Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where can I exchange foreign coins in Minnesota?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 1998, 11:03 AM
Barb

Hello Everyone! I just came back from my first trip to Europe. I went to Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Amsterdam and Holland. I received many excellent tips from all of you that responded to my posting, on ideas of what to see while in Europe. Now that I am back,(and going through withdrawls), I have some foreign coins, that I would like changed into American money. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can do this? As always, I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks for your responses and happy traveling!

Old Dec 3rd, 1998, 11:18 AM
Caryn

The best advice about those leftover coins is to either spend them on chocolate (or whatever you like) before you leave the country or keep them for souvenirs. Most exchanges do not like to exchange coins. <BR> <BR>You can try calling your bank. Or try a large bank like Citibank and call them.

Old Dec 3rd, 1998, 11:24 AM
barb

Caryn, <BR> <BR>Thank you for the tips! Have a nice Holiday! <BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 1998, 03:24 PM
Kittie

Barb, <BR> <BR>If you have an American Express card you can go to your local Amex office. There may be a fee, but depending on how much you have it may be worth it. The office in Tampa won't take coins only paper money so it would be a good idea to ask first. <BR>Good luck! <BR>Glad to hear that you had such a great trip! <BR> <BR>Kittie <BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 1998, 03:25 PM
Kittie

Barb, <BR> <BR>If you have an American Express card you can go to your local Amex office. There may be a fee, but depending on how much you have it may be worth it. The office in Tampa won't take coins only paper money so it would be a good idea to ask first. <BR>Good luck! <BR>Glad to hear that you had such a great trip! <BR> <BR>Kittie <BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 1998, 05:43 PM
barb

Kittie, <BR> <BR>Thank you for the American Express tip. I will call them and cross my fingers. My trip was wonderful, I appreciate your kind words! Happy Holidays. <BR>

Old Dec 4th, 1998, 04:51 AM
Aurora

We have had this problem solved for many years. If the amount of coins or bills is not too large, simply find yourself a set of envelopes and put the Belgian coins or bills into one and write "Belgium" on the outside. Do the same with all the others, nation by nation. For your own purposes, you will have a supply of coins next time you go to that country. As a thoughtful "bon voyage" gift to others, simply give them the envelope of the country where they are headed. Friends gave us a packet of Turkish coins and small bills this past spring. These became very useful once we hit the ground in Istanbul. We repayed their thoughtfulness by bringing them a box of Turkish Delight purchased at the airport just before our homeward-bound flight.

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 06:34 PM
barb

Aurora, <BR> <BR>Thank you for thw wonderful idea. I think I will give some smaller coins to my siblings children. I will share the rest with friends that I know will be traveling to Europe. I don't know if I will get there before the Euro-dollar happens. (If it does). <BR> <BR>Happy Holidays! <BR>

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 06:35 PM
barb

Aurora, <BR> <BR>Thank you for thw wonderful idea. I think I will give some smaller coins to my siblings children. I will share the rest with friends that I know will be traveling to Europe. I don't know if I will get there before the Euro-dollar happens. (If it does). <BR> <BR>Happy Holidays! <BR>