Nice CAFE near MUSEE MARMOTTAN?

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:12 PM
MaryC

Nice CAFE near MUSEE MARMOTTAN?

So, I've already done a search on this forum and have looked around on the web, and thus I feel utterly clueless at this point....

Does anyone know of any really nice cafes, bistros, brasseries very, very near the Musee Marmottan? I express in advance appreciation for help you could give me.

Thanks,
MaryC : )

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:44 PM
Ursula

Mary: The Musee Marmottan is close to La Muette which is a very lively upscale area in the 16th arr. You won't have a problem finding a nice place at Rue de Passy or around there. You will discover a neighbourhood of Paris which is very chic, not very touristy and truly beautiful. You will see Parisians doing their daily shopping, mainly on Rue de Passy. I suggest you have a stroll there and walk to the Passy metro stop to go back where you came from. You will find a very upscale dept. store Franck et Fils and also a large branch of the perfume paradise Sephora. Just pop into a cafŽ or brasserie that appeals to you. There is a nice place called "Astrance" on Rue Beethoven, close to Passy metro stop or you could have a glass of wine with a snack at the wine museum (Musee du Vin), located on Place Charles Dickens.
Other suggestion: You walk down Avenue Mozart to Ranelagh or Jasmin stops, a lively nice street as well. I am sure you will get the real Parisian feeling when walking around a little in that beautiful part of Paris.
Have fun!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 12:05 AM
Ursula

PS: The "Musee du Vin" is open daily for lunch except Monday.
www.museeduvinparis.com (with an English version)

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:22 AM
BTilke

We were regulars for several weeks at the Cafe Royal Mozart on the Ave. Mozart near the Jasmin metro stops. Very pleasant, good food and coffee, but not what I would call elegant. It's a neighborhood hangout.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Hiho

I suggest some of the cute little boites on RUE DE PASSY.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Leone

Two weeks ago, after visiting Musee Marmotton, we had lunch at a nice cafe (really a boulangerie)on Avenue Victor Hugo, on the left side as we walked toward the Etoile, about 3-4 blocks before. And if you have Cheap Eats in Paris, look at the map of the 16th on pages 196-197, and you'll see about 5 restaurants within 5-10 minutes walk of the La Muette Metro station. By the way, when you exit La Muette, look at the street map by the exit - it will get your oriented for the three block walk to Marmotton. You'll want to cross the circle, turn left and head down through the park. You'll see a carousel near Ave Raphael - the Marmotton will be straight ahead of you, across that avenue, about 75 yards. At this time there are 5 or so Monets on the entry landing, and 44 more downstairs in what they call their basement. By the way, if you do go into that cafe on Victor Hugo, ask them if they found a Marmotton book on December 30 - it's mine, and you may have it. I was having a forgetful moment. It was 55FF at the museum, but no charge to you. One other thought: if you plan to take Metro home, the station at Etoile is hard to see - it's outside the circle, on the other side as you come in from V. Hugo - juts walk counter clockwise and you'll find it. If you buy me a ticket to Paris, I'll meet you there and get you onboard personally. Ciao, Leone

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Cyd

I remember eating at a really nice little cafe on rue de Passy which is a street that begins by metro station la Muette and runs east from there. The cafe is on the right side, just a block or two from the metro station. Lots of outdoor tables, had a delicious lunch.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:11 AM
MaryC

Hi All!

Just wanted to give special thanks to Ursula, BTilke, Fred (yes, even Fred), Hi Ho, Leone, & Cyd for all the great info.

(Hi Sue & Kavey!)

I posted this at 3:30 am woke up at 11:30 to find 12 messages. Thank you for sharing your info with me. Tried to respond about 2 hours ago but was unable to then had to run out.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ursula, thank you for explaining about the atmosphere around La Muette. You have really hit the nail on the head of what I'm looking for in Paris! And especially thank you for mentioning a particular location, as I was hoping for personal "testimonials". Your suggestions sound wonderful! I truly trust your judgment, Ursula. ESPECIALLY thank you for the shopping tips. My best friend will LOVE that.

BTilke, thank you so much for your personal recommendation! I'm not really looking for an "elegant" place, so this sounds perfect. I was thinking of stopping off at Le Totem after a trip to the Marmottan, but it seems a little far away and I don't want to spend too much time "appreciating" too many nice restaurants. To do them justice requires about 3 hours, no? LOL And I only have a week.

Hiho, thank you for weighing in with your suggestions! I think I will do a "stroll" down Rue de Passy on Les Pages Jaunes to see what's there.

Fred, thank you also for your suggestions. You've helped me in the past and I appreciate it. No offense, but I think people are slightly offended at your attempts of what they see as "advertising". Das ist verboten on this forum.

Leone, despite your WICKED sense of humor and your reputation for "snobbery" (I've been reading the Rick Steves thread - HILARIOUS) you have really helped me out. Thank you so much. Your post was delightful! I really appreciate you trying to orient me to the area. Thank you for your kind offer of giving me the book! However, by now someone else will have seen this and try to take it. But if by any chance it is there (and believe me, I will ask), I'll be more than happy to mail it to you (once I've skimmed thru it, of course). ; ) And 55FF is not bad for a book, is it. Plus, dahling, once I've won the lottery I will definitely buy you a 1st class plane ticket to Paris. And we must have tea at Angelina's (and Mariage Freres and Laduree). (Along with C and Kavey and Mimi Taylor! And Ursula and Sue if they'd want to join up).

Cyd, you've given EXCELLENT directions to your preferred spot on Rue de Passy. When I do my "stroll" I will certainly make note of it. Thank you!!

Well I'm off to cut and paste now! I really must stop doing so much research (up until 3:30am INDEED).

You all have been so helpful. Ciao.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 08:13 PM
MaryC

Dear BTilke,

Using Les Pages Jaunes, I have found 2 cafes: Le Royal Mozart (on middle of street) and Cafe Mozart (on the corner) but it looks like both are closer to the Ranelagh Metro station?

Do you mind helping me further on name and location?

Thanks,
MaryC : )

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:03 PM
BTilke

Hi MaryC, I meant to bring that up, yes there are two cafes with very similar names. We went to the Royal Mozart. Le Mozart is close by and I think it's probably fine as well, we just never went there. There are several cafes and very good food stores near the Jasmin metro stop. Actually, I think they are about halfway between the Jasmin and Ranelagh stops--pick your choose, as we PA Dutchies say.
(FYI, The cafe dog at the Royal Mozart, a miniature white poodle, is named Snoopy).
OTOH, if you want to walk up to the Place Victor Hugo area (a litle farther) we really like the Scosa cafe/brasserie. Specializes in seafood and they don't care if you order a cappuccino or cafe creme after 11 am.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:44 AM
MaryC

BTilke,

Thank you so much for the tip!! You're always so incredibly helpful & nice. : )
(So, did you enjoy meeting Beth? She seems like such a nice person!)

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 12:25 PM
BTilke

Hi MaryC, thanks, and yes it was such an amazing coincidence to meet Beth when I was in London for a client meeting!! What are the odds of that??!! She's a great person, I wish her lots of luck, something may just work out.
When I was in London last week I had a solo interview with another potential client and right in the middle the fire alarm went off, so I had to walk down and then UP 7 flights of stairs! All the people were in the 20s (I'm not), so I had to pretend that oh, it's no problem walking up 7 flights of stairs at 9 am before I've had any coffee. After the interview, I bolted to Bond Street for a bagel and then a latte at the next door Starbucks (no time to look for anything fancier). Learned something about London ladies, too, based on my shopping experience at Selfridges: apparently they ALL wear padded bras!! VERY padded!! LOL. I had to hunt through the racks to find bras that weren't. The new thing is to have pads that are filled with silicone, just like the implants. Weird!
Down in the basement, I got my first real look at Moorcroft pottery and became an instant fan. I may save and pick up a piece when I go back to London in April.
(to everyone else, sorry about the thread drift...)
BTilke

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 01:34 PM
MaryC

And we are all just SOOOO chatty!! : )

Please don't apologize about the thread drift; I don't mind.

LOL That's funny about the bras though. How come I haven't noticed them in our U.S. magazines? Must not be a trend here. I expect to hit the spring line at Victoria's Secret (so maybe March, or Feb?).

Don't know about Moorcroft Pottery. Do you have a website?

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Laura

Yes, I'm curious, too. Never heard of Moorcraft Pottery either and would like to see the website.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 11:32 PM
BTilke

It's www.moorcroft.com but the collections they show online don't really do the pottery justice. You have to see it and hold it in person to really appreciate the craftsmanship.

BTilke

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:26 AM
xxx

topping

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:59 PM
for real

wow, looks like Beth A really did meet BTilke!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:11 PM
BTilke

Yes, we did meet. She joined several of my colleagues (and me) for dinner in West Hampstead.
BTilke (Brussels)

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:48 AM
MaryC

Hi BT! Haven't seen you in a while!

How bizarre for you two to recognize each other. Very, very cool.