Nice People Get Ahead

May 20th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Nice People Get Ahead

I read in the newspaper (Union Tribune) today that Song Airlines, Delta's low-fare carrier, will reward people for being nice to other passengers. The way it will work is that each flight attendant will be given 4 tickets for a free flight and award passengers they catch being nice.
I think this is a grand idea. I think most people are nice and it's good to see them rewarded. For the selfish people it's just good incentive for practice.
Too bad Song has limited destinations but perhaps this will help grow them as a company.
I thought it was funny that one man, Ray Neidl an airline analyst the paper quoted, said, "I just hope there are not that many people that are nice. Yields are bad enough already."
May 20th, 2004, 09:19 AM

I doubt that many Americans will be awarded free tickets.

I am sure all the awards will go to the British.
May 20th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Singletail

If this is in any way for real then I think what you'll see is a whole bunch of people trying to be "nice" to flight attendants.

May 20th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Singletail

"Oh, by all means, Madame.....just allow your child to scream even louder as she continues to pound on the back of my seat, pllllllleeeeeeeezzzzzzeeee...."

"OK...now when do I get my free tickets??"

May 20th, 2004, 09:46 AM

" Excuse me sir, would you mind lowering your seat a little further back ? I'm far too comfortable and I've got way too much legroom for my knees "... !
May 20th, 2004, 09:56 AM

"I am sure all the awards will go to the British."

Since Britain is known for great actors and an uptight, two-faced society, I have no doubt that ThinG got this prediction right. 8-)

ps It's an absolutely beautiful day in NYC today.
May 20th, 2004, 10:37 AM
P_M

Addressing the flight attendant, "Please allow me to buy a few more cocktails for this very loud and somewhat tipsy person sitting next to me. I'm really enjoying his company."
May 20th, 2004, 11:16 AM

No, no, please, bump me off this flight! My time is not half as valuable as anyone elses! I can well afford to pay for the hotel that is waiting for me at my destination, although I will be sleeping here in the airport tonight..please please, do go ahead and let all these lovely people in ahead of me.
How many tickets will I get ???

It is a gorgeous day in Florida~so what else is new
May 20th, 2004, 11:23 AM

So says the Mirror...

BRITS are the rudest, worst behaved and least adventurous holidaymakers in the world - and Germans the best.

Tourist offices placed us bottom of 24 countries, a survey said yesterday.

In contrast those sunbed bandits from Germany ranked highest for behaviour and their attempts to speak the local language. Dermot Halpin, boss of online travel service Expedia which conducted the survey, said: "Much as it pains me to say it, the Germans deserve the best sunbeds."

"British holidaymakers are some of the most widely travelled in the world. But that doesn't mean we're good at it." Expedia questioned tourist offices in 17 popular destinations worldwide. Britons were worst for rudeness, followed by Russians and Canadians.

They were also worst for their behaviour, learning the language and enthusiasm to try local delicacies.

Next on the bottom of the list were the Israelis, Irish and Indians. At the top, the Germans were followed by Americans, Japanese, Italians and French.

Americans were the most polite and most generous tippers and Italians the most adventurous eaters.
May 20th, 2004, 11:25 AM

"An upgrade to business class? Oh, no I couldn't. Please just let me stay back here in coach between these two screaming children. It's preferable to my calm and sweet demeanor after traveling for 12 hours."
May 20th, 2004, 11:26 AM

LOL Statia, good one
May 20th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Hope all is well in sunny FL, Miss Scarlett It's actually quite chilly here for this time of year.
May 20th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Chilly?? No way!

All is well in Sunny all the time!! Florida. I almost wish for a cloudy day

May 20th, 2004, 11:33 AM

How about doing the rewarding the other way around? The airlines should give all the passengers a nice little survey and we should give every flight attendant marks on how nice they are being. I know they are under stress, but lately, across the board, I have seen some of them being more than unreasonable and rude to totally normal people! I just smile at them and say please and thank you, God forbid you ask some of them a question.
May 20th, 2004, 11:41 AM
P_M

"No apology necessary for losing my luggage. I enjoy starting out my trip by wearing the same clothes day after day. And if you never do find my luggage, it's OK because that $400 you will give me will really replace everything I had!!"
May 20th, 2004, 11:44 AM

These are cracking me up LOL..thanks!
May 20th, 2004, 12:05 PM

In July, 2002, my mother and I were flying United to Bangkok. Our female flight attendant was almost licking our feet. My mother and I just could not believe her interest in us (asking us about our holiday, telling my mother that she looked young enough to be my sister).

Here's the rub: she was conducting a survey and asked us if we would please fill out a questionnaire. One of the questions was: HOW FRIENDLY WAS YOUR FLIGHT ATTENDANT?

In a "salesman" society, one obviously has to have a motive to be nice.
May 20th, 2004, 12:22 PM

Yes, these are getting quite hilarious!

Scarlett, I TOLD you that you would long for those cloudy days now and then! We are having one today and I'm loving it! 365 days per year of sushine does eventually get old after awhile.
May 20th, 2004, 12:28 PM

How ridiculous, I won't be getting any free tickets dears.
May 20th, 2004, 01:19 PM

" Oh Yummy ! That the BEST food I've ever eaten " !

(overheard in coach).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO