Nice things

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:38 AM
Grumble

Nice things

I am tired and cranky today, and the recent spate of nasty posts here is doing nothing to alleviate my aggravation!

So. Let's have a pleasant posting for once.

I want everybody who wishes to participate to say one NICE thing about another poster. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Really. And no dittos.

To start:

I find Capo's posts interesting and informed, and I am happy when I see he's posted because I know that I'll soon be reading something good.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:45 AM
Katherine

What a brilliant idea!

I second the comment on Capo and I would add the I think Elvira gives the very best advice.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:47 AM
Sheila

I enjoy the witty posts; Judy spoof on visiting a new countrie made me laugh out loud.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:49 AM
Karen

Elvira cracks me up!! I have gotten sssooooo much valuable information on Fodors that I don't think our trips would have been so enjoyable. So thanks to many, many, many posters!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:02 PM
ALW

Hoping that the flamers will stick to Grumble's rules, I'm going to risk saying that I enjoyed Rex's first post to the woman with bathtub fears. It was informative and intelligent and instructive without being condescending.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:34 PM
elvira

I've had the great good fortune to meet many of the posters - Sheila, Carol, Patrick, Art, to name just a few - and I've been nothing but overjoyed to meet such delightful people.

I have semi-regular emailing with several others - Beth and Kavey, as well as folks I've met like Diane and Sheila and Stellarossa - and enjoy their humor and funny stories.

Through several posters like Sheila, I've met OTHER wonderful people, and enjoyed the kindness of strangers (to coin a phrase).

It is fun to arrange a lunch date in Paris or cocktails in Venice with a personality...and then get a face to go with that personality.

I have gotten totally arcane information from Beth and Sheila and Paolo.

Now, if I can just arrange a tryst with that hunk-o-rama, Capo...

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:46 PM
ALW

Well said, Elvira!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:01 PM
ncgrrl

I think Kavey is a wonderful artist.

I look forward to postings by Lisa2. She brings a well-reasoned point of view to the conversations. I have also enjoyed reading her travel reports.

I love the book recommendations from all. The quote of too many books, not enough time became my motto. I'm barely into the a really good, long book list from Europe forum and there is now a list going on the U.S. forum about tales of the west.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:08 PM
mark

I thought some of the postings on the thread started by The Jones who are going to Scandanavia were very witty and sly. Light hearted and fun.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:10 PM
Rex

I look forward to any and all new questions that leave me wanting to know the answer just as much as the person who asked it.

I still don't feel like I understand how people find their way here - - and (usually) take enough time to absorb the general rules of "etiquette" so that they can ask a question for which they have not been able to find an answer on their own. It's almost like some kind of magic that a continuous stream of people show up here with great questions. I am perpetually intrigued by "how did you know to come here to ask that?"

But I am glad that it happens the way it does.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:18 PM
Lee

I'm cheating as I can think of two:

Stacey for sharing info and experiences on Germany and Wes Fowler for his insight and endless assistance to everyone.

I was going to mention Elvira, but someone already did!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:19 PM
JOdy

I can't believe no one has yet mentioned Ben Haines or Bookchick, 2 of my favorites. Ben is a veritable fount of knowledge about most of London and BC 's post are not only inforamtive but fun.

My buddy, Linda , always has good info , too .

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:23 PM
xxx.xxx

When I first came to this board, I was helped by a Les or Wes, is it Fowler?
What a gentleman.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:30 PM
Linda

Thank you, JOdy. As for saying something nice about somebody else, there are just TOO MANY. JOdy, Rex, Elvira, Kavey, Ben, Steve, Ger, Capo, Sheila, Art, Nancy, Wes, and on, and on, and on . . . . So many, many people, so willing to give freely of their time and knowledge to make my trips just that much better. Or to give me the daily chuckle that makes my life just that much brighter. I don't know what I'd do if they took Fodor's off the web. So many friends out there--so little time to meet them all.

And Grumble, this post was overdue. Thank you for the thought!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:58 PM
Capo

I don't want to single anyone out -- except, of course, for Grumble, Katherine...and, especially, that trysty Elvira (although are you sure you didn't mean Fabio, Elvira? :~) -- so I'll just say that I really appreciate reading posts by anyone which are informative, intelligent, thought-provoking, humorous, creative, or otherwise well-written...and that includes a LOT of people here.

Overall, I find mean-spirited posts to be very few and far between. If anyone sees a lot of them, I think it's a matter or whether or not one sees the glass of Châteauneuf-du-Pape as half-full or half-empty.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:02 PM
Annette

I really enjoy the people here. I don't always play by the rules but on this I'll play by Grumbles rules and limit myself to both the "no dittos rule" and the "1 nice thing about 1 poster rule".

Ger is very funny. She gave us a great answer on the "funniest tourist" thread when she told her story of the Lourdes pilgrims first encounter with the Dublin airport. My favorite was the countrywoman who plopped herself down on the baggage conveyor belt, believing she needed to be "processed" along with the luggage!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:16 PM
ger

Many have helped me in my travels - thanks to all who have contributed.

There is one I would like to single out - Maribel, who provided me with so much great advice on Madrid & Barcelona. So, for fun, I composed the following poem (hope this does not embarrass her too much!):

ODE TO MARIBEL

My very favorite must be Maribel
Forsooth, she helped me very well
In Barcelona & Madrid
All fears of mugging she did rid

"Shop", she and that I did
And ignored my normal spending lid
Hubby says that Maribel
Will limit retirement fund growth swell

"Eat" she said and I took my seat
At restaurants that might meet
Her superior palate and culinary taste:
Trust me, there was no waste!

"Drink", she said and I discovered
Wines that North Americans have yet to uncover
The Spanish are such a complex race
The depth of their wines easily keep pace

"Talk" she said, and I do much,
And yet was strangely touched
By the silent kindness shown by most
That other cultures may have lost

Let's raise a glass and toast the one
That helped me have so much fun
And while we do so, with all disclaimers,
Toast to the demise of the bloody flamers!

Regards …Ger

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:28 PM
StCirq

I've got lots of nice things to say about other posters. Monica - who invited me to the DC gatherings, Book Chick, who kind of gauged my pulse one night when we were all posting as if in a chat, Beth Anderson, who just seems like a good person, Elvira, whose postsIwish I could emulate; Capo, whom I'd like to be my second husband - I need to turn the veranda into a fifth bedroom - so we knock down a few beams and put up a few walls, eh? Cmt the lover of Italy who shares my passion for good language and other eccentricities, PBProvence because I know her and we have vacationed together à la Loons (we plan to have a t

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:25 PM
Diane

ger - that is a delightful little verse! It would be too obvious for me to mention the DC Fodorites one by one, but it has been super making friends with people I otherwise would not have met, but as Monica was the catalyst for it all I have to name her, and oh, what the heck: there's also Dawn, June, Beth, Michelle, Anne, Dianne, Martha, Gina, and the non-posting spouses of some of us! Sally Fowler, Elaine, Paulo and Bob have been SO HELPFUL so many times.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:10 PM
Surlok

I love reading Capo's posts for their subtlety and poetry, Escritora amazes me because she sees the same things we do by an unsuspected angle and approach, I like Ger delicacy, and the sense of measure: never too little, never too much information, and Rex by the practical advise and techical info he is able to provide.

Thank you all,

Surlok

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -