Newbie to Europe...please HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First let me say I think this site is fantastic especially how people are so willing to help each other!
I am traveling for 35 days with my 11 year old son this summer. We are arriving in Amsterdam and flying out of Ireland. I am at a loss as to how best plan this trip. I think the Eurorail is the best way to go but wonder if anyone might have some pointers on traveling with the restricitons of train travel (ie will have to find accomodations near the train station). Also, any ideas on good places to go with an 11 year old??? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:23 AM

Okay, first of all, you don't need accommodations near train stations. The public transit systems in Europe are light-years ahead of ours, and you can stay anywhere you find good lodging value and zip to the station in minutes.

Second, a Eurailpass is rarely a good deal unless you're in constant motion - which is not a good way to travel. I recommend you settle in a few base cities (maybe one per week) and explore the region by public transit, <i>then</i> possibly rent a car if there's something you want to see that's otherwise inaccessible.

But first, think up an itinerary and enter it into http://www.railsaver.com/railsaver.asp - and check the box &quot;Only if railpasses save me money.&quot; Then come back here and ask some more questions.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

Europe is a BIG place. Do you have any idea which countries you want to visit?

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
E_M

Why don't you ask your son what he'd like to do and see?
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:42 AM
ira

Hi G,

Have you ever traveled for 35 days with an 11-yr old boy?

I suggest that you choose 5-7 destinations and then let us help you refine your itinerary.

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

WOW! So many responses so quickly! THANK YOU!
I pretty much have Amsterdam covered (staying 4 days there). My son would like to do a luge ride in Switzerland and enjoy the scenic trains. Also, thinking of seeing some of the castles in Germany (Ludwig's in particular). I thought we'd &quot;chill&quot; in Paris for close to a week (do you think an apartment is better than a hotel for the two of us?). Want to spend same amount of time in London and of course finish up in Ireland. I am being very realistic about traveling with an 11 year old and thought having a few base cities is the best way to go. I'm surprised to hear your thoughts on the rail ticket though. I will research point to point tickets. Any thoughts are appreciated! This has been a dream of mine for a long time and I'm just thrilled to share with my son.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM

Giggles, sounds like you have some good ideas. The Ludwig castles might be easier if you rent a car for a few days. Very nice driving on the &quot;Romantic Road&quot; and you'll see more of Germany that way. It's been 3 years since I have visited S. Germany but if mmy memory is correct the trains wouldn't be helpful in that area. Well worth a few days stay somewhere like Fussen and make day trips from there to the castles and I'm sure an 11 y-old would love to ride a cable car to the top of the Zugspitze. Check out: www.suzannes.de I think she has a map of the Romantic Road on the bottom of her B&amp;B webpage.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You might want to look at various itineraries, here on Fodor's, ones in guidebooks, etc. to start getting some generall ideas. You have a nice chunk of time and I think planning only using forums like this ones because you have such a vague idea of a start can be confusing. BUT very helpful to pin down some specifics as you plan.

For instance, likely a rail pass is not cost effective (as already mentioned) *especially* if you will stay in one or two place for a week each. You have to travel a LOT for them to pay off.

I think an apartment in Paris is a great idea. There are several threads going now even with links to specific places people are considering staying.

Switzerland is fantastic. I love the area outside Geneva on Lac Leman. You could train down to Lausanne from Paris (~5 hours) and stay in Vevey or Montreux. Chateau de Chillon there would be an EXcellent way to spend a day with your son.

Amsterdam is an easy city to plan and a good place to begin a trip.

Since you'll be departing Ireland, I guess you want a large &quot;loop&quot; of an itinerary?
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:42 AM

I think an apt in Paris (and other destinations) with an 11 year boy is a great idea -- a little more privacy and breathing space. Seems like this will be more necessary as the trip goes on and you start to get on each other's nerves (sorry, I'm making all sorts of assuumptions but it doesn't sound like you can let an 11 yr old go off by himself so it will be 24/7 togetherness for 35 days...) I'd start with hotels and try to find as many apt's as possible as the trip goes on. good luck!

If I was 11 years old I'd rather ride in trains than in a car. Pack light, and spend at least some time in apartments where you can do a laundry.

You might want to spend more time in Amsterdam. It's great for kids and you can go out of town and ride bicycles.

I suggest the Netherlands, Germany/Austria, Switzerland, Paris and finishing up in London for a few days.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure how wealthy you are but Switzerland can be a bank basher. Also train tickets in UK in particular are way higher than the rest of Europe. I guess you know we have SouthWest clones here I use www.skyscanner.net and set it to a European country to get an idea of low cost flight option. Ryanair for example have flights into little parts of germany which might link up for the Castle thing. Booking flights this far ahead could end up at &pound;3 per flight plus &pound;35 taxes!

Summer Luge I hope (Winter luge is probably banned for an 11 year old), also available in Germany
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:51 AM

London is more expensive than Switzerland.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:19 AM

For novices looking at a rail trip thru Europe i always point out two excellent sources of free info: www.ricksteves.com, whose web site talks a lot about rail travel, railpasses as well as alternatives like cheap airlines, and the excellent free European Planning &amp; Rail Guide (free from www.budgeteuropetravel.com) which is a great primer not only on planning a rail trip but has lots on packing, itineraries, rail maps for each country, changing money, etc. But as mentioned above in a post Fodors.com is the best i've seen to have questions answered and advice given - someone will expertly answer even the most arcane of questions - of all the travel sites on the web Fodors and Fodorites have impressed me the most.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
ira

Hi G,

&gt;My son would like to do a luge ride in Switzerland ...

They have them in the Summer?

OK. Amstdm, Somewhere in Switzerland, Fuessen, Paris, London and Ireland.

That looks good.

Amsterdam to Munich is a long train trip. You will want to have a sleeper (see www.bahn.de), or fly (see www.whichbudget.com).

In Munich, you could also visit Salzburg before going to Fuessen (www.bahn.de)

From Munich, you might want to spend a few days on Lake Constance before heading for Switzerland.

Tickets into, in, and out of France are at www.voyages-sncf.com.

Enjoy your sojourn.