Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New to Fodors! Where to honeymoon in early December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi..

I'm planning my honeymoon trip from 7th Dec to 21st Dec 2014 and would love to get some advice on how to plan the destination!

We are from New Delhi.. And would like to travel to Europe for 2 weeks! We are open to all places.. But would prefer that the weather is tolerable.. Nice cool days (decent sunlight) and chilly nights!

Though this might not be the best time to spend on the beaches but we're looking for places where we can relax (after the wedding madness) and then do some adventure activities later on. How I wish there was a place where we would find a mix of beaches, mountains and fun city life!

The problem we're facing is there are so many places to go and the time we have is limited.. Would like suggestions from all you seasoned travelers.. About the best, most preferred places to go around this time..

I hope I've given enough information for you to help me decide? Let me know if I need to explain something Looking forward to your suggestions!!
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 12:18 AM

You will not find beach weather anywhere in Europe in December.
Southern Spain will have tolerable weather; sevilla, granada. Or stick to Italy and visit Rome, Florence, Venice. Count on rain and chilly weather, even in southern Spain.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 12:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
December, I'd forget beaches though you might be lucky in the Canary Islands, even southern Portugal will be 18-20C at best.

Day light is pretty short while mountains will generally be either wet or cold or both (depending on where anything from 5C to -15C)

So to get away from the worst of the wetness of the Atlantic you need to way inland so Germany/Austria/Northern Italy might be of interest. Weather may be bad but at least not as wet.

Start to look up Christmas Markets on the web, or think about a snow based holiday.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt replies Tulips and bilboburgler!!

Where would you suggest we go for a snow-based holiday then? We've got two weeks with us..
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

How does Morocco + Spain sound? Is two weeks too less?

Should I focus on 1 place??
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 03:56 AM

Europe has a temperate climate - not a semi-tropical one. You will not find beach weather anywhere.

If you stay in the most southern areas you can temps in the 50s during the day (unless there is an unusual cold snap) and chillier at night.

Anyplace north of that you can easily get colder daytime temps with a lot of rain (or sleet, snow further north) possible.

Apparently the summer has been fairly cool in europe this year -but don't know if that means the winter will be especially cold.

A friend of mine went to Venice the week before Christmas and they go rain every day but one (that was snow) and the temps did not go above the low 40s. It is certainly possible to get snow in the middle of Italy, mountains in southern Spain and mainland Greece.

If you want a cold/snowy holiday head for the mountains of Germany, Austria, or BeNeLux nations. Switz is great - but very expensive - esp the winter resorts.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 04:06 AM

"BeNeLux nations" also called "the low countries" ;-) so no.

as as NYT says, Gemany, Switzerland, Austria in the mountains, Slovenia in the Julien Alps and then Bulgaria/Romania in the mountains.

also France on the East side in the Alps, Italy on the north side in the Alps, then also Norway (expensive) (Lillihammer say), Sweden (Are), Finland (Levi) to the north and up in the mountains.

If were starting out I'd try and get a week's package to say Zell-am-Zee in Austria with lessons included in case you don't like it and would prefer to sit by roaring open fires and look out at it.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 04:09 AM

Morocco, if you go, stay away from the coast as even here it rains and gets down to a chilly 20C, Marrakesh (fly from Seville I think) should be sunny and 24C, very pleasant. Luxor in Egypt will also be 24-26C and with very few tourists about is a risky but very low cost holiday destination (we were there two years ago at Christmas and had a whale of a time despite the problems in Cairo)
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 05:58 AM

<<Apparently the summer has been fairly cool in europe this year>> Huh? Which part of Europe has been fairly cool? It is 86F in Stockholm and the weather has been warm since Easter in Sweden. Temps in the south of France have been in the 80s since May. London is a cool 77F but has been in the 80s for much of of last month.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Most of Italy has been very chilly and wet this summer. We didn't pull out our summer clothing until mid-June, and we've only turned our fans on twice this summer.

We were in Scotland in June, and it was hotter (and much drier) there than is was here.

As for the rest of Europe, this article seems to indicate that the chilly conditions existed also in France and Germany, at least as of the end of June:

http://notrickszone.com/2013/06/25/u...ng-to-germany/

I did hear that parts of Scandanavia were having what they call a heat wave.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 08:13 AM

The south of France has been very hot this year, from at least May. Your article is from June 2013.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 08:37 AM

OOPs. Well, it's certainly been chilly in most of Italy. The coolest summer since I came here in 1998.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 01:24 PM

It,s been very warm in mist of northern Europe, except for the first half of July.

Anyway, for the OP; for December I would choose to visit cities; London, Paris, Rome, Vienna..... it may be cold, but great atmosphere, lots to do and visit. Or if you want to include the mountains, go to a ski resort for 5 days or so. Combine this with a city. The winter holidays have not started yet early December, you'll be able to find a romantic mountain hotel somewhere. Make sure it is high enough to be sure of snow. Just forget about 'summer activities' that time of year.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 01:32 PM

Most of Northern Europe. Ipad typing.....
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

So I'm thinking.. Southern Spain + Morocco? Possible in 2 weeks?

How much time should I spend in each place? What all fun adventure activities would be possible?

Would appreciate some help in itinerary building!!
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 01:03 AM

Marrakesh and surroundings include, visiting the high atlas mountains, visting the souk and the main square, visiting the French quarter, visiting various museums, spas, camel riding, horse riding, bike riding, off road driving etc and I would plan on a minimum of 5 days and a max of 10. Your critical choice is where to stay, in the old town in a converted merchants house which can be very lovely or in the international area which is more like you would a cheap holiday inn (though there are up market ones so chose carefully).

For more details go to the Africa section of Fodors.

Southern Spain, the history held in Seville, Cordoba and Grenada are the key draws, but again horse riding is good.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone

Yes I'll post all Morocco-related questions on the Africa section!

Meanwhile, I've been doing some research on Southern Spain..
Andalusia to be precise.. But it's not exciting me enough..

Cordoba, Granada, Seville - all these places are all about history and palaces etc only? Are there things to do apart from all the sight-seeing? This would impact my decision to go there.. Please help! I found out we can go skiing near Sierra Nevada.. Any other activities?
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

The more I'm researching on Spain.. The less likely I am of visiting..

Now I'm focussing on Italy.. Amalfi Coast, Naples and Rome.. For one week!?

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 01:09 AM

December is the issue, it just gets cold and miserable and the places that are still warm are only just warm.

Focus on Africa or places like Caneries for warm and fun outside. Or go for snow.
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Really?

I picked Amalfi region because I read a lot of people travel there during Christmas / New Year holidays etc.

Now I'm back to square one :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -