Night time visit to Louvre

Old May 1st, 2009, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night time visit to Louvre

Has anyone been to the Louvre at night? I'm thinking that on Wed/Fri when they are open from 6-10pm would be a great time to visit due to less crowds. Am I wrong?

I have been to the Louvre before and did the Mona Lisa must sees, looking to see an exhibition and Egyptian antiquities

BTW I will be in Paris from 5-11 May - so excited.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:36 AM

I've been to the Louvre at night. Entered after the admission fee was reduced (perhaps 3:00 or 4:00). Most galleries were empty and it was delightful. Special exhibits may still be crowded. If you go Friday evening then the Louvre is free to under 26 YOs so it may be more crowded.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:43 AM

I think the idea is good. The only thing that stopped me is that by 6pm my feet are killing me after a day of walking around Paris. Having said that, you may be younger and tougher than me Can't hurt to try, can it??

Have a lovely time, it's almost 12 months since we spent 10 days in Paris and I wish I was back there now.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:47 AM

It can be much less crowded arriving after 6 pm and the daily entrance fee is reduced as well. It's my plan to go to the Louvre on a Wed after 6 in late May. We have been there a number of times and like to see what is "new" and revisit some favorites.

Something you should be aware is that often some of the rooms may be closed to visitors after 6 so you might not have access to the entire Louvre. I enjoy visiting Napoleon's Rooms and that section was closed during one of our late visits.

Have a great trip. Deborah
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

All,
Thanks for backing my plan.
I plan to keep the feet happy with frequent cafe/wine breaks.
The exhibits I want to see are listed as being currently open and the exhibition is open in the evening as well.
While the reduced admission is a nice treat - I prefer less crowds so it is a bonus.
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:34 AM

Evenings are our favorite times at the Louvre. The Egyptian galleries in particular have a lot more atmosphere without all the people, and it's possible to read the material in the display cases. Last time we went we had the Venus de Milo all to ourselves.
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:56 AM
yk

I also have been to the Louvre in the evening. I try to avoid visiting museums late in the day because I am usually tired (both physically and mentally) by then, so I normally try to take a power nap before going to a museum at night.

I also have been burned once at the Louvre as the galleries I was interested in were closed early.

But as long as you know your stamina in the evening and the galleries are open, I'd say go for it.
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:10 AM

I'm planning on going to the Louvre one evening as well. I'm wondering if I'm planning just to see the highlights and perhaps some of the Egyptian rooms, what would you recommend we do as far as tour/site planning? I've read its best to be prepared and mapped out prior to visiting.

I saw on the website that they have these "thematic trails" you can follow (self guided) that are 1 1/2 hours. Are there also guided/led group tours in the evening? Or is there an auditory tour with headset that is better?... if so how long does that one last?

Lastly, I read something about seeing the old foundations under the Louvre that is interesting...does anyone have any more info on that?

How long should I plan on being there, is 3 hours about right for seeing what I've mentioned above? THANKS.

(ps - will be using museum pass)
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

I just got back. We went to one of the exhibitions, Ports du Ciel (Gates of Heaven), we got there before 6 pm and went in anyway-full price. The daytime crowd seemed to be clearing out. It was nice at 1st. Then it seemed to get crowded as we left the exhibition and went to the Egyptian Antiquities. The Greek/Roman was not as crowded almost empty. We left around 8pm and saw a line to enter that was bigger than when we went in. I think the crowds were alot less than if we had gone at midday, so well worth it if you plan your time and maybe see less popular exihibits