Next Papal Election and Travels to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Pope John Paul II is in the last twilight of his Papacy, it would be interesting to speculate how tourism in Rome will be effected during the next Papal Conclave. Anybody on the Fodor's board remember whether Rome was a mad-house of journalists when John Paul II was chosen Pope almost exactly 25 years ago? Will it be difficult to get a room during the Conclave. What will the journalists do if a Conclave is held during the high tourist season?
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:54 AM

On a related note, I saw that ABC's "Good Morning, America" show will be broadcasting from the Vatican on Monday & Tuesday, October 13th & 14th.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 09:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Unlike the previous Pope whose demise was planned, why don't we let this one depart on his own schedule?
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 09:54 AM

He could live for years. Why are you worrying about that now? They don't change Popes unless they die or if they themselves step down. That's unlikely.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 09:56 AM

Myer, I have a question. What do you mean by, "Unlike the previous Pope whose demise was planned,". Just curious.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 10:10 AM
Intrepid

Even though the Pope seemed particularly frail and actually "bird-like" when I was in Rome this past May, and despite the fact that he was obviously being wheeled by unseen hands to the window for his usual Sunday address, his voice, admittedly well-amplified, seemed remarkably strong for someone in his current medical condition. Bottom line: I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for his demise, planned or otherwise.
Some would say he has been "in the last twilight of his Papacy" for more than a few years already.
I am sure there will be rooms available in the city during the conclave as there were during the last one but since we don't know when that will occur I humbly suggest you consider visiting all those other spots you've been dreaming about traveling to before losing much sleep over this.
Interesting question, however.

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 10:32 AM

Ann1...I'm with you......John Paul I died of a pulmonary embolism.....he was sick when he was elected....although there have been moves to exhume his body, the Vatican itself has generally accepted the "theory" as it were that he did in fact die of natural causes.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Deepest apologies for the bad grammar. Affected is right, right, not effected. As for twilight of JP II's Papacy, hints have become stronger that Karol W. is losing his fight against mortality at a great rate. On Europe 1 radio, newly appointed Cardinal Archbishop Phillippe Barbarin of Lyons, France says, "The pope is reaching the end of the road. It's a big resonsibility for us. The pope is really bad shape." Cardinal Ratzinger has said something along the same lines recently.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

As for the timing of a Conclave, if JP II died in late April, Rome would be stressed for rooms for a Conclave. Who knows, Peter Jennings might have to sleep on the Spanish Steps at night and Dan Rather may have to sleep on a cot in Mammertine prison.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
GMA is probably there for the beatification of Mother Theresa, no? Or the celebration of the Pope's 25th year as Pope? Both are that week, I believe.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:30 PM

Only God can tell; ask him.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:46 AM

*Sigh!*

You can fool some of the papal some of the time, and some of the papal all of the time.....
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:16 AM

Nice one, BC!

Re: <i>They don't change Popes unless they die or if they themselves step down.</i>

Thanks. I didn't realize that a Pope can step down.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:27 AM

I could be wrong about the stepping down thing, but I seem to remember 100 years ago when I was in religious instructions that I was told they were pope forever. They could choose to step down, but no one has ever done that.

If there is a religious person out there that can confirm or deny this, it would be welcome.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:47 AM

The Pope can resign,just walk away.Pope Celestine V did it.However, it was not a popular move,as one would expect.Now, if the Pope becomes &quot;incapacitated&quot;, that is something for which there is no precedent.I have read discussions of wheteher or not the Pope has or has not executed a living will.I have not seen concrete evidence that in fact he does.( I am not a scholar of any kind,just a reader.)
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:53 AM

really, who cares. Old people don't die on a predicted date, if you've never been around them. Most people in their 80s are frail and sick, etc., but can live from 0-20 years more.

A pope can quit if he wants, he's not a prisoner, no one could stop him, right? Popes usually cling to power forever, and this one surely will.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:57 AM

I just heard him speak from his balcony on this last Sunday and he sounded pretty strong and lucid, they had a generator for his microphone in the blackout. In fact he looked better than when I had seen him on TV the week before.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:47 AM

Yes, a pope can choose to resign, but this man has said he would not. Celestine V was the only pope to voluntarily resign............but you'd have to look up his dates. I'm terrible at remembering dates, other that 1776 and 1066.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:52 AM

Celestine V...Pope from Aug 29,1294 to Dec 13, 1294....
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Celestine V had been a monk, I believe (Fransiscan?), and was in over his head as Pope. At the time, the kings of France dominated the Papacy. King Philip the Fair was king of France at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -