Newly single needs apartment in Paris

Sep 2nd, 1999, 12:27 PM
Mia

Newly single needs apartment in Paris

I have been to Paris several times, but would like to spend a month perfecting my french, eating good food and becoming aquanted with me as a Ms. instead of a Mrs. Depressing you say? A new adventure I hope. Any info on obtaining an apartment? or possible Hotel with cheap monthly rates? Safe local a must.
Merci

Sep 2nd, 1999, 12:52 PM
Kimberley

I don't have any apartment info.,but I just want to say how much I admire your strength and attitude. I see NOTHING depressing about your plan - in fact I think many people could learn from it! So many people respond to divorce by wallowing in it and trying to figure out out how to have the same life they had before, wondering why they feel empty inside. Power to you for recognizing your need for personal growth and change, and for pursuing your own, differentlife instead of clinging to your former one. A month in Paris will undoubtedly leave you refreshed and infinitely stronger. Good luck!

Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:14 PM
elaine

Per Fodor's guidebook,
Residence Hotels
Citadines Residences Hotelieres
18 rue Favart, 75002
phone 1 44 50 23 23
fax 1 44 59 32 50

Orion 30 pl d'Italie 75013
phone 1 40 78 54 54
in the US 800 546 4777
or 212 688 9538
fax 1 40 78 54 55
in the US fax 212 688 9467

Paris Appartements Services
69 rue d'Argout 75002
phone 1 40 28 01 28
fax 1 40 28 92 01

rental agencies
Rothray 10 rue Nicolas Flamel 75004
is said to have attractive properties in the Marais section
phone 1 48 87 13 37
fax 1 42 78 17 72

also Chez Vous is based in the US
in California
phone 415 331 2535
fax 415 331 5296

good luck

Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:14 PM
elvira

Apartment website:
http://www.abritel.com/services/abritel/uk/Consult.html
also: http://fr.classifieds.yahoo.com/fr/rn/

Can't think of a better city to find/lose yourself...Hard to be discouraged or depressed in a city that has patisseries every other shop and more sidewalks cafes than you can shake a stick at (IF that's your idea of a good time).

Make a note of my email address; I want you to let me know all about your adventure (in great detail, I might add) and when you write that best selling novel, I can say "hey I gave her a website to find an appartement"

Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:35 PM
Harriett

What a great plan!

I rented an apartment in the Latin Quarter last spring from a company called Paris Connection, based in Ft. Lauderdale, which I found in a Frommer's budget travel guide. I was very pleased with the apartment, especially cost, safety and location, and would recommend them. According to their brochure, weekly rates for a studio average $650-$750. Their U.S. phone # is 954/475-0815; fax # is 954/475-0630. You might also want to make a direct contact with their Paris manager, Jim Buongiorne, who is very helpful and probably more familiar with what's actually available. His e-mail address is [email protected]; I don't know if they have a website.

Another possibility: If you can find a copy of a publication called FRANCE TODAY, you'll find a number of classified ads in the back by people with apartments in Paris who rent them directly. That website is www.francepress.com.

Bonne chance!

Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:37 PM
Harriett

What a great plan!

I rented an apartment in the Latin Quarter last spring from a company called Paris Connection, based in Ft. Lauderdale, which I found in a Frommer's budget travel guide. I was very pleased with the apartment, especially cost, safety and location, and would recommend them. According to their brochure, weekly rates for a studio average $650-$750. Their U.S. phone # is 954/475-0815; fax # is 954/475-0630. You might also want to make a direct contact with their Paris manager, Jim Buongiorne, who is very helpful and probably more familiar with what's actually available. His e-mail address is [email protected]; I don't know if they have a website.

Another possibility: If you can find a copy of a publication called FRANCE TODAY, you'll find a number of classified ads in the back by people with apartments in Paris who rent them directly. That website is www.francepress.com.

Bonne chance!

Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:43 PM
Harriett

A postscript to my previous post -- If you can find a copy, be sure to read "Le Divorce" by Dianne Johnson before you go. I had read great reviews of it before our trip but couldn't find it anywhere -- and a copy turned up in our apartment! It takes place in the Latin Quarter neighborhood where our apt. was located, and is quite an intriguing look at Parisian life (from the viewpoint of a twenty-something American woman).

Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:46 PM
Harriett

A postscript to my previous post -- If you can find a copy, be sure to read "Le Divorce" by Dianne Johnson before you go. I had read great reviews of it before our trip but couldn't find it anywhere -- and a copy turned up in our apartment! It takes place in the Latin Quarter neighborhood where our apt. was located, and is quite an intriguing look at Parisian life (from the viewpoint of a twenty-something American woman).

(And I apologize in advance if this posts twice like the previous one . . . )

Sep 2nd, 1999, 02:22 PM
Carol

Good for you Mia! I think you'll find that most decent apartments in Paris go for @ $650/750 a week. You gan get a lovely 2-star hotel room in the 7th arr. (great safe very charming left bank area for somewhat less, say $75/80 a week. Definitely do a search on "Paris hotels" in this forum, you'll find dozens of good recommendations. Also, think of how nice it will be to be looked after--fresh linens and towels daily. friendly other guests....I'd definitely do a hotel. Let us know how it works out.

Sep 2nd, 1999, 02:25 PM
Carol

Sorry Mia!--$75/80 a week is sheer wishful thinking on my part. Of course I meant $75/80 a night. You should be able to order Le Divorce from Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble. I agree, it's a must read and a must buy. I guarantee you'll read it more than once. Bonne Chance.

Sep 2nd, 1999, 08:53 PM
Mia

Thank you everyone for all the positive support! I've been married for 12 years and at 33, I have never been on my own.
So this will be a wonderful way to start my new found independence.
Thanks again!

Sep 3rd, 1999, 11:44 AM
Christina

I justed rented an apt. in July in Paris and can recommend highly the agency I used (Paris Sejour Reservation). It's a Parisian firm but has a Chicago office, also, so you have both bases covered (local office and better inventory but US office for questions, problems & you can pay with US credit card). PSR has a wider range of apts in Paris than some other agencies (ie, Chez Vous) who cater mainly to higher-budget American tourists and thus only have pretty expensive apts in 4th-7th arr. PSR's fees are very reasonable, also, but from what I saw (and I did extensive searching of at least 6 or more agencies before renting) $650-750 per week is very low (and fairly unlikely) for most agencies and you will gen. only get a studio in a less-popular area for that rate. Chez Vous is EXTREMELY expensive, like $200+ per night. Generally, you will not save money doing this at all over a hotel; your main reason should be desire for a different experience and some ability to cook (but don't expect a great kitchen, I'll warn you, at the lower end; if this is important, ask very specific questions about the equipment). Also, be prepared that the bathroom facilities may not be as nice as what you'd get in a 3 star+ hotel, if they're in an older renovated apt. Also, be warned that you will probably have to pay the ENTIRE amount in advance, about half of it several months in advance. Anyway, PSR is at www.qconline.com/psr (I think) and www.yourhomeinparis.com. Another good, reasonable agency that is more local (Paris Connections is geared towards Americans who need hand-holding and don't know French or Paris; that may be what you want) is www.locaflat.com (they are a French firm, you have to pay in francs, I think, they have a wider range and cost of apts, though, than Am. firms and a good WEBsite for browsing, as does PSR. Barclays is an agent (whereas PSR and Locaflat handle their own apt rentals) only for private owners/small agencies listings; but they do have a good WEBsite and their fees are very reasonable, because I compared the exact same apt. on their site to some US agents (most of whom markup the rate a lot) and their fees were good (www.barclayweb.com). Paris Connections has a WEBsite, but it's tricky because it's really only a couple people and they change the name of the company around some; I think they're currently at www.paris-sleeps.com (I think that's the same company). There's also a local company, think someone else mentioned it (PAS) and I think you can get info on them on www.pariserve.com.
Anyway, I paid about 550F PER NIGHT for a studio in the 15th arrondisement through PSR, so that's the low end of their price range. All of these agencies do provide linens, etc., though--can't speak for others, but PSR did a very good job on that one (plenty of towels, not just one); they changed sheets and cleaned apt. once a week, which is fine with me. The Orion and Citadines aparthotel chains are options also; they are generally very modern but that's not always bad, at least you may get more reliable stuff that way. Also, I think they don't have the stiff deposit requirements apt. agencies do, I'm not sure. But, they won't be cheaper than a hotel, either, they're about US$100 per night in the smaller rooms. I do have other information on more student/intern residences if you really want cheap, just say so (these are called foyers). These are more about 100-175F per day; it won't be like an apt, though, more like a dorm.

Sep 6th, 1999, 01:26 AM
Vincent

Those rental agencies seem VERY expensive to me, compared to, either Citadines, or the short term rentals offered in the ads here. Actually, I think the best bet for you would be to look at the ads in FUSAC, a free bi-monthly aimed at the Anglo-Saxon expat community here in Pari. It is full of ads of people temporarily renting their apartments. Of course, it is not available on the net, but if you e-mail me directly with your mailing address, I'll mail it to you. FYI, the "normal" rent for a studio apartment in a medium range neighborhood would be 3500 - 4000 F. You could also look into the "house swapping" sites that thrive on the net. I think Citadines has a site as well. Do a search on www.yahoo.fr. Feel free to e-mail me, I'll be happy to assist you.