nice to italy

Jun 1st, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

nice to italy

We are spending a week in Nice next week and we are thinking of hiring a car and staying on for another week to travel over the border to italy. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether this is a good or bad idea and what route to take etc. I'd appreciate any advise as I'm not a seasoned traveller. Thanks
Jun 1st, 2007, 03:09 PM

A couple of years ago, I rentted a house with my daughter and son in law about 45 minutes north of Nice, near Vence (actually it was Tourettes Sur Loup). We took a train and spent a few nights in Santa Manguerita Ligures before going to the house. Did daytrips from there to Portofino and Cinque Terre. I absolutely love the area so think that heading there is a great idea. While in Nice though, make sure to go Antibes and the wonderful market there.
Jun 1st, 2007, 03:11 PM

I would suggest taking the train from Nice to Genoa, then a local train to Santa Margherita, rather than renting a car which will be more expensive since you plan on taking it across the border to Italy.
Jun 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM

When I was staying near Nice we would take the car over to Italy for the day. I think the expense would be for where you drop it off at the end. It is a nice drive, maybe stop in Monaco for lunch or San Remo.

You would stay the next week in Italy?
Jun 1st, 2007, 03:59 PM

Renting a car while you are in Nice is good - there are so many beautiful places to drive and explore (Eze and Villefranche Sur Mer being a must do). Driving across border into Italy would be fine but if you're going to the Cinque Terre, taking the train might be best - you can drive to the villages but cannot be assured of parking very close to them and to explore each village, taking the short train rides to each is your best bet. Perhaps a combination of car and train travel. As the earlier poster said...if you're planning on driving into Italy and staying and turning the car in there, you will pay a penalty.
Jun 1st, 2007, 06:11 PM

I wouldn't advise getting a car for Nice if you're going next week. You're traveling during the beginning of the summer tourist season, and parking and traffic in Nice and many of the towns along the Riveria can be a real nightmare.

Instead I'd suggest taking the train or bus everywhere. Both are very easy to do, and most of the rides between towns are pretty short, except of course, if you're going to go into Italy to Santa Margherita.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you all for the information which is very helpful to me.