Reload this Page >

New Year's Eve in Amsterdam - a couple of questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:32 AM
stevefrat

Hi- My wife and I and another couple are planning to spend 5 nights in Amsterdam after Christmas including New Year's Eve. We know the weather will be cold, and most likely, wet, but we don't care.

My first question concerns airfare. Right now, the best fares I'm seeing are approximately $1,200 roundtrip out of Philadelphia. We could fly out of Newark, New York, or Baltimore if that would save us a considerable sum of money, but our first preference is Philadelphia (it's a 15 min. cab ride). In your experience, is $1,200 reasonable for that time of year? Or, should we wait?

Our next question concerns New Year's Eve. When I asked the other couple what they would be interested in doing, I received the following reply, "I would like a decent reasonably priced dinner on NY eve and a ton of booze and a cigar to follow." Any recommendations? Should we book far in advance? Or, should we wait until we arrive?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

-Steve

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't answer your restaurant booking question but you should book your hotel far in advance as the week between Xmas and NYEve is the most hectic time in Amsterdam all year - i tried a few years ago to book any kind of hotel or hostel for my son starting in November and everything in town was fully booked by then. It's also a wondrous time for Amsterdam - lots of folks about as people flock in from other countries to celebrate the week-long festivities.
Tot Ziens!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:59 AM
stevefrat

Thank you. We plan on booking a 2 bedroom apartment next week.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Steve,

For your first question you may be too high. On Christmas Day three months ago I paid $578 RT from Detroit to Amsterdam. I found that fare after reading a good discussion here about consolidators. I saved hundreds of dollars. (Better than than a geeko ad!) I used http://www.airticketsdirect.com/ after searching on www.kayak.com per another Fodorite.

New Year's Eve in Amsterdam is a bit surreal. Not much is open. It is a family and neighborhood night. But at the stroke of midnight it looks like a war has broken out. Amateur sky rockets are going off everywhere.

There was a post here a year or two ago about a special club which apparently has some kind of American equivalent New Years Eve party. I forget the name of the place. You will need reservations. Other than that, ask your apartment rental agent. The major hotels are open. I was at the Marriott one NYE years ago and they actually had rooms available.

I was in Haarlem for the last NYE. We went outside at midnight and the skyline of Haarlem was spectacular. Most of the neighborhood was out watching or setting off their own stuff. Neighbors invited us in for some more champagne and that awful bread cake they eat on that night. I forget the name of it at the moment but it is a national tradition. Maybe they saved it from last year because Dutch bread is delicious.

Your cigar loving friend is going to be in heaven in Amsterdam. The Dutch make great cigars from Sumatra tobacco. I have been a fan for decades. These are dry tobacco cigars, not the Carribbean sort. They break easily so dip the tip in your brandy for a moment before cutting it. A good waiter will know what to do. To stock up visit the famous cigar shop on the Rokin. I forget the name of it. I get mine from Jan van de Pigge in Haarlem, on the Grote Houtstraat across from the V+D department store. It is a small but very well-stocked store. That would be a good excuse to visit Haarlem, a great little city.

For a restaurant see if the Luden on Spuistraat is open. Good food, prices, and service.

For the ton of booze you friend might want to stock up the apartment. Try the local Jenever. Ketle 1 (the Dutch original of Ketle One vodka) is a good one. I brought back a duty free liter in January. Ask for the Jonge ("young&quot. In the cafes you can order Jenever, pronounced "yen ay ver," by simply asking for a Jonge, pronunced "yoong uh". It comes at ice box temperature in a little flute glass filled over the rim. See if he can pick it up without spilling a drop.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM

I can appreciate your desire to fly out of PHL and in my experience fares that high for that time of year seem excessive.

Of course, the problem is with PHL and the fact that USAirways dominates everything.

Have you tried looking for fares on consolidator and aggregator sites?

It may be worth your while to drive to BWI or JFK to get the benefits of increased competition.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:20 AM
stevefrat

Hi again,

Hopscotch, thanks for the detailed suggestions. When you say not much is open, are you talking about EVERYTHING including bars, nightclubs, etc.?

Looks like I'll have to do more digging for airfares.

Thanks again for the advice, and by all means, keep 'em coming!

-Steve

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM
stevefrat

ttt

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:49 PM

In Haarlem everything was welded shut except one sleeze joint on my previous visit three years ago. We didn't even look for an open place on this visit.

For Amsterdam I remember that we walked and walked and walked, dodging fireworks everywhere. We finally found the bar in the Marriott. It was open but nearly deserted. No horns or hats or hoolabahbah.

Sorry for the disappointing report. I am only the messenger.

Somebody on this forum must remember the thread about the club in A'dam with a NYE program a year or two ago. Keep on topping. Nine months to go. It's only March!

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:14 PM

stevefrat - go to www.itasoftware.com I put in the dates depart PHL 12/27 return 1/2 and they show fares as low as $614 non-stop on United.

Tom
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Amsterdam -- which is a city I adore -- is not known for its great eateries, although it does have a few, of varying cuisines, so I would suggest that you do some research and book well in advance by e-mail or phone (most Dutch speak English). Be sure they allow cigar smoking.

I visited Amsterdam the week after New Year's and it rained sideways! The wind just blows the sea mist into your face constantly. If you can find them, invest in some laminated maps and bring appropriate rain gear and scarves. The weather did not stop me from walking all over Amsterdam --- world's greatest town for window shopping -- or taking canal cruises. And you may luck out with a spell of dry weather. But you'll be more comfortable if you can keep your head and face and feet dry.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM
stevefrat

Wanted to clarify that the airfare I'm seeing is about $600/ticket, $1200/total.

Thanks for the replies.

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:18 PM

stevefart,
I am afraid that you have seriously damaged your credibility. I.e., NOW you say for TWO people $1,200.