Nice or Monte Carlo?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Paul

Nice or Monte Carlo?

We have a 12-hour cruise stop in Villefranche next month, and we are trying to decide whether to visit Nice or Monte Carlo. Comments/suggestions? We've heard from someone who took the train to Monte Carlo for the day and enjoyed it.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Handmaiden of Fodor

Please do a search because this very same question was asked last week.

Isn't it amusing how the same questions get asked over and over and over and.....?

The Handmaiden has spoken. Heed her advice.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:53 AM
jjj

Go to Nice! Monte Carlo is a playground for the very rich; and while it can be fun to do a little celebrity watching, you will get much more out of your day in Nice. The old town, the Chateau, the Beach, I have to vote Nice.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:03 AM
tammy

Hi,

Another vote for Nice! Monte Carlo is interesting for a few hours, but I agree with the other poster, that Nice is more interesting.

The beach, streets to walk around, and the historic district!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Sandi

I enjoyed Monte Carlo over Nice but was only there in the evening. The lights really do something for me. I enjoyed Nice for the Mediterranean, mostly.

Sandi

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:45 AM
S. Wright

We really didn't care all that much for Nice. Monte Carlo, on the other hand, is pretty cool. Try to get to Eze, a really old little village literally carved into the rock. It's between Nice and Monte Carlo, closer, I think, to Monte Carlo.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Paul

Thanks for the helpful info. I didn't include it in my original inquiry, but I suppose Cannes is also a possibility. Any further comments with that in the mix?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Wendy

Paul,

I cast my vote for Nice, too. Monaco is great if you want to gamble or visit the outside of the Grimaldi Palace,, but Nice has much more to offer: Chagall Museum, great people watching along the Promenade des Anglais,( as well as the beach itself- even if it is pebbly) Vieux Nice, with its flower market and tiny alleyways leading to small, interesting restaurants. We found Cannes disappointing, not much to recommend it. If I can help further, just e-mail. I've been to Nice many times. Good luck!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Laura

Topping!!!