Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train vs Car: Lyon to Cassis, France, to Santa Margherita, Italy

Jan 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Wm
Original Poster

We are just starting research for a May '08 trip to France and Italy. This is what we have so far: 5 days in Paris, 2 days near Beaune, 7 days on self-drive boat on the Petite Saone, 5 days exploring the Cote d'Azur, the balance of our 4 weeks to be spent in northern Italy starting with a stay in Santa Margherita. We usually prefer to rent a car so we are not held to a particular time schedule. We realize we would pay about $300 for the drop fee for the car, but are willing to pay that if renting a car would give us more freedom. Your feedback about train vs car for this portion of our trip would be most appreciated.
Jan 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Get the car in Genoa--take the train that far. The drive from Menton to Genoa is all tunnels anyway.
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Wm
Original Poster

Bob,

Thanks so much for your reply. One question: Can you see much of the coastline from the train?
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:12 AM

I have never trained that leg but I suspect it too is primarily tunnels. I am sure you will see some coast, but you will get plenty of that in SML.
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:40 AM

We recently took the train from Nice to Canogli, which is slightly north of Santa Margherita Ligure. I suppose there may have been some tunnels along there but I don't remember them much. I especially enjoyed the section from Nice to the border, along the Med, but I found the whole ride scenic.

You can get so easily from SML to Portofino and by train to the Cinque Terre, Camogli, and Genoa that I think a car would be a hindrance. Plus you'll have to pay insurance for Italy.