Night trains in Italy

Search

Night trains in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night trains in Italy

Help! I am considering taking a night train from either Paris or Nice going to Venice. It will be me and a friend, both college aged girls. Basically, I need some advice on whether it is advisable for us to take a night train to Italy, and if so, what kind of sleeping arrangements should we make for the train.
Is it worth the expense to pay for a 2 person sleeper for safety reasons? And should we only buy first class tickets for the night train? Student discounts only apply to 2nd class and we don't intend to have railpasses.
Can we lock the door of our cabin if we are in a shared couchette (T4 or T6)? Is it safe to hand over our passports to the night conductor? I've heard some horror stories about theft and forward Italian men.

Thanks so much for the help, Happy Travels, AShields

Edit: Sorry to post this twice, new to the boards and didn't know how which topic to pick since my question is for both France and Italy.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 08:57 PM

for starters, type "overnight trains" in the search field or "Paris to Venice" in the search field for lots of comments on this topic.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 12:12 AM

From Paris you will find 4-berth ladies-only couchettes, and from Nice 3-berth single-sex sleepers, both in second class, so you would share with two strangers from Paris or one from Nice. This is no great problem, and may lead to interesting conversation at bed time. You pay half as much again for first class, which the class that offers you 2-berth sleepers, and I think it not worth the extra. All sleepers and couchettes have internal door bolts that people outside cannot open.

Nice to Rome fares per person are in a 3 berth sleeper 110 euros, and in a double 160 euros.

There are a detailed and able survey of rail travel, country by country at http://www.seat61.com/, and a note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/...ghttrains.htm/.

[email protected]
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 04:30 AM
ira

Hi ash,

>Can we lock the door of our cabin if we are in a shared couchette (T4 or T6)?

Yes.

>Is it safe to hand over our passports to the night conductor?

Yes

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have only done Venice to Paris (well also Geneva to Venice) on an overnight train. I splurged for a private cabin but think a couchette would be OK, if you are able to sleep with the conditions (more of a bunk than a bed, and sharing with a stranger).

You have no choice but to give your passport to the conductor; that's just how it is done.

I believe you can pay the supplement and upgrade to a cabin from either a 1st or 2nd class ticket (I'm pretty sure I did that from a 2nd class ticket, my Swiss friend helped with arrangements and I'm not positive the details).