Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping to go to Italy and France the first week of September for two weeks. I am trying to pull an itinerary together but am suffering sticker shock re places to stay! I am on my own, female, middle aged and have never had an opportunity to travel before. I really want to see Rome, Venice, Florence and Paris. Any suggestions as my funds are limited. Excited and nervous.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok
The site has experts in lots of areas but they need guidance. What do you like to do, how much for accomodation then ask the question with the clues in the title. Ie Italy France sept visit opera. Also you may want to search the superthreads on say Paris
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Paris hotels - inexpensive to moderate:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34663528

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34731144

Paris hotels - cheap but still ok:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35025827
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 09:14 AM
ira

Hi One,

Welcome aboard.

As much as I love Paris, I suggest that you make it easy on yourself and visit Venice, Florence and Rome (in that order) this time.

Save Paris for another visit.

See www.kayak.com for airfare into V and out of R.

See www.trenitalia.com for trains between cities.

In Florence, I can highly recommend www.bedinflorence.it. See my report for details:http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Also see: Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

I want to spend three days in Rome, a day or so in Venice, four or five days in Florence. I thought that as I am travelling solo that day tours might be my best bet to see the highlights in all theses cities. It seems Florence is the best jumping off spot for Tuscany and again day tours.

I thought it might be a good idea to get a urail pass so I can get to paris but like I said trying to get some more experienced folks ideas.

I would like to spend the remainder off my time in Paris seeing the highlights. Basically soaking up the atmosphere and flavours of all these places,

As for accomodations I would like to spend as little as I can get away with. My daughter thought I should stay in hostels as some take older people and have single rooms. I don't need fancy I just need safe clean and centrally located.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Try tripadvisor www.tripadvisor.com it will give you an idea of hotel rates comparing the rates with Expedia Hotels.com etc. and what othere who have stayed in the hotels think. I have done this many times and always find others advice right on about the properties I have stayed at.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Hostels can be a great option, although I can't make any specific recommendations in your case. Different hostels have very different atmospheres, so definitely do your research, but if all you need is a bed and shower in a good location, for sure keep them in the mix. We had a roommate in London who was probably in her late 50s or early 60s.

I will say that depending on where you are, a hostel might not be that much cheaper than a b&b - that was the case when we were in western Ireland. However, I'm not sure about Italy or Paris.

If it were me, I'd go to Paris IF you don't do day trips from Tuscany. If you have exactly two weeks to travel, for example you'd have...

- one day/overnight flying to Venice (arrive next AM)
- day and a half in Venice, lateish train to Florence on second day
- two full days in Florence
- morning train to Rome, 3.5 days in Rome
- flight to Paris, 3.5 days in Paris
- travel back to US from Paris

If you want to do day trips to Tuscany, that takes days from Paris or Rome, and Paris makes the most sense to cut. Just my two cents.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would keep a first trip simpler, especially since you have only 14 days. Either the 3 cities in Italy OR Paris and Venice together. Believe me it will be easier to plan, cost less money, and be less stressful to carry out your plans.

You do not need a rail pass for this amount of travel or to get to Paris as you mention. You just buy 2nd class tickets at the train station as you go.

Don't be afraid of solo travel as a female at your age. Lots of us do it The difference is that it's your first trip. That's why I encourage you to keep it simple. Rome, Venice Florence, Tuscany, Paris in only 14 days is a fairly aggressive pace of travel.

Nothing wrong with staying in hostels if you like that kind of thing, but sometimes you can find a pensione, convent, B&B, even 1/2-star hotels for a similar price to a private room in a hostel, and it's usually nicer.
kindly, suze
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 09:49 AM

I'm thinking that 4 cities in 2 weeks will not allow you to really enjoy them all. With travel, checking in/out of hotels, you will be losing too much time to "getting there" versus "being there".

How about an Open Jaw flight into Rome and home from Paris? Train between two cities (don't get Eurail pass). If you do a search here I believe you will find some such trips.

Part of the excitement of planning a trip is making a list of all of the things you want to see and do...part of the enjoyment of a trip is not following that list.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:10 AM

One thing you might want to consider in Italy is staying in convents and monasteries. Here's a link to get you started: http://www.transitionsabroad.com/pub...olcevita.shtml
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:10 AM
rex

The reply from bilbo alluded to this, but didn't say it directly enough... and others have allowed this thread to "sprout legs", rather than letting you know, right away, that you have "violated" a basic principle of etiquette here...

...that is, your posting needs to have a message <b><i>header</i></b>, telling others what information you are seeking.

You wouldn't title a book &quot;For beginning readers&quot;, would you? And if you did... can you imagine going to the library, and every book in the children's section said &quot;For beginning readers&quot; on the cover?

So, you should re-post and use a message header (&quot;title&quot more like...

&quot;First-time traveler seeking advice on budget lodging in Italy and/or Paris&quot;.

That way, you won't create the need for lots of people to have to click on your question... just to see what you're asking - - and you'll attract additional answers from those with worthwhile information to share with you.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
While Rex provides valid guidelines for the forum, I think oneonly has gotten some great ideas on her thread.

I like the Rome/Paris combination suggested by Michael above as one option.

Using the &quot;open jaw&quot; plane ticket is another hugely good trick. Fly into Rome out of Paris. Into Venice out of Rome. Like that. It usually does not cost significantly more money that a regular round-trip ticket and avoid time and cost backtracking on the ground.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:26 AM
ira

Hi one,

&gt;Basically soaking up the atmosphere and flavours of all these places,...three days in Rome, a day or so in Venice, four or five days in Florence.&lt;

5 days in Florence is a good idea.

You are 2-3 days short on both Rome and Venice.

You lose 2 days getting to and leaving Europe, so you only have 11-12 nights.

I suggest 3 Venice, 4 Florence (side trip to Siena), 4-5 Rome (daytrip to Orvieto).

OR

Go to Paris and Rome.

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM
LJ

I will second StCirq'a reccomendation to try convents as an alternative to hostels.Also seek out tavalo caldo and eat your main meal at luncheon to keep costs down.

But if you have not yet purchased a ticket and budget is so tight, have you considered going a little later in the season? For all the cities you want to go to, first two weeks of September will still be prime season for accomodation and that will make a difference in availability of good/cheap rooms.

BTW&lt; as you refine your trip and your itinerary, Rex is right about titling...you will find that this forum functions best on very specific questions.

Welcome and have fun planning!
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:12 AM

oneonly:

Firstly, Ira's suggestion above for Peterson B and B in Florence is excellent (&quot;Bed in Florence&quot. Based on his recommendation, I recommended it for our daughter an son-in-law and they gave it very good grades..well located, walking distance to all of the main sites.

Secondly: Please don't get spooked by food costs of any restaurants suuggested on the forum...you can eat very well at mom and pop's trattorias, panini's and pizza, pasta dishes for lunch or dinner, etc. I daresay, your food costs in Italy should not surpass those when eating in most local and neighborhood restaurants wherever you live in the USA. Just avoid the &quot;continental dining&quot; which some will talk about on these pages. With a tight budget, it just isn't necessary...perhaps a splurge here and there. if you wish.

Good luck...and welcome aboard..this is the place for help.

Stu T.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 03:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oneonly

Driving home last night I thought I had not been sufficiently welcoming to the site in my response. So welcome

Lots of stuff you can cover but just a few notes on food and money.

France and Italy operate a fixed price meal and an a la carte system. This second puts the more expensive dishes to one side and can be bought seperatly.

The cheap way is to eat the fixed price menu (there may be 1 2 or 3 set prices) but be aware that europeans eat things that other countries throw away. My big hang up is tripe but moving on..

In Italy it is possible to eat very well at lunch for very little as cafes will have a working day lunch room (out the back) where yu can get almost all you can eat plus wine and will be pretty well priced.

Finally ethnic food tends to be cheaper than local food. In paris this may not be the French thing but I like the Tukish or Greek restaurants the staff are very patient and it makes the money go further
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

To everyone who has replied thus far...thanks. The more info the better. It has also been helpful and appreciated on suggestions of what to ask and how to ask. Seriously new at this so am on a steep learning curve.

I have little flexability regarding the time frame of when I go as I was lucky enough to get free airfare, so ready or not here I go. I was just informed this a.m. that I am now likely flying into Florence and out of Paris. My biggest financial concern is lodging. After reading some of the replies I am now thinking that I should forego Rome this time and spend my two weeks based in Florence (day trips to the Tuscany regions) and Paris. It also feels less overwhelming.

Keep the advise coming in, I really do appreciate it.

I have no clue how to change the title so I'm stuck with newbie.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM

&gt;be aware that europeans eat things that other countries throw away

What, they don't make sausages in UK? Amazing!

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:42 PM
ira

Hi one,

&gt;I am now likely flying into Florence and out of Paris. ....spend my two weeks based in Florence (day trips to the Tuscany regions) and Paris. &lt;

You could do a lot worse.

Do not, repeat not, even consider going to Venice as a daytrip from Florence. It will ruin Venice for you.

From Florence you can easily visit: Bologna, Orvieto and Siena.

Take the no. 7 bus from the SMN station up to Fiesole (0;20 hr 1E) and watch the sun set over the city from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

See my trip report for details:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

See www.whichbudget.com for discount flights from Rome or PSA to Paris.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Are you planning 14 days in Europe taking off a day on each end for travel to and from Europe. You will also need to figure travel time between stops.

I agree with others that you not try to conguer Europe in two weeks. Pick a couple of citys and savor them. I would suggest Paris and Rome. I'm sure others would suggest a different combination.

After you get home from that trip you can start planning your next one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -