New Year's Eve in London

Search

New Year's Eve in London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year's Eve in London

We are spending a few days between Christmas and New Year in London. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go on NYE? We were thinking of maybe dinner at a hotel that had a band or some sort of "party" afterwards. We are young 50s. Also, any theater and/or restaurant recommendations? Thanks for any information.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 01:46 AM

If you have a search on NYE London you'll find loads of old threads (ie this comes up once a year!)

All I would say is if you see something you like the sound of, book NOW as they will sell out fast, also expect to take an eye-watering hit to the wallet.

The posher hotels would probably offer the sort of thing you're looking for.

London is horrible on NYE. truly truly horrible.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 03:34 AM

< Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go on NYE? >

Anywhere but London (and Dublin)
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:01 AM

In all seriousness I can't stress this enough. Central London on NYE is an ordeal not a pleasure.

Really don't come here for this. If you are here at the time and want to go out make sure you get a ticket as soon as you can otherwise you won't be able to get in anywhere.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I LOVE London - but have to agree that on NYE it is not a great place to be unless you have local friends to celebrate w/. The posh hotels all have packages, but you will pay more that your transatlantic airfare for some of them.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. You've given me something to thing about. We will be there NYE, so we'll try to stay low key. Thanks, anyway.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:07 AM

Where are you staying? - we might be able to help (it's not all hellish - I go to a very nice pub in Notting Hill that is just locals and a few friends).
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Last year we went to London for Christmas and New Years. On New Year's Eve we went to a wonderful Viennese style concert at the Barbican. Unfortunately there was an underground strike that night, so getting back was a bit of an ordeal, especially since busses weren't running to the Strand either due to the firewords and crowds there. So we ended up walking back to Covent Garden (after a taxi took us a couple blocks and couldn't go any further). We ended up having dinner at midnight in Chinatown.

We had a wonderful New Year's Eve, despite the transportation issue. I'm glad I didn't check here before going or we wouldn't have been able to -- knowing that London is the worst place in the world to go then. Incidentally, if people hate mobs of people struggling to see a magnificent display of fireworks over the Thames -- well, London is a big place and offers more than that little section of crowds. I would think it's also possible to go to New York for NYE and avoid the ball drop at Times Square if you want to.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

We are at the Hilton on Park Lane. I'm starting to think this was a very bad idea, so any suggestions will be really helpful. thanks.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Well I don't know anything about watching American balls drop but....

As I said in my post about my own NYE, it is perfectly possible to have a nice time. However I think the chances of a tourist finding something like that are fairly slim, and would require a slice of luck.

The bit that I think is horrible is basically central London and the west end. What you get is loads of people (out-of-towners mainly) crowding into the centre with no real idea of where they want to go, they are all drunk and when they find out that they can't get into any of the pubs they get miffed. Miffed, pissed, brits are best avoided.

Most of us local tend to stay in our own area for the evening - either with friends or in local pubs and restaurants (booked well in advance).
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:39 AM

I'm sure that the Park Lane Hilton will be having a ball or function of some sort. Give them a call - you could do a lot worse.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

By the way, we don't mind walking at all and will walk miles in the city so staying at the Hilton on Park Lane is anywhere decent in walking distance? Thanks once again.