new Paris Tours or Paris Walks Tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting Paris Labor Day Week. With a Tuesday, Sept. 8 arrival at 8:20 AM (all night flight), I was intending to try for the 1 PM free tour in front of the fountain at Place Saint-Michel since I am staying in St. Germain. After reading 36 hours in Paris, I thought maybe I should rethink this trip with Paris Walks Tours and forget the new Paris tours. I would like comments from those who might know both tours. Is the new Paris Tour more of a city overview on foot and I can get more specific areas with Paris Walks as per their Sept. schedule? Please advise.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM

We were in Paris in July and did 2 walking tours with I Prefer Paris and they were great.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM

http://www.eyepreferparistours.com/

I forgot to give you the link.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Dorie. I am wondering if there are additional comments on this post.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 05:29 AM

A friend recently did the New Paris tours and was delighted with them (their first time in Paris). It is an overview and lasted 3 hours. You might rethink doing this your first day as you may be tired. You can just show up if you have the energy for a three-hour walk.

I've done about a dozen Paris Walks tours and love them. They are 2 hours each, you show up at the designated spot (only specific tours are to be booked ahead such as the Chocolate tour or a bus tour). The guides are knowledgeable and friendly. These tours are more in depth than an overview tour as they address the subject of the tour. For instance, Paris during the Occupation walk is about the area of the city that you walk and interesting facts about what was going on at the time. The walks are intended to be both informative and entertaining and they are both.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:12 AM

went to the ipreferparis website. 175 euro for a tour? sandeman's free Paris tour
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:12 AM

We've done most of the Paris Walks and particularly like Hemingway's Paris. The only downside to these is that many of them go along public streets and there might be traffic so a large group might get fragmented. And the people in the back of a large group may not be able to hear what the guide is saying, either because of the size of the group or traffic noise.

Pjk
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:27 AM

I haven't had a problem with hearing the Paris Walks guide. Normally they duck into a courtyard or side street where it's quiet before resuming their talk. And they always wait for the entire group when crossing a busy street.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:32 AM

I've done several Paris Walks and think they are good value for the money. You will see places and hear stories that are not in the guidebooks. I'd agree that some of the tours can get a bit large and they do stop in areas of higher noise. The guides adjust to this. I always make sure to keep up a good pace so as to be nearest to the guide. The tours tend to go at a good pace, so that they can pack in the most in the ~2 hrs.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM

A small group of friends did a tour with Eye Prefer Paris and it's not worth Euro175. The guide was self-promoting, smug American living in Paris, was a bit off putting with how 'lucky' he was living there and 'other poor Americans never having the chance sort of thing.
I have done half a dozen tours with Paris Walks and asked the friends to come along too. They enjoyed it so much more and only Euro12 per person. Great value.