same in Nice. I think the Europeons do not change jobs as often as the people in the states.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM

In general, it's not easy getting work on your own; you'd have to have some unique skill that would encourage a European employer to step over lots of unemployed Europeans just to hire you. But if you really want to work there, you might find a way. This organization places young adults abroad, often recruiting on college campuses - maybe it would be helpful to have a look:

http://www.icemenlo.com/index.shtml

But yeah, without a job, you'll probably enjoy yourself a lot more if you work for a while and save up before you go. If my 18-year-old daughter wanted to take some time off before college and do what you want to do, I'd tell her to postpone college, work during the summer while living at home, save her cash, and take a one-to-two month trip in October or November - then hit the books in the spring semester. I might even throw in a couple hundred bucks - travel is good education.

Maybe you're lucky and you've got parents like me?? Did you talk to them about your idea?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Check out BUNAC online- it is a program made for what in Europe is called the "gap year" after high school. There are both volunteer and work opportunities (limited I think to 6 months, and you don't need the usual Visas/permits because you are with this program). You have some resources through their offices to help you get started- you do need the plane fare and enough money to live on until you get the job or to your volunteer placement. Something like that will give you a "base" and a place to go for help if you need it. I think you should also check out "younger" message boards; (try the HI one) and at your local university, etc- I have a feeling most of us are at least old enough to be your parents, and most of us are not going to think it's a good idea!!!!!
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:00 PM

What you've been told is wrong, a "pie-in-the-sky" idea someone who doesn't know any better-and who has probably never done it-has put into your head. Ideas and stories about this float around all the time.

There are thousands of people just like you heading for Europe next June with the same idea. The smart ones know that if there is any chance at all to find work it will be in the most popular tourist areas where the laws are largely ignored from May through August when it comes to the hiring of illegal foreign workers. These areas are getting harder and harder to find, especially with the European Union allowing EU citizens to work in any EU country they choose without problems.

One well-known "best kept secret" location where you might still find a job is the Greek island of Ios where employers hire foreign workers beginning in early May for work in bars, restaurants and hotels. Some jobs require skills, such as bartending. Some don't such as housecleaning, bed-making and handing out flyers at the ferry ports and trying to lure incoming tourists to stay at your employer's hotel or hostel, etc. These jobs pay very poorly, usually not enough to put a roof over your head and eat both, so if you decide to go for it be sure to bring some money with you. Chances are you won't get hired, but if you do you'll still need some backup $$$. The reality is that your chances are slim, but if you have a really strong desire to do it then you should try; just don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work. Good Luck.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:15 PM

You really do need to have access to funds before coming over here. As you have been told anyone from the EU can work in any country without a petmit. The EU now has some very poor eastern european members and as a result there are people working in western europe and the popular tourist places in the meditereanean fot less than 25 euro a day. SO dont think it will be easy and it really is illegal - get caught and you will get a criminal record which could come back and haunt you later in your career
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Dukey-Were the guys you met from Australia? Residents of Commonwealth countries have different laws regarding whether or not they can work in the European Union. It's easier for them to get work permits. I've also met lots of travelers who work their way around the world, but most are from NZ or Australia and none from the US.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 08:45 PM

I think your information is about 20 to 30 years out of date, unfortunately. I did much the same thing many years ago, and stayed in France for 5 years. But, I applaud you for wanting to see the rest of the world - travel is the best education that you can get. But, how to do it on a budget like yours?

Have you considered something like the Peace Corps? I think they may require a college degree, or a skill. But, there are volunteer organizations that need people - do a search here and elsewhere for organizations like this one - World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms, url www.wwoof.org. And, I'm sure there are many more. Google volunteer vacations Europe - I came up with a bunch of cool ideas where you wouldn't make any money, but your room and board would be paid for. Otherwise, the unemployment rate is much higher in Europe than it is here, so a regular, legal job would be tough.

The visa thing is also a tough one - I used to go to Figueras every few months when I was in Montpellier. I don't know how you would get around that.

Good luck to you, and don't let the negative comments here bring you down - there are legal, reasonable ways to accomplish what you want. Check Lonely Planet, that site is more in tune with your idea. I say go for it! The working world isn't going anywhere, and a few months living in Europe, or elsewhere would be great on a resume.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 09:23 PM

There are some ways to get a legal job in Europe as Momliz mentioned but these are not easy to come by. Most require special skills, some require some education. I also agree that travel is one of the best ways to educate yourself but make sure wherever you go to do it legally, be realistic and smart about it.

Of course, you can always stay where you are, work and save money instead. I have a friend who would work 6 months, save and then go to Europe for 6 months. He had a college degree and worked for temporary employment agencies so getting a job was not difficult. He did this for a good 5-7 years, and I know given the chance he will do it again.

Good luck!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:00 AM

If you're from the States forget it. If you're from Canada or another Commonwealth country and are under 30, there's a way.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:10 AM

Why is travel considered 'best education'?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:40 AM

Kristina, yes they were apparently Australia residents.

I notice few, if any of the answers above, included the word "impossible" or did I mis-read this?

I'm sure everyone is trying to be realistic; I can just imagine a few people here milking cows!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:20 AM

Best idea, IMO, assuming you don't plan to go straight into further education, is to work for a year, save like crazy, and then take a long holiday in Europe. If you do go to university, there are lots of study abroad programs these days.

As others have said, Western Europe is awash with immigrants from the new EU countries who can work here legally. Many are highly skilled and educated, but willing to take menial jobs at low wages just to get a foot in the door. The old EU countries are so worried about this they are placing restrictions on new member countries like Bulgaria and Romania.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:26 AM

Hi Ash,

I do know of people who've found jobs in Europe (unskilled ones) on a temporary basis without a work permit, but it's not a sensible way to go. WHen you're not working legally you won't have enforceable employment rights, so if you work for a fortnight then the employer refuses to pay you there's nothing you can do. Also, as previously mentioned, the pay rate will be dreadful and it'll be difficult to pay for decent accommodation.

If you can get a work permit that's different of course.

I completely understand wanting to do a long trip to Europe and think it's an excellent idea to broaden your horizons before going to college. But a more practical way to do it would be to get a temporary job in the US (I assume that's where you're from), work as many hours as you can for a month or so to save up, then go to Europe with enough money to pay for the trip. You'll also have time to see a lot more of Europe if you're not working while you're there.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:17 AM

Ash, I think that perhaps you may be a little naieve, however I do think some people here are being a little bit unfair to you.

There are plenty of Americans working here in the UK for many reasons.

Have a look at this site Ash, http://www.britainusa.com/visas/

I think it is do-able, but certainly not quite as easy as you may perceive it to be.

There are many countries where fruit picking type work is avaialable too, I know people who have done this for a while and moved around for months at a time.

As others have said, Australians can move around the commonwealth relatively easily.

I think you should read the pages on the website and ask them the questions, we here are probably not the best qualified to give you constructive and accurate advice.

Good luck

Muck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -