Reload this Page >

New Luggage Screening Laws

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Erin

Hi everyone-<BR>I returned home on Jan. 2 from a vacation with my husband and friends. When I claimed my luggage, I noticed immediately that my luggage had been opened, as can be expected with the new bag screening rules that started 1/1. My husband and had I zip-tied our bags before departure, and there was different color zip-tie on my bag when I got it at our home airport. I normally lock my bag, but I did see on CNN prior to leaving that you shouldn't do that anymore b/c they will break the lock to get into your bag. I know that these new rules are supposed to protect us, but I can't help but feel a little violated. When I got home, I did find the note the TSA said they would put inside the luggage to inform you that your bag has been searched. It basically said &quot;we opened your bag because we found something that could potentially be harmful, and may have removed items from your luggage.&quot; Another thing that makes me nervous is the government is not responsible for anything that is missing or taken from your luggage- we have absolutely no recourse. I sat looking at my bag as I carefully unpacked trying to figure out what they could have seen on that scan that could have come back as potentially dangerous, and to see if they did remove anything (they didn't). The best thing I could come up with is my hairdryer. I always carry on all valuables, but I still feel that I should be able to be present anytime my bag is opened. Has this happened to anyone else?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:14 AM
mhs

Guess I'm very very naive, but I thought that on international flights after the Scotland crash, ALL check-through bags were x-rayed. &amp; that that was why we were asked to be at airport 2 hrs prior to flight. Bags didn't need to be left unlocked then. So why is any new procedure necessary now? <BR>... or, was our Government lying to us?<BR><BR>Yes, Erin, I too strongly object to having anyone go into my luggage unless I am present to observe possible stealing or, even worse, putting something illegal into it. Given the non-American, and criminal backgrounds disclosed re the terminal screeners you know those behind the scenes are as bad or worse.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Eva

We will be coming back to JFK from France. Do we have to keep our bags unlocked?<BR>Then we are transfering to Rochester. When do we lock and when do we unlocked our bags in this case?<BR><BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Ira

Hi Erin,<BR> You did the right thing and so did the TSA.<BR> Would you have preferred to be called out to the baggage area to stand in line with all of the other folks who were supervising the inspection of their baggage?<BR> Was anything missing? Was anything added?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Howard

Eva, aren't you checking your bags all the through to your final destination? If so, you don't need an answer to the question.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Nancy

To be clear, you can still lock your luggage. The Transportation Safety Administration has only RECOMMENDED that you leave bags unlocked. This is not an enforceable regulation or law, it is only a recommendation. They want to save the time and trouble of having to cut or break open locks if they need to get into your bag. If you have a suitcase with a lock which is physically a part of the bag, they may have to break the lock and may damage the suitcase in the process. If you lock your bag with one of those locker-type locks, they will cut if off if necessary to inspect the contents. Many people want to save themselves the hassle of broken locks, and so they are leaving their suitcases unlocked. I flew from Newark to Zurich on Friday with 3 unlocked suitcases and did not have anything taken, nor were my bags even opened as far as I can tell. <BR><BR>As for your question on your connection, if you go through customs at your arrival airport (JFK for examples) then you should leave your bags unlocked again when you check in or put your bags through for your connecting flight. The moment you have access to your bags (like when going through customs with them), they will be subject to inspection for your next connecting flight.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Erin

Everyone is posting some interesting answers to my question. Ira, I did leave one thing out. On my flight to our destination my husband and I both had our luggage hand searched, which we were present for and I had no problem with. It was on my return flight home that my bag was opened and searched when I was not present. I would much rather be present when they do this. I was just reading an article on MSNBC.com about the new procedure. I was under the impression that the TSA was scanning 100% of the bags and then opening the ones that showed something potentially suspicious, but I was half right. They are scanning 90% (and then opening the necessary bags), hand searching 5% (no matter what), and the rest are being matched to flight lists (I believe that was the breakdown). Nothing in my luggage was missing or added. Having something added was something I never thought of, and could really open us all up to a lot of problems legally. <BR><BR>Eva- I had the same question as you do- when do we unlock our bags? I never (and still don't really) have a clear answer to this, so we just zip-tied and hoped for the best. You can get a pack f 15 of them for about a dollar at the hardware store. Going forward, I am no longer going to lock my cases. The airlines are not exactly gentle with them, and I am willing to bet that if a lock is forced open by the TSA the zipper will most likely be damaged. I've also decided that I will probably need to do an itemized list of the contents of my checked luggage.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Ira

Hi Erin,<BR> You certainly had some bad luck on that trip.<BR> I occurs to me that your hair dryer might have looked like a pistol to the scanner. Was it a compact size?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Erin

Ira-<BR>My hair dryer is one of those big numbers, not a compact one that most people travel with. I still can't figure out what was in my bag that prompted the search- I could have been part of the 5% that they are going to search no matter what. You were right- I had some bad luck going to my destination and back!! We had alotted 2 hours for airport time, and we cut it VERY close. For my trip to London I am going to be sure to alot even more time!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:34 AM
debbie

Actually - yes, why can't we be present when our bags are searched? The plane isn't going to leave before the bags are searched anyway - so why should my property be searched without me there?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Nancy

<BR>I agree with the above poster, and I think the travelling public has to make a big issue out of this and require that screening machines be put in terminals so that your bags are checked in your presence, and you can then lock them. If enough people protest and start suing airlines for lost items, procedures may change. Right now, the screening machines are behind the scene in most cases.<BR> <BR>In many countries, especially in Asia, bags are x-rayed right in the terminal in a special line that everyone enters before check-in. The bag is screened and a loop wire is put around the entire bag that indicates it has been screened. You cannot open the bag thereafter without breaking the loop. If you try to check a bag without a wire loop, you have to go back and get your bag re-screened. This procedure is in place in Bangkok and New Delhi and various other airports. It takes a bit longer, but you at least can be present when your bags are checked and opened.<BR><BR>You have every right to and should protest at the check-in if you are required to leave bags unlocked and you cannot be present when they are checked. You might even ask the airline to sign an agreement to be responsible for any items lost during the inspection. Not too enforceable, but if enough people make enough of a protest, procedures may change.<BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Erin

Nancy and Debbie-<BR>I agree with both of you. I personally was stunned when I learned of this new procedure- I felt that that it was 'sprung' on the American public. Unfortunately, I think that a lot of items are going to have to go missing and a huge fuss will have to be made before this is procedure is changed. This is a travel website, not a political site and I'm surprised this conversation hasn't taken that turn yet (I'm grateful it hasn't), but this seems like unreasonable search and seizure to me.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Ronda

We traveled the week after they came out with the recommendation to not lock your checked luggage so I dutifully went out and bought zip ties. At San Jose International (United) our checked luggage was x-rayed right there in the terminal. They asked all to remain until their bags had been cleared in case they needed to be opened. Something in my son's suitcase required his to be opened. Probably a hairdryer.<BR><BR>The last place we had taken our suitcases was Hawaii. My son and I swaped suitcases for our Christmas trip. When repacking the suitcase to come home, I discovered to my horror that his DIVER'S KNIFE was in a zippered pouch. I'm talking 6 inch blade here. Was I asked to open my suitcase? Was the knife discovered? NOOOOOOOoooooo That should make us all feel REAL secure.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Howard

To Erin:<BR>1. You shouldn't have been stunned. This procedure was hardly &quot;sprung&quot; on us. There was plenty of pre-publicity about it.<BR>2. &quot;Unreasonable search and seizure&quot;? Hey, that's a bit of an overreaction, I think.<BR>Would you rather have less security at airports?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Debbie

I don't think the extra security is a bad thing,<BR><BR>BUT<BR> I do have a problem with people being able to open my suitcase outside of my presence. In these days where , if drugs or other illegal substances are found - if it is your bag, you are basically guilty - how can someone prove that they did not put the item it the luggage? <BR>Talk about a breeding ground for planted evidence. <BR>While this may not be a big problem for traveling to most places in Europe- doesn't it make you think twice about the middle east? and places where you are NOT innocent until proven guilty?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Erin

Howard- Perhaps you are right- the new procedures were well publicized, but I was not aware that they would be opening bags without the owner being present. I didn't hear anything until right before Christmas about not locking our bags, and it was only then that I realized what was going to happen.<BR>Of course I am all for additional security. I also understand the need for a certain level of secrecy as to security policy and procedure. I also agree 100% with Debbie's last post- the new procedure will expose us to a whole new set of potential problems.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Howard

Erin, thanks for showing that two people can disagree on the forum and not have it turn into a war of words!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Chicken Little

Nancy,<BR><BR>&quot; If enough people protest and start suing airlines for lost items, procedures may change.&quot;<BR><BR>With all of the publicity the security procedures have received since 9/11, and you still think the airlines are in charge of securtiy and<BR>inspecting your luggage???????? Better re-read the procudures. The government is now in charge of security and screening!<BR><BR>Just to play it safe, maybe you had better plan on suing the airlines and the governmant. I'm sure some staving lawyer would be willing to take the case and further clog our court system.<BR><BR>Chicken Little

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Chicken Little

OOPS! &quot;suing the airlines and the governmant.&quot; Try government. Sorry.<BR><BR>Chicken Little

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Shanna

After getting flim-flammed by the &quot;security staff&quot; at Miami a few years ago and having a bag stolen by them, I have some very serious reservations about leaving my luggage open for anyone to go through. At DCA in November, they x-rayed the bag right next to the counter and gave us our tickets only after the bag passed inspection. We were there if they needed to open it. And I've had my luggage opened many times already, with everyone watching who wanted to. Which constitutes about one person, under the age of 4. Everyone else was busy with their own business. Sure, TSA did broadcast information about the new 100% inspection, but they said they were going to X-ray; not until December did I also hear the absurd suggestion that we leave our bags unlocked. An unlocked bag is an open invitation to steal and to use it to transport illegal goods from one place to the next without detection. All you need is a couple of collaborators on each end. And is it not possible for an angry or whacko TSA employee to plant a bomb in someone's bag since it is open? Once again, the gov't has jumped on a bandwagon with no driver. I'm a federal employee - trust me, you can't trust us. Any chance Federal Express could please start a baggage transport service, asap? Until then, I'll carry it all on the plane. Whooppee!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -