Search

Nice and Provence—Revised 4 Day Itinerary—Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice and Provence—Revised 4 Day Itinerary—Some Questions

Hi—

Considering appreciated feedback from my prior posting in February-- http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ack-please.cfm --I’ve revised an itinerary for August for our family of 4--2 middle-agers, one on cane, plus 2 teacher (art and history) daughters, mid-20's, one’s a vegetarian.

What I’ve come up with best meets our preferences for places we’d like to visit and I don’t think we’ll change it too much. I acknowledge we don’t really have enough time, I know we will wish we had more and I’ve already cut out as much as I can bear. As well, we are changing location more than many here would suggest, but in the end we will make it work. Our style is to focus on the highlights, feel we’ve seen enough to be satisfied if we never get back here, and to know what things we’d like to see in greater depth/breadth if the opportunity should arise someday. I do have some areas where I could still use assistance, suggestions, and insight into making this plan work. For that I’ll be most grateful.

SATURDAY

· Arrive in Nice at 10 a.m. (from London City Airport)
Q: Would we go through customs/immigration in Nice and if so, how lengthy?

· Take the 98 Bus from airport.

· See Promenade Anglais along the way.

Q: Correct or not that we will wend our way down slowly thru the traffic, having a chance to view the coastline and the “scene” that is Nice along the way?

· Go to Hotel Suisse—It looks like the nearest stop on the 98 route will be Albert 1er which looks to be at Rue Saint Francois de Paule, a 1 km walk to the hotel along Quai des Etats-Unis per Google walking map. Not sure if we will walk this or get a cab for the short distance from the stop to the hotel.

Q: Anyone know this stop/route or have input on the terrain (i.e. paved or cobbled, etc) for pulling the suitcases along?

Q: Possibly cure immediate hunger and thirst along the way or will it be too crowded for suitcase-lugging patrons to stop?

Q: Anyone know if we’d be able to flag a cab at the bus stop if needed or must one call in advance for a cab in Nice?

Q: Where to buy water and wine in this area?

· Spend day between Old Town and Beach.

Q: Is it okay to walk around town with beach cover-ups?

· Beach—haven’t seen the Med yet and want to take a dip/splash. We know the beach is pebble/rock. Not sure if we’ll do public or private beach—depends on weather, timing, etc. I’ve found the suggestion of the public beach next to the Beau Rivage private beach which is said to have good public bathroom facilities and accessible to the snack bar from the private beach and which might thin out a bit at noon which is probably when we’d arrive if we don’t go into Old Town first.

Q: Anyone familiar with the Beau Rivage public beach?

Q: Other suggestions for best public and best private beach along Etats-Unis end of town?

Q: We’ve found some bargain inflatable plastic rafts which are nearly vacuum-packed—would those be suitable cushioning for a few hours on the beach?

· Old Town—would like to try Rene Socca and Fenocchio; Alziari sounds interesting—snack a little, shop a little.

· Dinner—Probably Le Safari (over Magica Zunica due to location to conserve on walking)—but need to decide whether to go for the non-smoking inside (safer bet as I’m ultra sensitive) or risk smokers outside to enjoy the scene.

Q: Any input on outdoor vs. indoor dining at Le Safari?

· Night Craft Market on Cours Saleya

Q: Is this the entire length of Cours Saleya or concentrated in one area (and if so, where)?

· Walk around Promenade if we’ve any energy left!

SUNDAY

· Market Cours Saleya as near to 7 a.m. as we can manage. Hope to have breakfast at or near the market, pick up some fruit, veggies, cheese, wine, bread, snacks for today and Monday.

Q: Will I find cheese, wine, bread here or do I need to shop elsewhere for these and if so, suggestions for places nearby?

· P/U Car at Railway Station Gare SNCF, Ave Thiers, @ 11:30 a.m—either 2 of us will walk up to get it or a cab for all with the luggage if we’re leaving from there.

Q: Does anyone familiar with pick-ups here have tips?

· Either check luggage at Hotel Suisse and park to spend more time in Nice, maybe lunch, or ice cream—OR leave directly from rental agency at train station eating market stuff along the way.

Q: Will I be able to find hourly parking on a Sunday if we decide to have lunch in town before leaving?

· Leave town by 1:30 pm if we don’t leave sooner.

· Drive from Nice toward Gordes, about 2-1/2 hours. Possible stop at Lavender Museum in Coustellet, hopefully arrive by 4:00 pm. (OR
If we stay later in Nice, possibly stop at Bories and just a drive up to Abbaye de Senaque—we hope to see some late lavender either at the museum or Abbaye, OR, If we’re running really later because we stay longer in Nice, directly to Auberge De Carcarille). We will probably view Gordes from a distance due to time constraints.

· Dinner at Auberge De Carcarille

MONDAY

· Breakfast at Auberge De Carcarille—8-ish. If we haven’t had a look at Abbaye de Senaque, do that.

· Head toward Rousillon (about 10 min.) around 10:00 am. Walk the Ochre Trail, see the town, possibly have lunch here. This will be our one perched village stop.

Q: Any tips/info on parking/routing in Rousillon which might make it easier with regard to mobility?

Q: Suggestions for lunch if we’re actually hungry by then?

Q: Suggestions for how to best spend the little time we have here?

· Drive, by 2:00 pm to Avignon (55 min.) to Hotel Mercure Pont d'Avignon, check-in fast as possible.

· Drive to Pont du Gard (about 30 min.) Visit the museum, then walk across the Pont.

Q: To walk on the pont do we need to be with a guide?

· Return to Avignon leaving Pont du Gard around 7-8 pm (31 min.)

· Dinner in Avignon—our hotel (Mercure Pont d'Avignon) is near Pont Saint Benezet, Palais de Popes is a 2 km walk south.

Q: Any suggestions for dinner in this area?

TUESDAY

· Les Halles Market—said to open at 6:00 a.m.—hope to get there by 7:00 a.m., shop for breakfast, lunch, wine and snacks.

Q: Can anyone confirm if all market stands are open at this early hour?

Lots to see today—thinking of doing it this way but just looked up Palace of Popes and see that it will be open until 9 pm in August with last ticket sales at 8 pm—don’t want to miss this but could also consider re-routing and coming back to Avignon by 7 pm:

· See Pont St-Benezet if not yet seen (open 9 am-9 pm)—decide if there’s time to walk on it.

· See Palace of Popes (opens 9 am-9pm, allow 1-2 hours)

· Leave Avignon by 12:00 noon latest to drive to Arles (47 min.) for a quick look around. Won’t have much time but we’re interested in Van Gogh points of interest, maybe the coliseum site.

Q: If we spent 1:00-2:30 pm in Arles how might we best use that short time to get the flavor of what we’re interested in seeing?

· Drive to Les Baux area (32 min.) to Le Mas de la Dame Winery, spend 3:00-4:00 pm here for wine and olive oil tasting (open 8:30 am-6:30 pm).

· Drive to St-Remy (11 min.) Spend 4:30-8:30 pm the latest.

· Possibly visit St-Paul-de-Mausole (open 9:30 am- 7pm)

Q: Suggestions for getting a feel for St.-Remy?

Q: Possible early dinner suggestions?

· Return (32 min.) to Avignon hotel before dark

Will have to consider if it would be better to re-order Tuesday getting an early start to the out-of-town destinations and then return to be back in Avignon by 7 pm to see the Palace, then have dinner later.

WEDNESDAY

· Depart Hotel Mercure Pont d'Avignon at 5:15 am.

· Drive to Avignon TGV, return rental car, depart on 6:40 am TGV.

Q: Have I allowed enough time?

Thanks for taking the time to help—it’s much appreciated! BTW, if travel times seem wrong, please let me know—thanks.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM

Sorry I can't comment on the rest of your itinerary, but have you checked that the car rental agency at the train station is open on a Sunday. From my experience, in most European cities you can only pick up a car at the airport on a Sunday. I hope for your sake that Nice is different...but check it out.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

KatPen--Thanks for your concern! I hope I'm safe on this--the rental is from Avis and I reserved for 11:30 a.m. The hours they show for that location on Sunday are from 8:00 am -noon and then they again from 5:00-7:00 pm. I did just double check and this is what they list on their website as well as what is printed on my confirmation from March. Hopefully I am safe...of course I will worry about it a bit until I have the car and I will be sure not to get there late, maybe even call over earlier to be sure they know I'm coming. Thanks, KatPen!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM

The airport direct bus that I use, stops only at the train station. You will see some of the coast then turn onto a crowded street towards the train station.

Nice airport is one of the easiest I have ever flown to and from. I wish they were all that easy.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM

If you have a printed confirmation from Avis I would not worry about it. Sorry to cause you concern, but I didn't realize you had already booked. Relax and enjoy!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM

I think your itinerary is fast-paced but doable. Of course, you'll make adjustments along the way regarding how much time to spend at each location/site.

No customs at Nice

The bus from the airport probably goes down the Promenade. However, the beach is actually about 1 "story" below the road - so you won't see lots of beach, but plenty of water.

You can wear anything you want in old Nice. Many people wear almost nothing at all. You'll see "one of each" in Old Nice - especially in the evening.

You'll really want to eat outdoors at the Safari to watch "one of each". Tell the person seating you to try to NOT seat a smoker next to you because you are alergic to smoke. Reserve in advance for Safari (I assume you have my 27 page Provence & Cote d'Azur intinerary with phone #)

The craft market covers much of the Cours

Cheese/wine/bread can be found at the market & at stores close by too.

Follow the signs to Gordes from Coustellet. Drive as far as the "scenic" spot - you'll know when you've reached it.

St Remy might not take 4 hours - it's quite small.

Stu Dudley
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"· See Promenade Anglais along the way." - don't count on it. The bus I was on (not the direct to the station one) was packed to the point that about all you could see were the people next to you.

If you're ultra-sensitive to smoke you need to eat inside. All the smokers are now outside, and no-one can guarantee you won't have a table of chain-smokers next to you.

There's a tram that will take you close to the main train station in Nice.
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replies thus far.

KatPen--If I get the rest of the planning done I will be able to start relaxing!

scatcat and thursdaysd--Thanks for bus info. Not sure what I will do. Hotel Suisse is said to have a fantastic view but the public transportation options seem to leave a km to walk and it's uphill. (The hotel is at the far eastern end where the Promenade/Etats-Unis curve south toward the port.) The bus to the train station will leave us further away, yet the 98 along the Promenade sounds like we just might have to settle for a view (or more) of someone's armpit. I found a site where I could prebook a taxi--expensive--may have to bite the bullet on that just to get to the fun part and save the walking for after we've stashed the luggage.

Stu--thanks for your feedback, always valued! With regard to St. Remy, how much time do you think I should estimate? If St. Remy takes less time, I could add more time for Arles. I still may reverse the trip and return earlier to Avignon to see Palais des Papes in the evening, but I need to see how this would work out time-wise in Arles and St. Remy with the lunch closings of shops, etc.

Thanks again to all!
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to stay at the Suisse you might do better to take the bus to the station and a taxi from there - I don't think you'll have any problem finding one at the train station. But the Suisse is really not well located for anything but a view of the sea.
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:01 PM

There are a lot of interesting shops in St Remy. How long you spend there depends on how much you poke around in the shops, cafes, etc.

Stu Dudley
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:06 PM

A taxi from the airport will probably cost about 35-40€.
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM

hi scatcat, what time do you think i would be need reach the Nice airport for my 1530 flight?
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM

There usually is a lot of traffic during the day, so I would allow 30 minutes by taxi just for the ride to the airport. If you go by bus, I would catch the 3:00 PM direct bus to the airport. I do not know if there are tram connections near your hotel, but if it is near, you can take the tram almost to the train station, then the direct bus to the airport. I think the day ticket for 4€ will cover the cost of both. You should ask at your hotel desk. It would be a lot less Euros than a taxi.
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Sorry about that mistake---not 3:00 PM but 1:00 PM. You will not have any trouble at the Nice airport.
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:30 PM

haha ok... i was wondering about the time!
i will be staying at La Perouse... does the airport bus go anywhere near there?

sorry sunupdj.. hope im not hijacking ur thread...
i will be spending 2 nights (arriving on a Thursday afternoon and leaving on a Saturday afternoon) in Nice so it is great to read about what you would be doing, as a reference for myself!
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM

You can only catch the Direct airport bus from the train station. Ask at your hotel desk if there is a bus stop near there that goes to the airport. There should be a stop close by. It will not be direct, but there are several buses that go in that direction. I read some place that the taxi fare to the center was only 25-28€ but I had to take a taxi about 3 years ago due to a public transportation strike and it cost 35€, then my stupid sister tipped the driver 10€.
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM

10?? wow...
hehehe
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:29 PM

Boy, this is if I may say so about the most obsessive itinerary I've ever seen. I hope you leave some time for just "smelling the roses" and hanging out at a café or two.

Sometimes I wonder if the Fodor's European Board encourages folks to be totally obsessive about itineraries, packing, footwear, and a host of other things. I really wonder about the folks that, say, go to Paris for 5 days and plan every single stop and eatery along the way. I'm a big planner myself, but this granular attention to itinerary detail sometimes blows my mind. I like to feel freed up from my normal routine when I'm traveling and not restricted. Just a thought.
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:35 PM

it is true... that most of us will obsess about the planning and the itinerary... for me, it is simply becoz it is my first trip and god knows how long will it be before i go bk to paris! BUT i am trying get myself to relax and just fix one or two big things to do each day, then hopefully fill the rest of the day with self discover by walking around...
still trying...
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:15 AM

I like to know what my "options" are when visiting a region, and then I put together an itinerary that doesn't have us doing something 28 hours a day or driving more than about 3 hrs a day. I make sure that an itinerary is "do-able". If we're somewhere that we're enjoying a LOT more than we anticipated, I'll adjust the schedule and perhaps eliminate/postpone one of the next events. We usually stay in one location for 2 weeks at a time, which is a lot more than most people stay in a single location. But when we were doing the more-typical 3-4 days in a location, I usually left the last day or half-day in an area "open" for things I've postponed from previous days.

In sunupdj's itinerary, I'll wager that they will not spend time on the beach in Nice. I'll also bet that they spend more time in the Luberon - perhaps just driving around and/or visits to Gordes & Bonnieux. I also predict that they will not visit Arles, after having visited Nice & Avignon. Provence kinda invites you to slow things down a bit & sit in a cafe & "people watch" or just "soak in" the atmosphere. However, I keep having to remind my wife to "hurry up" - unless she wants to get to St Remy (for example) just as the shops start to close for a 2 hr lunch break.

Sunupdj seems adequately prepared, so she will make adjustments when needed.

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -