Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nice France to Florence--how long a drive and best route?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:55 AM
sue

I am flying into nice or Lyons France. my destination is Italy--the west coast and tuscany. (for complicated reasons I cannot fly into italy--vouchers, etc) How long a drive is it from nice or lyons to florence? which would be a better place to start out? Is there a recommended route? thanks.<BR><BR>Also if there is another city in france that is a shorter drive to florence let me know

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:39 AM
wendy

ttt

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Mike

Nice is only an hour from the Italian border, so is a better choice than Lyons.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:10 AM
xxx

But how far to Florence from Nice?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Daniel

The railway along the coast via Pisa is about 270 miles/430 km. <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Wayne

"Best route?" meaning fastest route? If so, the autostrada A10-A12-A11 is the best way, and from Nice to Florence (which is a drive I made in June 2001) will take about 6 hours, depending on local situations and on how fast you drive. Allow some time for rest stops, and you'll maybe require 6 1/2 to 7 hours.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:10 PM
tania

In case you're wondering, it's about 6 1/2 hours by train too...with change of train in Genoa AND Pisa. In March, it cost us 37 euros each.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:24 PM
bill hunter

hey sue:<BR><BR>i just made the drive from nice to lucca, about 90 minutes west of florence. the drive is a breeze and will take about 5.5 hours (to florence, 4.5 to lucca) providing you do not get stuck in genoa traffic or stopped in one of the gazillion tunnels for no apparent reason. parenthetically,we were caught in a traffic stoppage about 30 kilometers west of genoa and spent about 45 minutes halfway through a mile long tunnel. notwithstanding police cars and lots of tension, it never was apparent why traffic stopped. very italian. as nice is so close to the border, it seems to make a lot more sense to fly there and drive over. have a great trip. it is a very easy and interesting drive.<BR><BR>bill