next spring in Rome

Search

next spring in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
next spring in Rome

My daughter will be in Rome for the next spring semester (2008). My husband & I will be visiting her & Rome for a week-10 days. I have 2 questions: first when is a good time to visit Rome in the spring, and second, assuming the dollar is still in cellar compared to the Euro, and suggestions about where to shop, & suggestions about what to get in Rome.
thanx in advance to all
nj
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:04 AM
MaureenB

We visited Rome in early May 2006, after our daughter studied in Florence that semester. It was very pretty to see the flowers blooming in Rome, especially the azaleas on the Spanish Steps. I have heard others comment that they were disappointed with the Spanish Steps, but I don't think you could be if you saw it's deep pink flowers in full bloom.

P.S. Take the 10 days! Your daughter will really know her way around by then, and be able to converse a bit in Italian. She could show you Florence or other places she likes in Italy. It would be the trip of a lifetime.
>-

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM

It would be helpful to know when you plan to actually arrive as the division between the end of low season and the start of higher rates seems to be mid-March. Were you concerned about weather, pricing, crowds, holiday events you want to attend/avoid?

Do you enjoy shopping, what sorts of things were you looking for specifically, and what sort of budget were you considering?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Cupid
We would like it not to be that cold, not say February, and to avoid Easter in Rome which is March 23 in 2008.
I tend to like Italian handbags and maybe jackets. Also china/pottery.
thnx,
nj
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 12:40 PM

We were last there in early to mid March. It varied from sunny and low 70's to mid-40's and rainy. Overall it was good for sightseeing: fewer people despite the school groups on break, pleasant for brisk walking, still nice enough to eat outdoors, and the occasional rain not an issue with an unlined overcoat and travel umbrella.

You might try the Fendi store or La Sella; sometimes less expensive than you'd pay in the U.S. We like buying leathergoods and cashmere (when outside Rome) but quality is never cheap, so I don't think much about the exchange rate and just get something beautiful and useful to enjoy for many years to come. Your daughter might be your best resource for local favorites.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:27 AM

I always think gold jewelery is a good buy in Italy. Even with a weak dollar, in Italy it's mainly 18 K, which is hard to get in the US.