COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

New State Dept. Warning for Italy

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:08 AM
Vita

New State Dept. Warning for Italy

Italy
October 2, 2001

As stated in the Department of State's Worldwide Caution dated September 28, 2001, U.S. citizens and interests abroad continue to be at increased risk of terrorist actions from extremist groups. The Department has received information that "symbols of American capitalism" in Italy may be targeted for attack in the next month. We will provide updated information should it become available.

U.S. citizens are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and to increase their security awareness. American citizens are also urged to avoid contact with any suspicious, unfamiliar objects, and to report the presence of the objects to local authorities.

American citizens may contact the American Citizens Services unit of the U.S. Embassy in Rome or the nearest Consulate by telephone for up-to-date information on security conditions in Italy. For further information regarding travel to Italy, please consult the Department of State's latest Consular Information Sheet for Italy, which is available on the Internet at http://travel.state.gov, and the U.S. Mission Italy web page at http://www.usembassy.it (click on "embassy and consulates").

The U.S. Embassy in Rome is located at Via Veneto 119a, telephone (24 hours)(39) 06-46741, fax (39) 06-4674-2217. The U.S. Consulates are located in the following Italian cities:Florence, at Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci 38. Tel: 39-055-239-8276/7/8/9, or39-055-217-605; fax: 39-055-284-088.Milan, at Via Principe Amedeo 2/10. Tel: 39-02-290-351 and fax: 39-02-290-35-273. Naples, at Piazza della Repubblica. Tel: 39-081-583-8111 and fax: 39-081-761-1804.

In light of recent events in the United States, Americans traveling and residing abroad should monitor closely the Department's Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, particularly the Department's Worldwide Caution, when considering travel abroad.

This Public Announcement is being issued to update U.S. citizens to concerns about safety and security of Americans and American interests in Italy. This Public Announcement expires on January 6, 2002.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:21 AM
x

Curious...what exactly do you think a "symbol of american capitalism" in italy would be? McDonalds? Ford cars? Tour busses?

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:35 AM
dan woodlief

Darned good question. Embassies, consulates, U.S.-based banks? Airliners? Doesn't make me feel good to be flying American out of Rome.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:51 AM
Book Chick

The airports in Rome have always been considered somewhat vulnerable spots. The reason is that for years if you were flying west from the Middle East (bound for western Europe, Americas, etc.), you would usually stop at a Rome airport, and the reverse (eastern-bound to the Middle East) was often also true. I think this warning is similar to precautions a lot of folks have taken in the past when traveling to Israel. (Like, if you see a suitcase & no one is standing next to it, move away from it as quickly as possible.)

I don't know if terrorists (and by definition, they are pretty deranged) would do anything to/near the Vatican, but I suppose, unfortunately, there may be the possibility of a "first time".
BC

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:52 AM
micia

Don't forget about all the American military based here.
Many people live on base too.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:00 AM
Chris

I felt weird standing in the area of the Uffizi where several years back a bomb went off.

Dan, I don't blame you. But you know what? The US allowed US airlines to go in and out of the US before they allowed foreign based airlines to go into and out of the US after Sept 11. Take it as comforting I guess!? I would assume that security would be much higher now -- after the very specific warning and
also because the airline is American.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:04 AM
Vita

Micia, Where is the American Military base? Not sure exactly where to avoid. I think the American Embassy is a few blocks from my hotel.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:12 AM
dan woodlief

You're right Chris. I am not one to get crazy about these types of warnings, but you know I am having an uneasy feeling that the threatened attacks may be aimed at one of the most visible signs of American capitalism - tourists (and I say this hesitantly because I don't want to sound like an alarmist). This would make you think Venice and Florence could join the ranks of possible targets, or they could target tour groups or even individuals.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:26 AM
Zazu

" American citizens are also urged to avoid contact with any suspicious, unfamiliar objects, and to report the presence of the objects to local authorities."

This makes me think of the bidet thread. Do be sure that what you report really is unfamiliar.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:34 AM
DJ

Dan,

I think you have hit this one on the nose. Just returned from Italy (9/28) and while there DID NOT come into contact with very many Americans. As a matter of fact,there were hardly any Americans. Most of the Tourists were Italian and German, with a few British. Tourism is a mighty large symbol of capitalism. The driver we had hired told us that this whole incident was hurting his business and the town (Sorrento) terribly. Just a thought.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:35 AM
dan woodlief

Vita, I am not sure about all the military bases, but I do know there are bases near Venice and Naples. I really doubt it would be a military base.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 11:41 AM
s.fowler

Zazu -- you rock

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 12:08 PM
Vita

Just wondering why the State Dept hasn't issued similar warnings about other European countries. Also, why can't I find this anywhere on the news sites?

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 12:16 PM
zz-top

Vita:

The state dept warning for Italy is on Yahoo news report. I happened to access it via The Drudge Report (www.drudgereport.com).

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 12:17 PM
eric

I wonder if the big Cavalieri Hilton hotel, which sets high up on a hill just outside Rome, would be a target? It is certainly a symbol of Aermican capitalism?

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:04 PM
micia

Vita: There are bases all over Italy from the very south to the very north and everywhere in between.
I seriously doubt you will be anywhere near them during your trip here.
Most are located in out of the way locations, they are not in touristy spots.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:06 PM
RC

Vita,

The State Dept has not issued similar warnings on other European countries because, as the news report had indicated, the Italian Prime Minister apparently made some remark about how the western nations will triumph over Islam. Not exactly the right thing to say these days.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:09 PM
Kate

Well...that pretty much is the nail in the coffin for us. We were on the fence about whether or not to go to Rome (10 yr wedding anniv. trip. In-laws watching our 3 yr old & 1 yr old daughters in our house...would have been perfect.) We really weren't worried about terrorism...just that if something happened, we'd be separated from our girls. Now we could worry about both! It's not worth the potential anxiety. Italy will still be there for us to visit later. Now...what do we do for anniversary?

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:23 PM
Nan

Kate, was your pun intended?

Pick a nice place you can drive to for your anniversary, relax, have a good dinner and still be near your family.
After all you and your husband will be together and that is what matters, not where you are.
Europe will be there for another anniversary.
Have a happy time.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:34 PM
Kate

Nan...I guess that I'm in a punny mood. Thanks for your kind words. Yes, we'll figure out an alternate trip. Well...now I have something to plan! For the last three weeks, I haven't been doing any Roma research/planning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO