New Year's In Paris

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 07:52 AM
Helen M.

New Year's In Paris

I will be going to Paris for New Year's with my boyfriend. I am looking for some suggestions on inexpensive but nice hotels. Where are some places to celebrate New Year's Eve? Also, will "tourist attractions" be closed on new year day? We will be there just a few days; what are some must sees?

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 03:13 PM
Diane

I'd suggest you get crackin' and either call a travel agent, or buy a couple of guidebooks and start calling to make reservations. Try 1-800-96hotel. Or visit some of the Paris websites.Know what arrondisement you want to stay in. <BR>Don't get stuck out in the suburbs. <BR>Definately make a reservation for dinner on New Years Eve before you ever leave home! <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 03:48 PM
Brian Verkay

helen, believ it or not, i have the same questions! i am surprising my wife with a trip to paris for new year's. although i have relatives in germany that assure me that there will be no problem, i wonder what it will be like. will he get us a descent room? will it be crowded? what should we expect from the weather? we will only be there from dec 31 through jan 4, so if anyone has any suggestions for nice interestig romantic NON-HECTIC things to do, please let me know. and forward a copy to helen. <BR> <BR>thanks in advance, <BR> <BR>brian

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 05:57 PM
catherine

I'll be in Paris from 12/26-1/9 with 10 other people. I've printed out all the basic info, Louve, Notre Dame, maps of the city, lists of restaraunts, etc. They've asked me to get more specific info on places to eat around our hotel, esp. times they are open. The last time we were there we spent a fortune on room service because it was the only thing available after 10:30 pm. Because of our schedules our work day ends around 2 am. Other than the hotel we couldn't find anywhere to eat. I know we'll try to be up by noon a few days so we can have lunch in other neighborhoods. And we'll plan 2 or 3 days to all go out for dinner at the same time. But most days we aren't ready to have a meal until after work, around 1:30 am. Also, our days off are Sundays and most are closed on Sundays. Any suggestions? My hotel name/address is: <BR> <BR>Hotel Meridien Etoile <BR>81 Blvd. Gouvin Saint Cyr <BR>75017 Paris <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 11:36 PM
Sue Thompson

Helen - <BR>I have found a hotel called Trinite Plaza and I might be able to get you a room for new years. The rates are about 110.00 per night and it is in the 9th district. i am a travel agent and would be happy to help...800-577-2909

Old Dec 4th, 1998, 08:42 AM
Lu B.

I have stayed at a little hotel on the Rue du Rivoli, called the Hotel France Louvre. Very nice. Not fancy. There is no concierge if you are looking for help. And, the staff speaks mostly French, some English. But, if you're looking for reasonable, this is clean and neat and in the 4th arrondissement.

Old Dec 4th, 1998, 05:46 PM
dave

We spent last New Year's eve in Paris and flew home Jan 1 so I can't comment on New Year's Day. But I can tell you that you must make your dinner reservations for New Years "Eve in advance. All the restuarants have limited menus and get booked quickly. After dinner, we went to the Champs Elysee where we spent midnight with half a million of our closest friends. They're pretty calm but shoot off a lot of fireworks. We were under the mistaken impression that Paris would not be crowded during the holidays and we were wrong. It's plenty crowded and there are lines at the usual tourist attractions. But it was great.

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 05:53 PM
Carol M.

We were in Paris two years ago for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day..things were very quiet on New Year's Day mostly everything was closed, but I read somewhere about a parade that took place in Montmartre. I asked at our hotel if anyone had heard about this parade and they didn't know what I was talking <BR>about...we decided to go to Sacre-Coeur <BR>anyway since there was nothing else to do...it was very touristy, but very charming...as we were walking around we heard music...and on the street below we saw our parade...it was great. We also will be in Paris again this New Year's Eve, but unfortunately we have to fly out on New Year's Day and will miss the Parade. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>talking about. Since there was nothing else to do we ventured up to Sacre-Coeur to walk around and found that it was probably the most crowded place in Paris that day...it was touristy but so charming.. and while we were walking around we heard music from the street below...it was the parade...I highly recommend going to Montmartre on New Year's Day..we