Which musical to see in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know of any hot new musicals to see in London? I've seen Bombay Dreams, Mama Mia, Chicago... What's a must see there right now? I'll be there for a few nights in 2 weeks.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:51 AM

Well it's not a 'hot new musical' but one of my favorites is Blood Brothers. I have to see it everytime I go to London.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:17 AM

You may try the revival of My Fair Lady at the Royal Drury Theater.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:20 AM
aj

I second My Fair Lady! We have seen the show twice. The second time we took our adult children whith us and they thought the play was the highlight of the tirp to London.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Rag Time...its amazing!
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:09 AM

I'm in London now. Just saw My Fair Lady last week and it is a wonderful production (I've seen it many times and been in it twice).

Last year's top winning musical was OUR HOUSE, which is a sort of BLOOD BROTHERS type of musical. It is based on popular music from the late 70's and 80's by a group called Madness. Interesting story line -- a 16 year old boy is caught by the police breaking into a property to impress his girlfriend and he must choose whether to turn himself in or to run and begin a life of crime. We then see two versions of him over the years in the two possible avenues his life can take. Great rousing numbers and an excellent cast. Very enjoyable. And you can go to www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk and look at the specials, getting half price tickets ahead of time.

Calamity Jane opens this week for about a three month limited run. This is a surprisingly fun musical seldom done. I'm seeing it Friday night so can't comment on it yet.

There is talk, I understand (from gossip in the TKTS waiting line) that Ragtime may be closing early. It is not doing very well. I loved it in New York and haven't seen it here, but one friend who saw both productions said the London one simply isn't exciting.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:22 AM

Ragtime is closing early and I think My Fair Lady is going to close too after quite a long run. If you will be there before MFL closes I'd really recommend it, great show! Can also recommend Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, it's a delightful show and one adults and kids can enjoy, we saw it in April and it was a lot of fun.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Not new but I loved 125th Street which I've seen twice now.

If you like the soulful music of Aretha Franklin, Percy Sledge, Otis Redding etc then you'll really enjoy this.

Also we found it easy to get tickets in the centre and in the first rows, when booking seats online following the link from the theatre's site.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Hi ... can never go wrong with Les Mis, as its still playing ... Z
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:43 PM

You may want to check May 17 thread for "Can you recommend a play in London" for some other suggestions.

Just in case I extracted my comments from that thread.

""Jerry Springer, The Opera" has grown into one of the funniest pieces of modern music theater ever to be seen at the National Theatre.

With lots-and I mean lots-of foul language, blasphemy and invective insults.

..music is so consistently invective and inspired that its delights never seem to pall"

The above quotes are from the May 8 Wall Street Journal.

The show is on until July 5. The website is:
www.nationaltheatre.org.uk

The review from the WSJ intrigued me so much, I looked for another and found this from The Times.

Benedict Nightingale's best London shows

JERRY SPRINGER , THE OPERA
National: Lyttelton, SE1, continuing (020-7452 3000)

IT SEEMS weird to present events in America's sleaziest talk show as they might have been set to music by Handel, Wagner and others, but it works brilliantly. The fun-level drops in the second half, when Springer (Michael Brandon, above) brings Satan, Jesus and God into a crumbling studio for fisticuffs; but when the opera's creators Stewart Lee and Richard Thomas deal with losers, betrayed lovers, coprophiliacs with nappy fetishes or any other variety of trailer trash, it's hilarious.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Good suggestions, I think I'll try My Fair Lady. (Patrick, I've already seen Our House, forgot to mention that one. You're right, great show!) Royal Drury Theater is in Covent Garden, right?

And, www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk is a great site. I wasn't familiar with this site, so thanks. It appears My Fair Lady isn't one of the shows offering a discount but I'll call the theatre tomorrow to see if any good seats are left.

Is Blood Brothers a high energy show? Patrick, you said it's like Our House? In what way?

So many great choices, so little time!

Thanks to all for your advice! It's hard to go wrong with theater in London.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 02:17 AM

The story of Our House is that a 16 year old boy breaks into a construction site to impress his girlfriend. He's caught by the police and must decide whether to turn himself in, or to run and begin a life of crime. His father is a criminal recently released from prison and he acts as a narrator. For the rest of the show, we see one actor play the good and the evil sides of the same character as we see events which would happen in either of the paths he could take. It has that same "bittersweet" music and story-line as Blood Brothers, but actually has even more rousing song and dance numbers as well. I thought it was terrific, even though I didn't have a clue who "Madness" or lead singer "Suggs" (who now plays the father/narrator)were.

Incidentally, last night saw Calamity Jane which opened this week at the Shaftesbury for a limited run into September. I thought it was a terric show also. Again, I didn't have a clue who Tonya Willcox (sp?) is, but she is a real fireball on stage -- not the greatest singer in the world, but really fun and energetic. The rest of the cast is quite good too, and there is some fun staging -- like the miniature train that crosses the stage to indicate going to and coming back from Chicago. I hadn't seen this show on stage and only vaguely remember the old movie with Doris Day, but what a fun stage musical it is!
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 01:43 PM
mjs

Another vote for MFL. We had front row seats which for this theatre gives great views. My children loved it and my wife was glad we talked her into seeing it.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Just a question (criticism), why ask for the hot new musicals and decide that My Fair Lady is the one to see? Didn't that originally open in 1956 or 1957?
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 05:19 PM

My Fair Lady is a wonderful show-music, acting, theatre, set, and dancing are all great. Read that it is closing in September, I believe. Go see it. Get tickets from half-price ticket booth, about 25 pounds for 3rd row center in May. Such an appropriate show to see in London-theatre is wonderful and so are the actors.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 08:13 PM

I would also recommend Blood Brothers. Saw it last Monday night (June 9), got tickets that morning at the half-price ticket booth in Leicester Square and got second row seats. Enjoyed it very much.