Nice - Where do Fodorites stay ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2018, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning 2 or 3 nights in Nice before riding the TGV to Paris at the end of a long vacation.

Our goal is to find a very comfortable and interesting hotel.

All the better if it is close to the Station, but not essential.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated ?
Old May 24th, 2018, 02:51 AM

We stayed at La Perouse five years ago and really liked it. Views are amazing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...el-la-perouse/
Old May 24th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

It looks beautiful and so I took a trip to the official website.
Well it started well with a new free breakfast offer.
Then I inserted the two nights in September we have planned to be in Nice.
The rates for the seaview room appeared and so that price range was Euros 2790 - 3800 for the two nights.
It is by no means a grand or presidential suite. Happy to spend up to Euros 300 per night plus in Paris and a bit less in Nice. LOL
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:06 AM

Wow that seems high even for La Perouse but I would not expect it to be close to 300E either. There is a hotel right next door that is about half the price - Splendid? look on a map, check out a booking site with a variety of options. Near the station is not ideal IMO - that would be far from the promenade, market, old town and pedestrian zone. There are alot of apartments in Nice and a very professional agency, Nice Pebbles, that we used for our recent stay. We did stay for a week so not sure if there would be a minimum night stay for booking.

Last edited by suec1; May 24th, 2018 at 06:07 AM. Reason: word
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not stay near the station, you can take the tram to get there. I usually stay on the pedestrian section of Rue de France, but my hotel is way below your price range, as was the apartment I used last time. With that budget I would look on the Promenade des Anglais. What is Le Negresco charging?
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We liked the Hotel le Grimaldi. Hotel Grimaldi by HappyCulture? | Nice Centre Promenade des Anglais
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:30 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at Hotel Windsor and Beau Rivage. Do not stay near train station as area is a little dicey.
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:57 AM

Normally La Perouse is not that pricey. The hotel next to it is the Hotel Suisse. People often like the Windsor, but some report not liking the Beau Rivage, although the location is quite convenient.

You should check the Palais de la Mediteranee, a Hyatt property, right on the Promenade. The Le Meridian on the Promenade is even closer to the old town. The upgraded rooms on the east side of the building have great views of the sea and Castle Hill (le Chateau) on large terraces, but the rooms are tight and the lobby completely underwhelming. Truly funky and unique is the Negresco, but it can be pricey as such an iconic building.

I generally don't recommend staying around the train station, as there is little there of touristic interest. Some people do have cautions about it, but others disagree. Generally the best areas to stay in are the Old Town, the Carre d'Or (roughly the area between the Promenade, Blvd Gambetta, Blvd Victor Hugo, and Jean Medecin), and the few blocks around Place Massena (in all directions). All of the hotels cited are in that area (where we have an apartment).
Old May 24th, 2018, 08:29 AM

I realize you are looking for a hotel, but we have stayed three times, very affordably, in private apartments in the old town. If you want a little more quiet, there also are nice apartments just outside the old town. For us, once we saw all the beautiful fruit in the almost daily market in the old town, a kitchen was always a plus for us.
Old May 24th, 2018, 03:08 PM

The Old Town by the port and cathedral is also IMO the nicest part of a Nice that in many areas is rather blah.
Old May 24th, 2018, 03:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We liked Beau Rivage and it’s private beach.
Old May 24th, 2018, 08:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
We found a great budget accommodation in Nice Garden Hotel, perfectly located and wonderful hosts.
Old May 24th, 2018, 08:53 PM

We liked our stay at La Solara.. its not a fancy hotel.. its on top floor of a residential building.. but is a hotel.. Rooms were comfy and had good ac.. staff were very kind and helpful. We had a good sized balcony .. and we were only a few minutes walk down nice streets to the water( we had no view ) .

Its a good budget-moderate choice.
Old May 25th, 2018, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. Just working our way through a long 6 week itinerary from Australia. Nice comes toward the end of the journey followed by 4 days in Paris and then 5 in Hanoi and Halong Bay. I will post where we decide upon.
Old May 25th, 2018, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've stayed at Solara too, but I thought the OP was looking for something more upmarket.
Old May 26th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Our itinerary is probably a bit tight to take advantage of the luxury of the promenade so will definitely take a look at La Solara. When I first saw cilburke's post of La Perouse and the price posted in the attached Telegraph article, I was very tempted, only to find that the real price posted on the hotel website was a multiple of that -because we were selecting busy weekend dates in September. Nice for us on this occasion is a convenient break after 5 days wandering through the hills of the Cinque Terre / Portofino National Park and arriving in Paris from Nice by TGV. Thanks again
Old May 27th, 2018, 08:48 AM

If you stay at the Solara be SURE that you get a room with a balcony looking down on the Rue de France. Those are really memorable. If you can't get one of those specific rooms, your money is best spent elsewhere.
Old May 27th, 2018, 09:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I always thought that all of us Fodorites stayed at the Negresco, which is clean at least.
Old May 27th, 2018, 01:21 PM

La Solara is right in the thick of it, so there can be a bit of noise from the street. You might also check out the Hotel Windsor, a few blocks north, or the Jay (more of a design hotel). If you want a chain hotel in a more moderate range, there are several Mercures (two on the Promenade, one a few blocks north on Grimaldi).
Old May 28th, 2018, 05:54 AM

Last time we stayed at an Airbnb near the Promenade. Nice apartment overlooking a busy pedestrian street. Clean, convenient and cheap. Evidently there are not the restrictions on such rentals being enforced in Nice as in Paris, at the moment. Cost was about €65.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -