new luggage rules on trains

Old May 24th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new luggage rules on trains

yesterday in the paper it said that because of the Madrid incident they were making you stay with yourluggage at all times. This could possibly mean standing..Has anyone had a recent experience with this. I see many posts about hoisting 26 inch suitcases up high..
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Italy..I meant to say for Italy!!!
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:13 AM

If you're talking about the trains traveling within Italy, we were just there and took the Eurostar trains several times between cities.

There is a shelf running down the length car above the seats that you can put your luggage on - but if you can't manage to get your suitcase up there, you can always stow it in the space between each section of seats. People were also leaving their luggage in the storage spaces at the end of the car, but I prefer to have mine close to me, if possible.

Didn't take any IC trains, so I can't comment on that.
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Singletail

I tend to travel heavy and I don't usually ask for help with my heavy suitcase...and, frankly, have little sympathy for others who cannot hoist their's above the seat. But that's a personal thing.

I am not convinced that requiring people to stay with their luggage is going to deter any religious, or other, fanatic from planting an explosive device just as I don't think stopping people from putting bags into certain luggage racks (e.g., on the TCV services in France) makes the train "more secure."
Bag scanning might do more than these "window dressing" efforts.

Old May 24th, 2004, 09:26 AM

You would have to be pretty weak not to be able to lift a 26" suitcase (unless it's filled with cast iron scraps). Or an unpleasant person who can't get some stronger person to help you.
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Weak? How about someone with a bad back?
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:16 PM

OK Rufus, I admit it, I'm WEAK! I gave up my 26" suitcase since I can't lift it above my head! I guess I need to start lifting weights or bring you on my next trip!
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:57 PM

I must be Weak, because last summer Icould not pick up my 22 inches carryon ...Of course, was full to the max..Thanks Heaven that I know how to flash a Charming smile...never had any problem finding someone to help me..
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:50 PM

Any more recent information on luggage restrictions on European trains? Are the baggage areas at the ends of the cars available again?
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:09 PM
GAC

I was in Italy last month, and travelled on several classes of trains, so I can report the following:

Eurostar: luggage racks at ends of railcar were available (and tend to fill quickly in second class), as were the overhead racks, and the wedge space between seat rows. Heavy luggage best fits in the wedge space on the floor. Overhead racks not as "generous" as those on Intercity trains.

Intercity: luggage racks above seats in each compartment; no racks at the ends of railcars. Overhead racks are quite tall and can accommodate bulky suitcases (though hoisting up heavy items can be a problem for some).

Local trains: luggage racks above seats; no racks at the ends of railcars, sometimes railcar ends have space to store bicycles.

Safety of leaving luggage on racks at ends of Eurostar railcars: if the train makes no intermediate stops (e.g. Rome to Florence; Rome to Naples, Florence to Bologna), usually no problem. Where there are stops (e.g. Florence to Milan, Florence to Venice or Milan to Venice), it's a good idea to take a peek while the train is sitting in the station, or use a luggage restraint to tie the suitcase to the rack.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM

Not Italy but the Thalys train from Paris to Amsterdam permitted all normal places for luggage to be used when I was on it in April. I asked the conductor about it and he said that they were not governed by French rules because they are an international train.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:00 PM

Good to know that more luggage options are available again. Will take a luggage restraint in case we find it necessary to use an end-of-car luggage area.