Nice hotel near Detmold (Germany)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be ending our vacation with a visit to the Westphalian "open air" museum in Detmold:
http://www.lwl.org/freilichtmuseum-d...rtseite_uk.php

We were there briefly a a couple of months ago and didn't get to do this fascinating place justice; this time we want to give it a whole day. (plus it's pet friendly--our cocker is welcome to tag along)

Any suggestions for a pleasant hotel within short driving distance? We will be driving up from Burghausen, so would prefer to stop on the southern side, rather than northern. Kassel is too far away. Also need someplace with decent parking and easy access. Would prefer a hotel (small or large) rather than a B&B.
Thanks!
(P.S. Already did a Fodors search on Detmold with no hits. Whether no one has posted before about Detmold or whether it's just the wonky Fodors search engine, can't say. There is a Best Western in Detmold that looks promising--got a positive, but brief one line review on TA.)
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

TTT? Anyone?
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 03:43 PM

I can't help you I'm sorry. I don't know this town at all, but my Shell Atlas gives it a 'picturesque' rating for its castle and the Hermanns monument, apart from the open-air museum.

Try <www.stadtdetmold.de/hotels> and make a choice from there. Rates seem reasonable at around 35E pp for the standard places. There are some nice little villages in the general neighbourhood of Detmold where accommodation should be very reasonably priced e.g. Externsteine about 10km south, which has another site which appears to be a mini- Stonehenge.

Harzer
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, we've booked at the Best Western since no alternatives were suggested. It is a nice area and way off the usual tourist track. The countryside around Detmold is especially pretty in the autumn (we will be there the second week of October).
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Topping: We had a lovely time in Detmold, the whole area was delightful (and we lucked out with beautiful fall weather)--highly recommend the area for those wanting to explore regions of Germany off the beaten path. The Best Western was fine, overall thumbs up, a few *minor* complaints (weak wifi connection, strong smell of Asian cooking one night from a Chinese/Thai restaurant on the ground floor), excellent location near the central pedestrian zone but also easy access to the roads to various outlying villages and the Teutoburger Wald. Already planning a return trip!